Bolt length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new paradox

Bolt length

Post by new paradox »

What is the shortest bolt you can use in an Excalibur?Changing my ends to different wieghted brass inserts has shortened some of my bolts.Yes I know you can heat them and pull them out,but why not cut them off?
wabi

Post by wabi »

Which Excalibur?
I use 18" in my Phoenix.
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

wabi, i'm probaly going to be thought of as "nuts" but i'm going with 16" arrows and 2" bohning vanes. it's a pretty slick set up
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
navaman

Post by navaman »

oh, i forgot to mention. i'm using these with my vixen :oops:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
wabi

Post by wabi »

I figure if the Exomax has a power stroke of 16.5" and uses a 20" arrow the Vixen with a 13.5" power stroke should be fine with a 16" arrow.
That being said, there is some argument that a longer arrow has better flight characteristics, but I've seen no real difference between the groups I get with 20" & 18" arrows. I have used arrows salvaged after breaking right behind the point insert, which left me with about a 16.5" arrow. No problems as far as accuracy that I could see using field points.
wabi
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I've got a Paradox.I to have a couple bolts that broke off at the insert.
Iglooman

Question...

Post by Iglooman »

We shoot both a Exomag and Exocet currently with 20 inch bolts (2216), 5 inch vanes and 100g Wasp Brodheads - what will be the advantages with an 18 inch bolt (2216) with 4 inch vanes using the same broadhead?

I was told at a local shop that 5 inch vanes are a must on the Exomag since the bolt travels at a much higher rate of speed. If that's the case would I have to stick with 5 inch vanes on the Exomag and 4 inch on the Exocet?

I am looking to achieve the best accuracy possible with these crossbows - also what has been your experiences with Carbon Fiber arrows? I shot a couple with the Exomag last year and they snapped like twigs about 1/2 inch before the vanes therefore I went back to 2216's.

Thank's for your advice and opinions..

Iglooman
Exomag
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Dog gone it, you guys would have to throw this in the mix now, just as I'm trying to make up my mind of which Xbox to buy the boss for Christmas. The Vixen or the Phoenix. I was hoping that the the same shafts would be correct for the either of the two along with the Exomax. I hate the idea of having to keep a bunch of carbon shafts separated. I was figuring only on a dozen each for practice and a doz each for hunting, all the same except for color coding.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Big Al wrote:Dog gone it, you guys would have to throw this in the mix now, just as I'm trying to make up my mind of which Xbox to buy the boss for Christmas. The Vixen or the Phoenix. I was hoping that the the same shafts would be correct for the either of the two along with the Exomax. I hate the idea of having to keep a bunch of carbon shafts separated. I was figuring only on a dozen each for practice and a doz each for hunting, all the same except for color coding.
Just go for the 20" shaft for all your bows, they work as well at any length and are interchangable for the bows, then you just have to worry about who gets the shocking pink fletches for their xbow.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

Digger wrote:
Big Al wrote:Dog gone it, you guys would have to throw this in the mix now, just as I'm trying to make up my mind of which Xbox to buy the boss for Christmas. The Vixen or the Phoenix. I was hoping that the the same shafts would be correct for the either of the two along with the Exomax. I hate the idea of having to keep a bunch of carbon shafts separated. I was figuring only on a dozen each for practice and a doz each for hunting, all the same except for color coding.
Just go for the 20" shaft for all your bows, they work as well at any length and are interchangable for the bows, then you just have to worry about who gets the shocking pink fletches for their xbow.
How did you know I ordered hot pink for the boss?
wabi

Post by wabi »

20" work fine in all the Excals. I make my own arrows and cut them to 18" to take up less room when in the mounted quiver. Simply a personal preference.
wabi