??????Shotgun Hunters?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I have a Reminton 870 express with rifled choke tube, and scope mounted.
I use winchester Sabot slugs 2 3/4 inch grey box regular ones I get groupings the size of my fist at 100 yards. For the first time this year I was disapointed with knock down power, compared to my brother who is shooting the gold and platinum tip winchester supreme sabots. His two deer droped in ther tracks.
I shot a big 10 pointer at 100 yards dounle lung shot high, and he ran 250 + yards along the farmers fence wide open, and when he realized he was dying he forgot to signal left turn and hit the farmers fence knocking down 3 fence posts and a 1 inch diameter tree. I recovered the deer, but noticed no blood in the field and entrance and exit holes same size between ribs. I think I will swith to platinum or gold tip next year, simply because they somewhat expand going through.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Huntman ...

I understand your question.

I think it prudent to sight in from a weighted rest when zeroing heavy-recoil weapons, because it enables fine sighting and load testing without human error spoiling the results, and protects the shooter from the tendency to develop a flinch in anticipation of recoil.

Of course, this process is seperate from establishing length-of-pull, eye-relief and other critical adjustments, and from practicing field shooting positions. Using a machine or a weighted recoil-control rest is restricted to sighting in and shooting groups in usefulness for hunters.

I recommend practicing field shooting with low-recoiling firearms, and use a .22 myself to hone shooting abilities in the offhand, kneeling, sitting, prone and rested positions. The advantage of this is being able to shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds with absolutely no adverse effect from recoil and muzzle blast. All other variables remain exactly the same as they would be with a heavier recoiling firearm:

Mount / cheek weld
Target accquisition
Sight picture
Trigger Squeeze
Follow-through

I personally do not practice a great deal with heavy-recoiling arms, because I don't enjoy it, it's expensive, noisy, painful when done in excess, more dangerous and there's just no need.

If you are proficient at shooting tiny targets with a .22 or even an air rifle in various field positions, and employ those same techniques when hunting with a properly sighted in arm, and keep that TRIGGER BREAK A SURPRISE, you're going to get your game, and you'll hardly notice the recoil.

Conversely, if you try to develop shooting skills with a heavy-recoiling arm, you have every chance of developing an accuracy-robbing flinch, and not getting your game.

Don't get me wrong; it's cool to practice with your big arms, and can be lots of fun ... but it's best to make it a gradual process and let time teach you to handle the punch and blast.

Grizz
Wiz Kid

Remington Sabots

Post by Wiz Kid »

Hi All

I spent last week in WMU 80 with my 870 cantilevered super slugger with a 3-9 Bushnell 3200 with rain guard. I harvested three, (thank God For Party Hunting) one doe troting at 120 yards split the heart in half, one small buck split the spine at 90 Yards and a buck with my Savage black powder at about 90yards again a Spinal Tap. Our Group uses Remington 2 3/4" Solid Copper Sabots and a couple of the boys have the new ones this year if you can find them, that when sigted in at 150 Yards drop 6" at 200yards and are only 3 inches high at 100' they shoot very flat. We never got to try them at range but next year maybe. You should consider these shells they don't have the Punch of 3" or 3 1/2" and they perform very well. Next stop Black Powder Season and my Exocet keeps me out of the malls and off the streets

I our group a day without death is a day without sunshine..............