cold feet!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

cold feet!

Post by mike41 »

This probably will be a hard post to answer, I guess its for you guys that hunt in cold weather and might have this problem.

I read the post on portable heaters with interest, I have thought about using a butane heater but am concerned about knocking it over with my wheelchair (hunt out of dog house). I never thought about a catalytic heater, I was looking at the Coleman Sport Trac, do you think it would start a fire before you could get it set upright if it were to be knocked over?

I googled electric socks and came up with Therma ic($169.00/399.00), lot of $$$$$ for something that you don't know will work or not. I have tried several different battery socks(much cheaper) and have never been satisfied. Wear wool layered socks plus boot blankets.(quadriplegic poor circulation)

I have had to limit my hunting to the 1st 2months of bow season(set/oct) and quit gun hunting all together. I sure would like to find a way to take advantage of the full seasons available.

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike41:
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Mike41 just my two cents but I would go wih the Mr.Heater a lot safer with the tip over switch and carbon detector.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I agree, get the Mr. Heater Buddy heater. Low oxygen shut off, and a switch that shuts it off if you tip it over.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I'm also a gimp. Paraplagic with poor circulation in legs so whatever temperature my legs are the rest of my body tries to become. What I have been using are the Grabber Mycoal Foot Warmers www.warmers.com in the sole of shoes and then wear heavy wool socks so no fear of thermal burn on bottom of feet. They sure help. The other problem with me is my legs. Since we have no innervation to the blood vessels of legs they don't work right. Normally when your surface skin temp gets cool the blood is shunted from surface vessels to deeper vessels to maintain body temperature. Ours don't work. The surface vessels stay wide open and cool skin temperatures cools the blood. This causes whole body to cool off. So.... I can only take three or four hours of freezing temperatures and then I'm outa there! My girlfriend bought me a goose down coverall from Cabela's but it is an absolute bitch to get into and so expensive. Now I am going to try bib overall type of insulated pants with the suspenders. They may be easier. I hope so cuz they $187 and it's a little expensive to experiment around with. Anyhow try those foot warmers and hand warmers. Hell sometimes I open four or five packs of them handwarmers and stuff them all over the place to stay warm. They are pretty cheap so I don't mind using them when I start getting cold. I bear hunt and deer hunt early and have it over with by the midst of winter, but still coyote and pheasant hunt so just have to tolerate it. My ground blind has dirt floor so not too worried about tipping over a heater. Be best to have one that shuts off if you are unable to reach down and set it upright. I can do stuff like that but you being a quad you may not be able to.

Good luck to ya.

DrDan
mike41

cold feet!

Post by mike41 »

Thanks for the replys on my post. Have tried most of them except heater.

Gary L, I found the Mr Heater at Northern Tools($70.00) think I will give it a try.
Dr. Dan you are so right, once my legs get cold it seems like I just get cold all over and I head for the cabin.

With all the other stuff I have bought, at this stage whats another $70.00

Mike41:
A.W

Post by A.W »

Buy a good pair of Merino wool socks. They keep my tootsies toasty warm. I bought them at BassPro for CAN $12.00. Keep your receipt because they will replace them if they wear out.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Leonard Hawkins

cold feet!

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

need a link for BassPro. are there merino socks 100 %? i got some from gander mtn.they were 67%. they helped but thought they would be warmer. Hawk
A.W

Re: cold feet!

Post by A.W »

Leonard Hawkins wrote:need a link for BassPro. are there merino socks 100 %? i got some from gander mtn.they were 67%. they helped but thought they would be warmer. Hawk
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... _SEARCH_GO

Here's a link to the "Lifetime" socks.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
mike41

cold feet!

Post by mike41 »

A.W thanks for the link on the wool socks, just ordered 2 pair. Like Leonard the merino socks I got at Wal-Mart were only 60/65% wool.

Mike41: