Replacing the serving

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Replacing the serving

Post by ecoaster »

Is it worth the effort, or would you just buy another string? I have a FFF string with maybe 40 shots on it and the serving let go. The string is still practically brand new.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
jay73

Post by jay73 »

If it were me, I'd just go buy another. I couldn't be bothered re-serving it. I don't even know what it entails.

I know that some guys on here are into the string repair and other do-it yourself projects.

I guess Excalibur likes guys like me. :lol:

jay
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi there , i had my first string reserved 3 times, it is now my spare , and i bought a new string with the good green serving it has lasted over a year now , i do several 3D ternaments each year , the sreving on my first string was not very good and then the shop didnt do a great job of reserving , plus several terny;s are hard on servings, but yes get the string reserved even if u keep it for a spair string, reserving is 5$ - new string is almost 30$ . happy hunting.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Im haveing mine reserved right now. Sure beats the price of a new one.
No charge by a friend. :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Depends on how much you shoot and how many strings you go through. For hunting only, I'd say just buy new. If you do a lot of target shooting it might be worth the cost of material to do it yourself.
wabi
awshucks

strings

Post by awshucks »

Re: new string is almost 30$ . happy hunting.
Guys, Danny Miller sells Excels for $9 and FFF for $10 at [740] 483-2312. Dunno what the costs would be extra to gewt them to Canada, but if you got a few at once, might be worth checking out.
"Eze 18:21"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

bstout,

My first string I waxed the crap out of the serving. This one I only waxed once, after about 20 shots. I don't know what happend. I just noticed the serving was broken after about 40 shots.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I go get mine re-served for free, so I just do that.
rwk

serving

Post by rwk »

bstout can you send me some pics. Rich
gerald

Post by gerald »

TYE where do you get your string reserved? In Peterborough? I would like to know so I can get mine done also. I don't mean at the same price though.
A.W

Post by A.W »

gerald wrote:TYE where do you get your string reserved? In Peterborough? I would like to know so I can get mine done also. I don't mean at the same price though.
Probably Saugeen Shafts. I think he used to work there.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
rwk

Post by rwk »

bstout thanks. Rich
Rich

Post by Rich »

What size serving do you use, I've also heard of kite string being used.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Is the whole point of the serving is to protect the string from being damaged by the claws? I've got two very clear seperated parts of my serving where the claws seemed to have pushed the serving aside. Will the claws damage the string itself or is the "damage" to the serving simply because of the way it's wound and that the claw is able to get between the windings and push them apart? Thanks!
Bruno-TL

Replacing the Serving.

Post by Bruno-TL »

I seem to have a different problem with servings. My servings separate where the stringer clips push against the cocking mechanism at the very top of the cocking stroke. The angle is so acute that the clips push the serving apart at approx 1/4 inch from end of serving. Any suggestions?

Thom