Calls to Use While Bowhunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

youngbuck_23

Calls to Use While Bowhunting?

Post by youngbuck_23 »

hey guys im new hear to this great experience of bowhunting and would like to know what calls to use while bowhunting up here in northern ontario to get mr. big in my exo-mag's crosshairs. any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks....
kids who hunt, trap and fish dont mug little old ladies.......
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Welcome to the forum, for me I use a doe bleat can, I find it to work the best and I use a light grunt, nothing to deep or loud. I use my calls very sparingly as I would rather call to little then to often. Good luck
enjoy the woods
Doug
cubb

Post by cubb »

I've also used the doe bleat can, this is also my first year hunting with my crossbow, and i used the can to call in a 1-2 year old spike, not the bigest deer but it still worked.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I use 3 calls sparingly: The doe bleat can, the grunt and rattling antlers.
Doesn't work every time but it does bring em in sometimes.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I use the can also, but find they only last about a year before sound fades and you need a new one. Fawn bleat works early season for does. Doe bleat can work about any time. Buck grunt can also work anytime depending on how you use it. I also try rattling antlers a few times every year and for the first time last week had two does come running into the calling, only to hang up about forty yards out in some thick not presenting a shot. I have to believe the rattling will call in the big boy one day, just hasn't happened for me yet.
Why ride when you can walk!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I am new to deer hunting and I have tried the bleat can but so far no takers. Although one time a young buck sort of jogged by under me about twenty minutes after I did 5 bleats. But this buck sort of hangs out at this corner anyway, so I am not sure he was coming because of the bleat.

I lost my darn grunt tube in the woods the other day. To me it did not sound much like a deer grunt. I tried different settings but I sound more like a goose than a deer. The type I had was a little wooden tube you sucked in to make the noise.

You guys with experience, how do you use the bleat can. In that I mean do you do it three times and quit? Is there any certain rhythm you use?
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

use the bleat about once evrey 15 minutes..deer dont do it to much..they can pinpoint the source of the call very well and you dont want to do it to much. they dont volcalize 3-4 times in row..everytime ive heard them it was once and thats it.....in this case more than once is to much...Ive heard bucks grunt also and its usely once and thats it....rattle or lets say just ticklin the tines together is deadly... when i dont have confidence in anything thats what i go back to..deer are social creatures and they want to be together at times ( except during the rut the bucks get to be alone) during the rut and around the rut doe bleat is best...or hot doe..and again 1 time dont wear it out..if they are within a ear shot they will hear it..if not do it again in 15 min and mabey one is now near by enough to hear you..good luck
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Confession time. :roll: :lol: :lol:
I've made a lot of deer calls and sold several to forum members in the past, but 95% of my calling is the bleat. The grunt works at the right time & place, but that time is short. The bleat works about any time, and it's hard to get wrong. As Hoss said, not too much calling! The exception to that is if I have a deer I can see leaving but the call has it's curiousity working in my favor. I have called them very close (does) by bleating every time they started to leave.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I love my HS TrueTalker! It does it all.

Usually I use it gently and sparingly, but I had an experience last year in late Nov. where I had a soft "conversation" with a few deer that were holed up in some cedars about 80 yds away - it went on for about an hour. A farmer was taking in a cornfield nearby and there weren't coming out for love or money, but they sure were chatty! I've never experienced anything like that before or since. In most of my experience deer give a single grunt in response to a bleat call (or they just show up and stare in my direction with no advance notice). I use the the grunt call to stop a deer that is wandering off - even if they're flagging in a big hurry to leave I've had them stop broadside and look at me after a grunt.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Hoss wrote:use the bleat about once evrey 15 minutes..deer dont do it to much..they can pinpoint the source of the call very well and you dont want to do it to much. they dont volcalize 3-4 times in row..everytime ive heard them it was once and thats it.....in this case more than once is to much...Ive heard bucks grunt also and its usely once and thats it....rattle or lets say just ticklin the tines together is deadly... when i dont have confidence in anything thats what i go back to..deer are social creatures and they want to be together at times ( except during the rut the bucks get to be alone) during the rut and around the rut doe bleat is best...or hot doe..and again 1 time dont wear it out..if they are within a ear shot they will hear it..if not do it again in 15 min and mabey one is now near by enough to hear you..good luck
Now there is a bunch of bad advice!! Yes if the deer is close stop all calling and plaster yourself against a tree but to say call only once at a time is absurd :roll: The buck I called in this year came in to a series of 10-12 grunts with estrus can bleats every 3-4 grunts. That is the joy of hunting!! There is no set way that will work every time. Go out and give it your best try every year you will learn something new.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Fawn-in-distress calls can work wonders in pulling does right to you. :twisted: Quite an experience, because they're hunting you!
Grizz
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Thanks for the advice. I always wondered if I called to frequently (repetive bleat or grunts) and you guys confirmed it. From now on it's control for me, enough of playing to much with the toys.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've had calling work for and against me.

The buck that I got last year was 100% as a result of grunting. I saw him, grunted. He didn't respond. I gave a couple more quick grunts, he stopped. I gave another 2-3 grunts and he came right to me.

This year I saw a deer and tried to get it's attention by grunting. I grunted several times. Unfortunately for me there were four deer behind me that I was unaware of that had me pegged in my tree.

I've tried rattling many times, and most times I would say I was unsuccessful. But how does one really know? Many times a deer can sneak in quietly, without the hunter ever knowing, and disappear just the same. I have had a few occasions where the deer did respond positively to my rattling.

I have heard bucks grunt alot while chasing does.

So how much to call? Most times I would think less is more.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
youngbuck_23

Post by youngbuck_23 »

thanks for all the advise i got a can call and it is almost fool proof....
kids who hunt, trap and fish dont mug little old ladies.......
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Tigerpaw wrote:
Now there is a bunch of bad advice!! Yes if the deer is close stop all calling and plaster yourself against a tree but to say call only once at a time is absurd :roll: The buck I called in this year came in to a series of 10-12 grunts with estrus can bleats every 3-4 grunts. That is the joy of hunting!! There is no set way that will work every time. Go out and give it your best try every year you will learn something new.
OH--- I wasnt specific enough for you and Like you said and I quote you "There is no set way that will work every time". In some of the places I hunt you start blown on a grunt like a trumpet and tippin a bleat can like a idiot youll not see a deer period. There is times when getting aggresive works but not a good way to start as a new caller..Who are you to say my advise is BAD...Ive killed plenty of deer in my time and I use many ways but for a new fella trying to learn your advise is what you dont want him to do..start small and grow as you learn.......I guess I should have tagged onto my thread IMHO....Heck a whole book could be wrote on callin when and how and when not to do , and all..no need to bash others advise cause thats just what it is advise..

And since you seem to know it all I must mention this------
In a Thread awhile back titled---->WHY??????

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=#128786

That you started, and I quote you ---->"-Why do I read time and again about our friends to the south seeing more deer in a two day hunt then I may see up here in a season?? Is it the cold winters? I know that it is not lack of habitat so what gives??? Why the large difference in deer numbers?"

Do you suppose you are blowin that grunt tube a little much and mabey tippin the bleat can a few times to many...Ha Ha how funny and you say my advise is bad and you have a problem even seein deer...mabey you need to leave the calls at home and see if you see more deer..just my advise ofcourse...what a joke :twisted:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!