Ground Blinds On Public Ground

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I hunt a lot of public ground so leaving a ground blind up is out of the question with all the thieves out there. My question is can I set up a ground blind on the morning of the hunt and expect the deer to act in their normal manner or does it take a few days for them to calm down. Most of the hunting is in a deep hardwoods setting. I like hunting from a tree stand but some days it would be nice to just kick back and hunt from the ground. Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

Tom all deer act differently all the time. I have used my popup in one time setups alot and here is what I have found. If the deer are edgy or tense, anything different will catch their eye and make them very nervous. They would probually avoid it. Now if the deer are at ease, they will still probually notice it and keep an eye on it, but that is about all. They will continue to go about their normal daily business.

I have had deer walk within 5 yards until scent got me busted. But mostly they will walk about normally but keeping a watchfull eye on the different shape. For a test, once when wearing Orange inside the blind, I moved back and forth, slowly & quickly to see if it would spook the deer (it was when moose hunting), the deer never spooked but was looking at the blind the whole time.

One thing you could do to help is in your setup. Use surounding brush to breakup the outline of the blind, even if you have to cut and place branches around.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Thanks for the advice. I've built quick natural blinds and have had the same results. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Guess i'll save my money.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hunt a lot of public ground so leaving a ground blind up is out of the question with all the thieves out there
What a shame to have to make that statement
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
exocet

Post by exocet »

I agree, don`t do that here on public land in PA either, it will be stolen within a week :( Alot of theives out there unfortunately :x Jack.
Tom

Post by Tom »

tkstae wrote:Thanks for the advice. I've built quick natural blinds and have had the same results. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Guess i'll save my money.
One major advantage is in bad weather. A blind will make it easier for you to stay comfortable. In the extreem cold, a little heater will again make you more comfortable. Also when your comfortable, your less likely to be fidigity or moving in your seat. The less you move, the less sound as well, the better chance you have to see a deer.

I use natural blinds, pop up blinds, treestands and even low level blinds for open fields (in alf alfa fields) and all work at different times and have their place. I would recomend a popup (there is limitations with your vission being hindered somewhat as well as shooting lanes) but I feel that they will have their place in your hunting equipment. Just not to be used in all situations. Because of this, I would not advise the expensive units for mainly public lands (can't utilize the ability of conditioning the deer to it).

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Well during last weeks shotgun hunt here in Ontario I put my Doghouse blind up around 5:30am and around 3:30pm I had 2 does standing about 10 yards from my blind :wink: so in my opinion they are not bothered by blinds.....had mine partially concealled in a tree line between 2 corn fields and no I did not shot them...I felt they were a little too small so I let them walk till next year! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
A.W

Post by A.W »

You could incorporate some burlap which is relavantly inexpensive and leave it in the field. Just take it down and put it somewhere near your stand.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I bought a 4 foot wide piece of perforated camo material,approx 12 feet long and use 4 lengths of bamboo as corner posts,with 4 velcro strips to hold it up,and take along a tripod seat,and can set up just about anywhere in less than five minutes.
I just position the posts as a small box,and push them in the ground for support.
Sets you up at shooting height while sitting,and with a camo hood,gives me excellent cover.
I usually spray the material with that scent dissipating spray the day before.
I spooked one,but that was before I started using the spray.
Bob Vandrish.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

I bought a package of 4x12 camo a few yrs. back and forgot about it. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I've been using a Doghouse blind for several years. I never leave it in the field. I set it up and take it down each time I hunt. I have never had a problem with deer being spooked by the blind. I do brush mine in with tree branches, grass etc. It is real nice to be inside the blind when it's raining, and when it gets cold I take a heater along.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I agree with huntin'1. I've seen less deer in the doghouse when it was in place for 3 or 4 days than when I just go out, set it up, get in and hunt, and take it down when I leave.
I think if you use if for several days in one place your scent must start building up. Definitely nice if it's cold or rainy but how much stuff can you carry into the woods without breaking a sweat? That's my biggest objection to them. My Ameristep Outhouse is lighter, but too cramped for the crossbow.

Doghouse = 14lbs.
Outhouse = 7.3 lbs
Lil' Buddy heater = 5 lbs.
Fold up chair = 8 lbs.

I guess if you're used to carrying a climbing stand way back into the woods, carrying a pop-up and gear would be of similar weight.
Furor

Post by Furor »

I have had more luck sitting on the ground, leaning against a tree, than in a ground blind and its a heck of a lot easier to set up. The pop up style blind would be nicer in bad weather tho.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

When the weather turns nasty and I want a heater in my blind I use one of these:

Mini Otter sled, got it at Home of Economy for about $30. I can get all my gear in it, and if you remember a few tarp straps you can throw your deer in it and strap the blind down on top.
I only use it when it is too cold to sit without the heater. It pulls OK on grass but really works best on snow.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

what kind of heater do you use? Esp if you are Bow hunting. Seems to me they could smell it. Hawk