moon nocks verses flat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flbuckmaster

moon nocks verses flat

Post by flbuckmaster »

I'm a virgin here in the forum and I have a question. I bought some carbon bolts with moon nocks for my maxpoint and didnt realize until I read in the website that I was supposed to use flat nocks only for Excalibur bows.I couldnt take them back (it was a closeout) so I had a brain fart to file the curves out of the nocks to make them flat like a flat cap. Have I really screwed up or will these bolts be ok to shoot and hunt with? I have a hunt coming up in December and need to know If I need to start over again with new bolts. Jay :oops:
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Tom

Post by Tom »

First things first. Welcome to the site.

Many have filed down the moon nocks until smooth to be used with the excalibur bows. Just remember to smooth the outside edges of the nock. You want to make sure that the edges does not have any sharp edges which would cut the serving on your string.

Good luck and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Xman

moon nocks

Post by Xman »

I shoot a Maxpoint, I can't really tell the difference that muchm my bow is a tad bit more accurate with the flat nock 5" fletching. I have been shooting them with no problem, hope this helps
Xman
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

When I started useing Bemans they had the half moon nocks so I had the guy at the shop cut them down with his arrow saw so that they were flat,that was good I had to just file off the piece/bump in the middle.The second set I thought I would just cut them off with my dremil.They did not fly so good the first few shots,they were slightly rounded out and would not group.I filed the end alittle concave then they were fine.To make a long story short,if they are not cut flat they do not fly striaght.
wabi

Post by wabi »

The important thing is to get the end perfectly square (90º to the shaft). Not so easy with a file and just eyeballing it. If they are not square accuracy will suffer.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome my Florida brother!!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Next set ya get make sure of course they are flat, however with that being stated the moon nocks will shoot just fine if you have not cut them as yet!! JUST MAKE SURE you have the COCK-ER FEATHER DOWN. HH
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS! I HAVE CUT THEM ALREADY AND MADE SURE THEY ARE SQUARE. I HAVENT SHOT THEM AS YET CAUSE I WASNT SURE IT WOULD WORK. NEXT TIME I HAVE A PROBLEM I WILL BE SURE TO ASK FIRST..THANKS GUYS JAY :D
A.W

Post by A.W »

Welcome!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Here is my experience with this. I had an extra bolt from a barnett I use to use with my other bolts for target practice, it of course had a half moon. It shot pretty darn good. Then one day out of the blue that thing took off, shot way high, over the target down into a field never to be seen again.

This was out of my exomag.