Crossbow hunter killed by his own crossbow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Crossbow hunter killed by his own crossbow.

Post by Woody Williams »

SAD.....

A Middleburg Heights (Ohio) man apparently was killed by his own crossbow as he was hunting in a woods in northern Ashland County.

The body of Michael Yankovitz, 31, was discovered by another hunter Sunday afternoon in a woods on Ruggles Township Road 1461. Yankovitz died from an arrow accidentally discharging from a crossbow he was carrying, piercing his back and neck. Investigating the death were the Ashland County Coroner's and Sheriff's offices, Ohio Division of Wildlife officials and officers with the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Country

Post by Country »

I can see how that could happen. Postings like this and the things said in the stupid posting are a good heads up as to what could go wrong. I hope these sad examples can make us all a little more aware of the danger and thus a little safer. From now on I'm pulling the arrow before I sling my crossbow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've posted it before, but it wouldn't hurt to repeat it.........
Several years ago I was hunting with my Vixen and had it cocked & loaded. It was/is an automatic motion to flip the safety on when I cock it, so I'm sure the safety was on. I slung it over my shoulder and went through some thick brush. Later when I was getting ready to shoot I put the Vixen to my shoulder and reached with my thumb to flip the safety off. IT WAS ALREADY OFF!!!!! My best guess is that in going through the brush a twig had bumped it and moved it to the OFF position.
I now carry the crossbow slung over my shoulder only in the uncocked mode! I keep the rope aid on the string in case I want to cock it, but it is NEVER carried cocked with the shoulder sling. If I want to move with it cocked and/or loaded it as carried in front of me in a "port arms" carry.
And if I go through thick stuff I find myself checking the safety frequently.
wabi
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

It might be a good idea to place a strong wide rubber band over the safety, especially when pulling it up into a treestand also, we don't want NO dry fires.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

I saw my best friend carry his bow cocked and loaded over his shoulder a few weeks ago. I did not say anything to him at the time, but I will ASAP
Riggs
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I feel for his family, what I do not understand in this however is how anyone can state as yet that he was carrying his crossbow over his back :?:

First of all it sure would have had to be swing mighty low to go through the back and out the neck :? something is very wrong here :!:

Reads like he was shot to me .... :?: by some one else maybe.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

GaryL wrote:I feel for his family, what I do not understand in this however is how anyone can state as yet that he was carrying his crossbow over his back :?:

First of all it sure would have had to be swing mighty low to go through the back and out the neck :? something is very wrong here :!:

Reads like he was shot to me .... :?: by some one else maybe.
Gary when I read the notice, I thought there was something wrong too. I can not see how an arrow can pierce his back and neck when being carried. Only way I can think of is if it was on the sling on the back, and a branch or something caught ahold of the bow and pulled it to point it at the hunter before being accidently triggered. Sorry I still can't see that happening, any hunter will or should retreat when or if their weapon gets caught in the brush.

I think we need more info on this before we can make a good judgement on what happened.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

A yep TOM to me that is a all-most impossible feat to do. Must be a case of not all the information is out on how this could have happened. Now on the other hand if he was in a tree stand and was being handed his xbow with a bolt in it :shock: I can see going through the neck and out the back.

Either case I sure feel for his family and it is a HEADS UP for all to be dang careful :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
speedball

Post by speedball »

my heart felt prayers for his family, sadly accidents happen but this doesnt make it any easier, let this be an example for all of us take your time and think about every move, we do something that is dangerous and could be fatal....
gone huntin never to return................
exocet

Post by exocet »

bstout wrote:The possibilities are endless!

Maybe he was using a sling and one of the ends came loose or off as he slung it over his shoulder. Maybe it was leaning up against the tree and he bumped it as he was getting undressed to walk back to his vehicle.

Who knows?

Crossbow archers must be more alert than vert bow hunters. In my opinion this fact alone scares the heck out of vert bow hunters. They don't want to be in the same woods as someone toting a crossbow much less tote one themselves.
I totally agree, especially with your last sentance. Here in PA there is a lot of opposition to Crossbows in archery season and there is alot of dislike and hatred against them and people who wish to use them. Very sad all the way around. I know myself, I will be much more attentive to my crossbow and safety now. Jack.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

What a sad incident. After reading this thread my husband and I took the advice of someone else on this board (THANK YOU!) and added rubberbands to our bow stocks to secure the safety. I don't load my bow unless I'm actually hunting, but I do cock it when I head out and it stays cocked until I'm back. I have to say it was extra peace of mind tonight to have that rubberband on the safety - would hate to have a dry fire!