Lesson Learned..The hard way!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

motuna

Lesson Learned..The hard way!

Post by motuna »

After taking all of your advice and buying a Vixen, sighting it in, and here in Ala. I was just using the stock optic/peep sight that came with it. Well I had my first chance at a shot on Sat. and realized that you have to shoot with both eyes open! With the deer in the brush approaching my shooting lane, I couldn't see both pin and deer thru the sight. With both eyes open you can see both! Next time we know better.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I always shoot with both eyes open. Really helps to make sure there are no twigs or anything in the way. Also, it is easier to see how the deer reacts after the shot. This can tell you alot about how they are hit.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I was told anything you shoot you should shoot with both eyes open!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I usually close my other eye when shooting. Alot of target shooters will cover their non-shooting eye, less eye strain.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
brownie

Post by brownie »

Hey there. I just started shooting with both my eyes open, alittle tricky at first but once you get the hang of it its great.

The thing is not everyone can shoot with both eyes open, it depends on their dominate eye. Cheers!!!

brownie
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Whenever I shoot now its with both eyes open. Good habit. While hunting with scope or open sights it allows you to be able to follow your target better and see the sights at the same time. You always here of people not being able to find a moving animal in a scope, both eyes open will help elliminate this. I also use to do some airgun tournament shooting and we blocked one eyes view but I believe it was more for not being distracted by anything but the target.
Why ride when you can walk!
shawn_b

Post by shawn_b »

i have pep sight and shoot and kill my deer with one eye open it worked just fine for me
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've started target shooting with both eyes open using my varizone scope . . .however, when I killed my first two deer this past weekend . . .I'm not sure if my eyes were opened or closed! :lol:

I think it's easier to follow the bolt with both eyes open.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
A.W

Post by A.W »

I'm right handed but my left eye is strongest so I just switched to left hand shooting many years ago. Rifles, shotguns and crossbow left hand. Handgun right hand. I keep both eyes open.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am the same as you AW I am right handed and left eye dominate but I have shot everything right handed all my life and just close the left eye, been doing it that way too long now to change and I don't have any problems. M&M
exocet

Post by exocet »

I tried with a crossbow and a gun to shoot with both eyes open and I just can`t do it!! Jack.