upgrading equipment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lucky strike

upgrading equipment

Post by lucky strike »

I have been using with great satisfaction a pre 2000 exocet-I have been
looking at the new selections and am thinking of upgrading ,but is it worth it??_ I am not talking $ here. I would like to know what difference I am to expect and which model to choose-would just changing the limbs on my present bow be the same as the new exocet? I get 270fps now is there that much difference at 330fps(55yds per sec vs. 45 yd per sec) ??need opinions .
thanks LS
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

How far are you really planning on shooting at a deer. Look at what speeds most bows are shooting at, your not that much slower. I thing wabi posted a reply an speeds a while back and not having that much concern with speed. Know your limitations with what you use and work with it. Unless your really wanting to spend some money on a new tool.
Why ride when you can walk!
hawg hunter

Upgrades

Post by hawg hunter »

Does your exocet have mag tip limbs? If not that could be a reasonable upgrade. about ???110.00 for about 20fpsmore. Be at about the same speed as a Phoenix I . Digger is the Guru when it comes modifying Excaliburs.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe the new model's increase in draw weight is a result of a re-designed riser and the limbs are still the same. The new riser angles the limbs forward. Changing the limbs only would change nothing (unless you are changing from the old carved limbs to mag-tipped limbs which would allow the use of fastflight strings). The new riser is also made to slightly different specifications and will not simply bolt on the old bow's rail and fit snugly. There is a slight difference in the width of the rail.
The best way to upgrade is to buy a new model and sell the old one! Or buy the new model and keep the old one. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'm not suggesting that you do this, but I modified my older caved tip Exocet to the newer specs. and now get 318 fps reliably with Gold Tip carbons/100 heads.

-Cost- $65 for Magtip limbs-(seconds). FFF string.
-1" homemade riser extension/drilled and tapped-to increase stroke.
-homemade identical angled aluminum shims under the limbs, not as angled as the newer riser slyle.

For over a year I was in contact with Exalibur about purchasing the newer riser to upgrade mine, but could not get one. Through some head scratching I came up with this inexpensive mod. About 600 shots have gone through this setup and all is tight and holding up perfectly.
I might add that I purchased the new Max. for my wife when they came out.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family