Oh Boy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shawn_b

Oh Boy

Post by shawn_b »

went out this morning trying to fill my doe tag I tryed draging doe in heat out hope that a nosey doe might come my way.Then all at once this big 10 pointer walk out about 15 yards in front of me.Now for the bad part of this tale is that in ohio u can only get 1 buck a year.soooooooooo.... i just sat there he can around the back of me about 3 min. later he blew 2 times and ran off.oh well it not like i could do any thing i should have waited to fill my buck tag but who knew this would happen. :oops: :lol:
axis

Bummer:

Post by axis »

That's a BUMMER..................... :(

Axis
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Thats too bad. It is a tricky and hard choice for sure. Do you set yourself up for a possible chance of a lifetime by saving that tag and maybe never filling it, or do you just fill it and forget about bucks for the rest of the season?

I am one of those who would save the tag, which means I will more times than not, eat that tag at the end of the year. No pain no gain right? It's not too bad though if you have some good doe meat to go with it. Plus being able to spend the whole season from start to finish in the woods is worth as much to me as a big buck down.

I hope your buck will survive the season and present you with another chance next year as a big twelve pointer, before you have filled your tag.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Tom

Post by Tom »

ShawnB I know the feeling of having a great animal in front of you in perfect shooting but not able to take advantage of the situation. Deer in turkey or moose season, turkeys in deer season ect. What I did to help was started to carry a good quality camera, either digital or 35mm and harvested them that way. Just look at what RJ has got with his camera. Not only will you have it as a memory, but you will have it on print as well.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Tom wrote: What I did to help was started to carry a good quality camera, either digital or 35mm and harvested them that way. Just look at what RJ has got with his camera. Not only will you have it as a memory, but you will have it on print as well.

Good luck.
A picture is just as much a trophy as a set of antlers on the wall. Sometimes even more appealing. I've got a series of pics of a beauty 10pt and a small 8 that came in to some rattling. It was in a place where hunting was not allowed. But the time of year was Jan 1st. I had the 10pt within seven yards while I was on the ground.

You also have something to look forawrd to for next year.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
frisky

Post by frisky »

Wisconsin (my area) has a EAB ( shoot a doe and earn a buck). I havent got that yet (2missed) so sunday nite a buck comes by. All I can do is look, oh yes the camera batterys were dead so no pictures...........
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey Shawn ifn you want to get a doe..I wouldnt use doe in heat it really irritates the doe alot..they will flee if they smell it down wind and blow and go..try rattlin small antlers together or just a buck grunt..they are social animals and want to be together..they will come to what they think is other deer in the area..just My Humble opinion.......

Hoss
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Yep, I've filled two tags with does and have one tag left (buck or doe). Now I have to decide how selective to be. :lol: :lol:
wabi