MECHANICAL VERSUS FIXED BROADHEADS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Would anyone care to comment on the difference in impact sound when comparing a mechanical versus a fixed blade broadhead?
I have always used a fixed blade Innerloc broadhead,and recently switched to a NAP Shockwave mechanical,and have had a couple of strange actions/reactions to shots with these different blades,when it comes to shots at deer.
In the first case,I heard the impact sound similar to a fixed blade,and saw the deer shudder,and then take off,and I was not able to find any hair or blood,so after tracking for an extended period,concluded that I had missed.
In the second case,I did not hear any impact sound at all,and the deer moved a few yards,and then loped off into the woods.
I am not a lousy shot,as I can group most practice rounds into a 4" group at 45 yards,repeatedly.(this is free hand shooting)
I know in both cases that I may have misjudged the distance due to failing conditions.
I am trying to reconcile what really happened,as I should have had BOTH deer.
I did see in one case that there where "whips" that I could not see in the scope that could have affected the flight,but this has been a mystery to me.
Comments are invited.
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
Normous

Post by Normous »

In the past I have taken 7-8 deer with "Rocket Mechanicals". The best way I can describe the impact sound is a loud *WHACK*, like something got hit with a bat.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

LOT OF VARIABLES HERE, i use shockwave 100 gr and 2216 alum. when i first started i noticed wabble a little until I changd my foc. They hit with a dull thud and do the job. If your bolts are wobbly maybe when they hit the deer they turn sideways and you get the whack sound. Hawk
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Leonard,that is the exact combination I was using,and I have test fired them into a block target,to make sure of the accuracy compared to a target head.
I tied the expanding blades shut with a small wire to prevent expansion into the target.
What FOC are you using?
I have a concern about any expandible head catching on the slightest thing,even a blade of grass,or the smallest twig and deflecting.
In the case I was referring to,I did not hear ANY sound of impact at all,and the buck was standing in front of a grassy knoll that would have acted as a backstop for any bolt that missed.
I could not find it either,and will be going back tomorrow to do a more thorough search ,and try to reconstruct what happened.
Bob Vandrish.
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I use Grim Reapers,mechanicals.One hit some branches and then struck a tree 50 yards away.I could hear every time it hit something,then the deer ran off.It sounded like a knock on wood.The second was at 20 yards,same knock,deer fell over.Didn't hit much bone but still sounded like a knock on wood.The third was at 70 yards,herd the knock,found the arrow,had to track the deer.It went in the front and came out the belly.All made the same sound.
kev

Post by kev »

Last year I used Shockwaves and fixed blade Boss's to take Deer. I here a louder wack with the Shockwaves than with fixed. Seems my bows will place 100 gr.Wasp Boss and Shockwaves within 1-2 inches of each other at 20 yds.

I'll have 2 fixed and 1 Mechanical, 1 blunt in a 4 arrow quiver to hunt. Depends on what stand or blind I hunt wich type of head I'll use. Usually on ground blinds where there my be light thistle/grass weed it'll be fixed. I've always been scared of a mechanical opening when hitting this stuff.

Last year I'd shot a Doe from the ground around an apple tree blind and shot a fixed blade Boss right through the thin stuff from around 12-14 yds. Perfect hit and no deflection, you could see where the Boss head trimmed the light stuff going through before passing through her.

This year I've used some very heavy 3 blade Magnus Snuffers on 2 deer with very good results, these were very close shots with an older mag tip Vixen and 175 Exocet. Also another with the same Vixen and a Boss head on a LazerII. I'll finish this year with a new Vixen from bj. shooting 16.5 Carbon bolts and 125 slick trick's. 321 - 323 gr. total wt. Very good groups with 125 gr. blunts at 20 yds. with this set up, so I expect about the same with the Slick Trick's. This set up will be good for out to 20 yds. I figure.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Regardless of what tip or shaft combo, any deer outside the moral zone of 35 yards should not have anything short of the sound of you leaving to react to. An alert deer will bounce its briscuit off the ground at 40 with a slower bow and may be spined or wounded with the best bow of the day. Your perog, but shorter ranges lay em down and you will hear the hit and it sounds like WHAAAK!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!