knifes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kinger

knifes

Post by kinger »

hey i was loooking at getting a new knife.. just wondering what everyone else uses or any suggestions for a good knife for field dressing and skinning deer
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

I really like my Buck Alpha Hunter fixed blade.
Riggs
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Two good tools are a gut hook with a skinning blade (two blades on the tool) for splitting the deer open from the bottom of the rib to the pelvic area. The gut hook is fool proof so you don't accidentily cut the guts during field dressing. The second is a heavy hunting knife with a serated edge up by the handle or a folding saw. This will let you cut through the pelvic bone and the rib cage.

I usually field dress and have the deer completely gutted from arse to the base of the neck. Just cut off the wind pipe and esophagus at the base of the neck and remove the rest of during butchering.

I've had this hunting knife for almost 20years and it has dressed a few deer with no other tools. Some of the older larger deer require a bit more elbow grease to cut the pelvic bone.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Nice knifes Ecoaster. Let me guess, the fixed blade knife is a PUMA, made in Germany, right?

If I'm correct that's one good knife, very hard rockwell.

The knives I use are ones that I made myself.

I'll post them one day. I know, I know, I keep saying how I'm going to post things and never do. I still want to post a big flock of geese that were feeding in a field not far from my place, that I told you about awhile back.

Grey Owl
Digger

Post by Digger »

my NAP skinner.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BOB VANDRISH

Knifes

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Kinger,it all depends on how you"do" your deer!
It does not take much of a knife to gut a deer,and with the way we do the skinning and deboning,any knife with a good edge works just fine.
Personally,I favour the Buck line of knives,and use their 110 folder for most of my work.
To give you some idea of how we go about it,what we do is take all four legs off at the joints,cut an incision all the way around the neck just under the jaw,and open up all four legs and the neck to the body cavity,and then we roll and skin back the hide at the neck,just enough to be able to insert a golf ball on the fur side of the skin,and tie the head to one car,and the cable with the golf ball and hide to another car,and back one car up slowly,and it peels the skin like a banana!
Mind you,we put poly on the ground first!
Then we just debone the animal,piece by piece,and never have to cut a bone.
If you want to save the ribs,which are delicious by the way,we use a butchers hack saw to take them off the remaining carcass.
I use an axe to chop up the rest for the garbage.
We started doing this years ago,and after you prepare the slits in the skin at the right spots,you can skin a deer out in less than a minute!
Be glad to give anyone a demo!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I split the animal at the pelvis and ribs to make for easier cleaning. I do this now with a browning field saw, but use to do it all with my knife. It was handed down to me when my Grandpa quit hunting in 1990. It's a Russel knife from the mid 50's or so I'm told. I don'y know a lot about knifes but I do know this thing is amazing. Will cut ribs of a doe or fawn with ease. Not to big great for gutting and even used it to scrape a hide I preserved last year. This knife really hold an edge all you need to do is use the steel after that. I've cleaned 5 deer in the last two years with this and it's never seen a stone. Just don't know if they still make them I realize it's not very pretty but it works.
BOB VANDRISH

knifes

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Big Ugly,that knife is still available from Knivesdirect.com.
Grohmann bought the Russell line of knives quite some time ago,and they are sold as Grohmann Russell.
I have one in my collection too,but it has never been used.
My original Buck Personal was bought through the mail in 1954,for $11,plus $5 duty!
Bob Vandrish.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have had this one for 2 years now and guted and skun 6 deer , and only had to touch up the edge once GREAT KNIFE !!
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/223/222
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/ ... kknife.jpg[/img][/img]
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Having been a knife junkie most of my life, I can tell you there are hundreds of top flight makers out there. I have many custom made knives by some of the best makers in this world. But my favorite is made by a fellow in Texas by the name of Weldon Whitley. Google his name and look at his folders. I have a double blade folder I carry only when I wear pants. Would not be without it. It's made out of C-60 steel and holds an edge better than anything I've ever used in my life. No, not cheap. This steel is no longer being made as the knife makers hated it (wore out there belts to fast). I designed the second blade myself for skinning. For going through the pelvis I use a hand axe, aka hatchet. My only regret about this knife as I did not have it 40 years ago. As I've told a great many people, it's a shame a guy has to live a life without this good of a knife. I been carrying a folder on my side before Buck came out with there first folder, do yourself a favor and get the best you can find and have a smile on your face and a song in your hart! Good tools are a passion!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I use gerbers in the field.. neve rhad any issues with them and you can always keep a pretty decent edge on them

for skinning.. well.. I use the knives we use to butcher beef and hogs :lol: Nothing you want to play with since the wrong slice and off comes your finger..

but the knife is only half of it.. the other half is the edge on it. If you cant keep your blade sharp or know how to sharpen one then its worthless
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I like the Green River knives, have three or four. Decent steel, easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty good, and inexpensive. Have boners and Skinners.

By the way, Big Al, what knive do you carry when your not "wearing pants"? Just kidding, it sounds like you have an impressive collection.

Regards
Joe
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Being a junkie sucks, not enough people come around for show and tell. The funny part is that you really don't know what a great blade is, you just keep thinking there should be something better than what you have. The last one, before the one you just got, gets forgotten rather quickly and it's on to the next fix. Does any of this sound familiar to you guys?
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

just one question, what is the hook for on the back of those straight blades?
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

hillerman wrote:just one question, what is the hook for on the back of those straight blades?
This is really a funny story among Knife makers about the origin of the hook, and what it was really intended for. It seems a custom maker was on a hunt with a guide in Canada, one of this guide's packers had a broken bladed knife that instead of tossing he had ground the knife to this shape to use for a pot holder hook for picking up cooking utensils out of the cook fire. I don't know if this story is true but knowing native hunters as I do, it has a strong ring of truth to me as I know these guys to be vary resourceful Men. Also the fellow that told me this story is a good friend and the past president of the "KNIFE MAKERS GUILD". So take it for what that worth, (knowing D'Holder to be a Texakan and all).