Lost one today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schnarrfuss

Lost one today

Post by schnarrfuss »

Went out this am and had a big buck come by me 3 different times. I good here this deer crashing around in the bush for 2 hours. The 3rd time was at 9am and it just appeared infront of me at 30 yards and in the thick stuff. No shot. As it turned to leave, I good see that it had a bolt sticking out of it a little high :?: :?: . As soon as I seen the fletch I knew it was my brothers, as he was set up in a stand about 200 yards behind me. What a bad feeling I had seeing this big buck walking around with the bolt in it. Turn's out, my brother took a 20 yard broadside shot at 6:30am and the buck ducked the arrow slightly. When we started tracking the deer we found lots of blood EVERYWHERE. I mean this buck was running all over this corner of the bush and at multiple spots we had 2 bloodtrails. When I last seen it, it was 2 1/2 hours after the shot and still going strong. We tracked it for at least 500 yards through mostly flooded thick bush and some hardwood bush. It did not bed down at all.

What would you guy's have done in this case?? I think it will expire sometime and we will probably go back in the morning with the dogs. Should I have gotton down from the stand after I seen it and go after it or what???
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I would not have gone after it right away. I would have let him settle down and wait until morning to try to recover the buck.

Never a good idea to chase after a injured deer. Let 'em lay down and stiffen up. If not dead in the morning might need to but another bolt in him.

IMO, you did the correct thing.

Good Luck
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

He.s right,I hit one low yesterday and he ran.When I went looking for him I saw him by a tree and walked up to him,5 feet away I was standing and he got up and ran.I saw where he went but didn't wait long enough again,he sat down again for a minute then got up.This happened over and over for an hour till I could finally get A shot off.Even though I knew I should leave him,I couldn,t,it,s easy to say but hard to do.