peeps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

peeps

Post by navaman »

well, i've given this scope thing a lot of consideration and i think i'm going to keep my peeps. if i put anything on my vixen it will my aimpoint red dot. one of the reasons i've made this decision is because the crossbow is an ancient weapon and i think it looks a lot better without it. i know all the arguments for scoping tne crossbow and i respect every one of them. i'm all for stacking the odds in your favor when hunting but i'm not going to do it for the same reason i won't scope my sidelock black powder TC white mountain carbine. the challenge of doing it the way our hunting forefathers did it. i do want to thank everybody for thier opinions, tips, and advice. i've recieved so much help from all you guys i could never say "thanks" enough. i'm grateful for friends like you all. :) i'll be leaving for wisconsin sometime after thanksgiving for a hunt with the ACF so i'll be sure to let everybody know how that works out. i'm praying to bring home a lot of meat to mama. :lol:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I can respect that. Best of luck.

Hey, where did the saying come from? Be strong, etc....
exocet

Post by exocet »

I feel the same way, I love my peep and pin on my Exocet :D I also have many muzzleloaders and I only use the open sights as well, it just feels right. The only thing I have a scope on now in my .22 Marlin for Squirrels and that is only one gun in many that I own. Jack.
navaman

Post by navaman »

thanks for the "good luck" on my upcoming hunt. my signature is from 1 Corinthians 16:13
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Thanks Nava....it's good to be educated...
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm torn between keeping things simple (and primative) and giving the game I hunt the respect of the quickest - cleanest kill I can provide. I was using a peep sight on my crossbow and my muzzleloader a couple years ago. My aging eyes have created all sorts of problems, though. With bifocal glasses I could shoot fairly well, but I couldn't see to blood trail a deer. I went back to contact lenses for distance correction (use reading glasses for close work) and find that the scope works best for hitting what I'm shooting at. I took my T/C NewEnglander .50 out a couple weeks ago, and was doing good to keep all the shots in an 8" group at 100 yards. I know the rifle is more accurate than that, so I came home and dug a scope mount base out of my parts box. I mounted a Leupold 2-7X scope and went back to the shooting range the next day. 3" 100 yard group. :oops:
Now with a scope I can hit the deer, and with the contacts I can trail if necessary. :shock:
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

i know exzactly how you feel wabi. my eyes are getting worse with the passing of time and it bothers me for two reasons. first, having to admit i just don't have the physical abilities i had as a young man, (and dealing with the daily aches and pains :oops: ). second, having to put a modern piece of equipment on a primitive weapon :( . but that's just life and aging, i guess. at least for the most part we do get better on most things as we grow older. i would never go back to be being a confused young man with those misconceptions of manhood, love, and life.