WASP BOSS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Daniele

WASP BOSS

Post by Daniele »

Bought some WASP BOSS 4 BLADES, 100 GR, shop was out of SLICTRICK; tried to fine tune my VIXEN with new 2216 Allum, 18 "
They are flying all over between 6" & 10 " apart, took me 10-15 shots to have a decent shot at 20 YDS.
I used to shoot 3 BLADE wasp, no problem; my target points were right on the money before i started with the new BOADHEADS; beacause of the accuracy with SLICKTRICK i am somewhat disappointed.
Suggestions/Opininions/Experiences?
Daniele.
N.B. I cocked every shot with cocking rope, bench support.
Good hunting, be safe.
TYE

Post by TYE »

You probably already did it, but did you adjust the scope to the broadheads?

Cuz that's wierd. You should be getting great accuracy with the Wasp broadheads. My Wasp's used to fly all over the place till I re adjusted my scope and sighted it in with the broadheads.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have been shooting the 4 blade Boss out of Exocet 200, the broad heads fly like darts and make a nasty wound. I would spin test the arrows you are using for straightness. If the shafts are Ok ,then spin to see if the inserts are in square. If the broadhead tip wobbles even slightly it will cause you all kinds of trouble.
Let us how things go with these broadheads.
Daniele

WASP BOSS

Post by Daniele »

Thank you guys,
the scope adjusments is what i meant with the amount of shots i had to take .
along with the new bolts and W.Heads i also purchased a spin tester and they all spin true, straight as an arrow ( A little pun here ); i have sometime this morning before going in to work, i will take a few more shots and see.
I will also try them with my Exomag,
Daniele.
Good hunting, be safe.
timberwolf

Post by timberwolf »

I had trouble also with 4 blade heads, they were all over the place, I could see the bolts going sideways, 3 blade wasps work great.

An artrery severed twice still bleeds the same, so 3 blade is likely the way to go, esp if a 4 blade won't hit the mark.
Daniele

WASP BOSS

Post by Daniele »

Did some more shooting with the old VIXEN, 2 of three bolts were flying the same, the other way off, i ended up twiking DZ scope to match the two good ones and retired the third one temporarily ( Only need one good shot per deer right? ).
Also shot WB out of EXOMAG, 2219's, not bad ranging in just a tad high, will leave things as they are now; more twiking after meat is in the freezer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daniele
Good hunting, be safe.
swiftfox

wasp boss

Post by swiftfox »

Daniele, I agree with timberwolf. I like the three blade. I shoot a vixen with l8" aluminum shafts. Works fine for me.And I don't think the buck I dropped last week really cared if it was a three blade or four blade that hit him. Good luck go get him!
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK guys . . .with all this talk about the broadheads shooting different, I had to give it a try. I have never tested a broadhead before, I just always shot the same grain broadhead as my target tip and I never had a problem. I shot the three blade wasp that came with my Exomax from 30 yards. It hit about an inch and half low. I carefully removed it from the block 4x4 target and shot again from 30 yards. The bolt missed the block by about an inch, buried into the ground. It was overall about 12 inches low and 4 inches wide. I then took the blades off and shot the wasp without the blades at 30 yards. I hit the bullseye. I shot four other target bolts and each hit the bullseye. I got the naked wasp again and shot from 30 yards, hit the bullseye.

Conclusion . . .apparently the target can bend the blades slightly or not being careful putting the blades on can cause a slight bend. I think I found the problem, the blades . . .thoughts??
shifty

Post by shifty »

thats a definate possibility summer
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

The Boss 3 blades don't fly well out my Exocet200 either past 30yds. Target tips work fine. Does fletching length make a huge difference (I'm a crossbow newbie after shooting a vertical for 20 years)? I am currently using 4" feathers from wild turkeys I have harvested. TC
Daniele

WASP BOSS

Post by Daniele »

Sumner,
you may have something there, both about the 2nd 3rd .....shot etc,
but with blades just installed? However i am not going to argue about it, all i want are straight flying bolts with broadheads on.
The reason i went 4 blades Wasp was because of the similarity to SLICKTRICKS which weren't available, when i was shooting 3 blades Wasps which came with my first XBOW ( VIXEN ), i always needed some slight adjustments from target heads, but easyly overcome, since then i have shot mechanical heads as well, successfully i might say.
I am puzzled about the difference in bolts with the same head on, all new and straight; i am not a tchno-wizard, once i shoot the bull's eye, i may take one or two more shots just to make sure, but by and large i don't spend hours dwelling and practicing varied set-ups for fun, i simply don't have the time for it.
Having said that i have gotten a lot great tips here by reading facts told by people that do just that and i am thankful to them and hope that they keep doing what they do , almost always they are the best resource we have about data otherwise not available anywhere.
On another note, i was going to hunt in the morning but my youngest has an ortho appt that if forgot about, guess who isn't hunting in the morning?
Thank you all for your opinions,
Daniele.
Good hunting, be safe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like to get one set-up too and stick with it. I just got my Exomax a couple of months ago. Never crossbow hunted before, but have had a lot of success with my compund bow. Shoulder problems and limited practice time made me switch to the crossbow.

I've been thinking about yesterday's experience with the WASP blades. My first shot was dead on, just slightly low with the blades on. After removing from the blade from the target, the second shot was no-where close. I was careful pulling it out, but, I don't think it would take much of a bend in the blade to throw the bolt off from 30 yards(especially at 350 FPS). The blades are so thin . . .maybe it's possible to bend them while tightening them onto the bolt.

Anyway, I've shot all kinds of different broadheads over the years with my compound bow and never had a problem. As long as the target tip and the hunting(broadhead) tip was the same weight, I always hit my target. I never target practiced with my hunting tips. However, with the increased speed associated with the crossbow, the result could be larger variances at the POI.

Going on my first hunt 11/01 . . . I'll do the real testing then . . .I really believe if the shot is well placed, any broadhead will make the kill. We just need to find our comfort zone. Confidence is everything.