Heaters In A Ground Blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Heaters In A Ground Blind

Post by Sliver »

What type of heater are folks using in their ground blinds during the cold weather? I am wondering about scent and sound from portable heaters ..

Thanks in advance for any information

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I have used a coleman catalytic type last Dec. and had 3 does come within 10 yards of my blind, of course it was buck only. There is a slight hiss but it did not scare the deer off. My feet were toasty warm out of my boots. I will do it again.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

My well to do friends use the propane bottle adapter and a 20 pound bottle of fuel. I will just take a coffee can filled with charcoal for the first day to keep their hands warm.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a small Coleman "SportCat" catylitic heater that is quiet and doesn't seem to put off odors that scare deer. Doesn't put out a lot of heat, but it helps. I've had deer come right past the blind and it didn't seem to scare them in any way. I've been thinking of putting a small stainless steel cup on it and simmering doe pee to see if it would work to attract deer. If not, I'm sure the perfume would make the blind smell unusual to say the least. :lol:
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Wabi,

I imagine you would be hunting alone on those days?!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Heater in a blind sounds like heaven!

When the temps dive I stick those little heater packs in my boots and mitts and one nice big 12 hr stick-on one in the small of my back. Mmmm! Makes for less figetting to keep warm and I can stay out longer. I keep a couple of spares in my pack just in case I get stuck in the woods overnight for some unfortunate reason. (I also keep a light stick in my pack - great to mark a downed deer in the dark or to signal for help if needed.)

Jodi
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have used the SportCat by Coleman in the past. It will not put forth alot of heat, but it will help break the snapping cold. It will also boil water or toast a sandwich.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... d=5031-750

I would place mine under my chair, and if it was extreemly cold, I would also place something across my lap to act like a blanket to help retain the heat.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

VixChix wrote:Heater in a blind sounds like heaven!

When the temps dive I stick those little heater packs in my boots and mitts and one nice big 12 hr stick-on one in the small of my back. Mmmm! Makes for less figetting to keep warm and I can stay out longer. I keep a couple of spares in my pack just in case I get stuck in the woods overnight for some unfortunate reason. (I also keep a light stick in my pack - great to mark a downed deer in the dark or to signal for help if needed.)

Jodi
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the heater packs strapped on. :lol:
I recently had a few days of severe back pain (the discs sometimes move around if I'm not very careful) and picked up an "Icy Hot Pro Therapy" belt that holds two long lasting heat packs. The old "light bulb" in my brain flickered on, and I thought how great this would be for hunting in cold weather. I was getting ready to head out a couple of weeks ago on a morning with well below freezing temperatures and decided to try the belt over my kidneys to see how it would work. With the belt under my polar fleece underwear, and a heavy fleece shirt over that I was actually sweating! I think next trip I'll try one heat pack in the belt :lol:
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Those stick-on heaters are the BEST! I wished they'd been around back in my ice fishing days out west.

This tread has me thinking about a heater though... boiling water? toasted sandwich? My blind is going to feel like the Hilton! LOL

Hoping I tag soon before I go through too many heat packs! :lol:

Jo
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

This is the one I use:

Can't cook on it, but it is adjustable from 4000 to 9000 BTU's. Keeps the Doghouse nice and warm. Also use it in my 5'x6' portable ice fishing shelter.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
dsr

Post by dsr »

I've never tried this in a hunting blind but have used it in ice fishing shack.
Put a roll of toilet paper in a tobacco tin.Soak the tp with methyl alcohol.Put the lid on the can.When you want heat open the can and touch a match to the tp.The methyl burns off with a very warm,blue flame.With a little experimenting you could heat coffee or toast sandwiches.BESURE THAT THERE IS AN OPEN WINDOW TO REPLENISH THE AIR BEING BURNED!! When you get too warm and want to shut your heater down just put the lid back onto the can.Simple--Cheap--Warm.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The Tp in the tobacco can does work well, have used it ice fishing. :D :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I might add that I do have a catylitic heater with more BTU output, but anything larger than the SportCat makes a definate hisssssss.... when burning. The SportCat's output is so low that you can't really hear it. I have tried listening without it being lit, and you have to put your ear right against the safety screen over the burner to even detect sound. From even a few feet away I'm sure the deer would never hear it on a normal day in the woods. I use the next model up in output when gun hunting sometimes, but you can hear it hissssssss.... inside the blind when on maximum output. Deer 20 yards away pay it no attention, but for bowhunting I want the quiet model even if it doesn't put off as much heat. The SportCat puts off enough heat to make a dandy hand warmer, and it does break the chill in the blind enough to make it bearable in near freezing temps. If I really get chilled I can close a few of the shooting ports and raise the temp inside the blind until I recover.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

huntin1 wrote:This is the one I use:

Can't cook on it, but it is adjustable from 4000 to 9000 BTU's. Keeps the Doghouse nice and warm. Also use it in my 5'x6' portable ice fishing shelter.

huntin1
Thats the safe one and they make another model with doubble heaters, both have Carbon Monoxide detectors and are quite. The larger one has a fan and makes it nice. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I didn't state it, but I always keep a couple ports open for a little cross-ventilation. Heaters in a confined space can be deadly!
And yes Bob, they do make battery operated detectors. I put one in my mother's bedroom a few years ago. She heats/cooks with natural gas and it takes away one more thing to worry about.
wabi