Timing..need help.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jessejames

Timing..need help.

Post by jessejames »

I deer hunt southern ontario. I found a great spot for a stand and hunug it. There is alot of sign. Track, corn eaten, rubs, and more freash track on top of other freash tracks. I need help trying to figure out what these critters are doin when. I hunt in the morning from about 1/2 before twilet to around 10 or so. Then at night I will hunt from about 5 pm to about 1/2 hour into dark. Just to see if they move then. nothing. If there moving at night how do I go about handleing this. Thanks in advance? I'm friggen baffled all to hell.
jess
TYE

Post by TYE »

They could be moving in the middle of the day also. :wink:
MADMAX2

do the deer patern you?

Post by MADMAX2 »

jesse james try changing your hunting times, perhaps the deer have got you paterned.Try going in later and stay through the noon hour,good luck to you :!:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Jess you did not mention if your stand is on the edge of the field or in the woods. If it is deeper in the woods, I think your 5:00 in the evening is too late. I would not go out after 2:30 - 3:00 if at all possible. This would be to let everything settle down and the animals become comfortable again before their normal times to come out and feed.

IF you have no choice but those times, then you will have to just try and become lucky. But late arrivals I have found create a situation which leads to the deer to become nocturnal. If they become hisitant to move because of the noise, and hold up for an hour or so, then it would be dark before they do.

Other then just more hands on scoutting, the only thing I could offer for a suggestion is a trail cam or a device that triggers (counts and records time) when an animal passes. With the later, you will not know what the animal is like the camera will show.

Good Luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
cubb

Post by cubb »

up wind means that the wind is blowing your sent towards the deer right?
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

Yes cubb, that's correct.

Even in a treestand, the scent seems to swirl around a fair amount. I suppose it 'falls' a certain amount.. I was setup down wind and still had my doe sniffing the air and tossing her head about. You certainly don't want your scent to be blowing right at them whenever possible..
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

My Dad taught me sometimes you have to "make it happen" Try moving a little closer to where you think they are coming from. I tend to be an agressive hunter and look for "them" instead of waiting on "them"! Not saying it works all the time but if your ready for a change. Move slow and take your time.
Why ride when you can walk!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Hang a scouting camera!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS