O/T Digital camera

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Quickshot

O/T Digital camera

Post by Quickshot »

Hi All, I need some opinions,

I am thinking of a new digital camera, I have a small point and shoot for hunting but I would like something a little better, I was looking at the new Canon Rebel, but I am really not sure :? . I am really curious as to what some of you may use for a higher end camera.

Thanks for the opinions.

Links to the two I am looking at.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=11154

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=14256
enjoy the woods
Doug
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Steve's Digicam web site has alot of information for camera buyers.
Riggs

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I use the 40 dollar stealth cam and i wont change it works perfect and takes awsome pics i just got to take them in to get them developed which dont bother me none. I have 2 of them!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Hey Doug. I just recently got the new Sony Alpha 100. It's 10.2 mega pixel very nice camera. The reason I went with the Sony is they bought out Minolta and all my old lenses and accesories will work on it. Can't get over the picture quality. But if I was you and you have no ententions of getting a lot of 11x16 prints the 8 mega would be great. You should look into the Pentax line as well. I thought you told me you have a Pentax slr. If anything like mine your other lenses would work.
Still you can never go wrong with Cannon Dad has one from the early 70's that still takes great pictures. What ever you get you'll love digital Slr. If you want I'll bring mine in for you to check out.
I still take the point and shoot for hunting. Took the new one when Dad got his deer and was almost afraid of using it.
Last edited by BigUgly on Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

You might want to have a look at the OLYMPUS STYLUS 720SW This camera was chosen because it's water proof and 8 megapixel. It has great reviews on C-NET. I fly fish and wanted a camera I could hold underwater and take a picture of a fish before a release. And yes it does rain here in Alaska a little bit also. The downside is they don't come cheap. I got it at BEST BUY. because of the extended warranty. in a couple of years you take it back for the up grade and they give you equal value for the purchase price. As fast as this technology is changing, I thought that was a sure bet. The other thing to think about it's nice to be able to go back where you bought it at for troubles. Now I'm not that way with everything except electronic gear, live and learn.
Curdog

Post by Curdog »

Hey Quickshot, I have a Nikon point and shoot, that I use for my hunting and such, fits right in my pocket. But my wife and I also have a Canon 20D, great slr. I also have a friend that has one of the new Rebel XTI'S, its 10 MP if I remember right, she loves it. Good thing is you can use all your Canon lens on them. Just my two cents. Curdog
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I purchased the Canon S3 IS. I pretty decent camera with alot of good functionality and personal control. It's 6 megapixal with 12x optical zoom, macro, and super macro function. Video. Colour swapping. Picture stitching. Image stabilization. Super quiet zoom mode. Plus a host of other features. Quick start up, fast recovery time. As far as point and shoot go for under $500 I doubt you could do better.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Don

Post by Don »

Quickshot,

Many companies have great digital cameras out there.
The main thing you want to be sure to get is one with image stabilization it makes a huge huge difference in the picture quality, as without it if you done stand perfectly still you picture will be fuzzy and how well do you think you can stand still with a bick buck across the field.
Get one with a good optical zoom on it 8 times or more is best, don't let the salesman fool you by telling you the camera has 30 times zoom, etc as this would be a combination of optical and digital zoom. A lot of cameras have low optical zoom and high digital zoom. High digital zoom will make enlargments lood more grainy or fuzzy.
Also the high megapixel rates are better as well if you plan to make very larger enlargments but if you are not going to be making say poster sided enlargments this will not be as big a deal.
A camera with a little less megapixel size but a bigger optical zoom is better than a high megapixel rate camera and a lower optical zoom.

Hope this helps,
Don :lol:
leonk

Post by leonk »

Quickshot,

I have Rebel and SD550. I am a Canon user, I like both of these.
Little SD is fantastic. it has its limitations of course.
What are you going to use it for? There are few good review sites.
the decision for me is cost/quality/functionality.
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Thanks for all the help, I am going to look around a little more before making my descision. I am still leaning with the canon but will check out some others again. :D
enjoy the woods
Doug
saxman

Post by saxman »

I dont know what kind of camera R.J. has but his pictures are always outstanding.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011