Rust appearing on anodized parts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

boreal boy

Rust appearing on anodized parts

Post by boreal boy »

Last year I purchased a new exomax. This year was my first season crossbow hunting for moose. As advertised the excalibur series is extremely durable and accurate. I absolutely love my crossbow. Throughout the hunt I took regular maintenance care of the crossbow. After the hunt I noticed rust on the majority of anodized parts. What are people using to prevent this? Should I be placing oil on the trigger mechanism? Will oil damage the string?If anyone can respond to this it would be appreciated?
Wags

Post by Wags »

I purchased my Phoenix new in July and already it's rusting on some of the set screws? This crossbow has never saw rain and sits outside it's case in a dry dehumidified provided basement where nothing ever rusts! I took some gun cleaning oil and scrubbed it off then wiped it dry to cut down on it's smell. I'll keep an eye on it.

Wags
wabi

Post by wabi »

The screws are steel and will rust! I keep mine wiped down with my own formula of lube I made for my blackpowder guns (beeswax & neetsfoot oil). Never have rust problems, and it makes a decent rail lube, too. :wink:
wabi
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Even with regular cleaning you will probably find that most bolts will rust. You can keep wiping them down with oil rags or replace them with
stainless steel hardware. I like STAINLESS!
Why ride when you can walk!
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

one of the beautiful things about an excalibur is that you can easily remove the string, oil away to your hearts desire, and then easily re-attach the string. down here in coastal,warm,humid,sweaty,misty, rainy, north carolina this is a decided advantage. btw i like stainless too!
thanks philip
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I use a sheepskin pad that has been saturated with the lube for years. The stuff I make is very similar to T/C's bore butter. I wipe my crossbow down after every hunt paying special attention to screw heads. I also wipe the rail of the bow clear back to the claws. That way I get a light coat of lube on the arrow hold-down clip, too. Keep in mind this pad is impregnated with lube, but applies only a very light coat on the parts wiped with it! The bow does not feel "slick" to handle, but if I get caught in the rain water just beads up on it.
wabi
exocet

Post by exocet »

I also use Bore Butter with my muzzleloaders and will try it on my exocet. Thanks-Jack.