What a drag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

leaf fan

What a drag

Post by leaf fan »

I had two does come towards me in my stand.Both about 40yrds. out with trees between me and them.I told myself if the first one which was the larger of the two came between these two particular trees,in which i knew was 25yrds, i would take her.Wanted some meat for the freezer.Well she came and i shot my "MAG". I know i made a good shot.Watched her and the other doe take off until i couldn't see them anymore.Waited 10 min to get down from my stand.Found my bolt covered in blood.Waited another15min.At 5:30 it's gotten pretty dark.Did i mention it was slightly raining.Started heading in the direction they ran.Could not find a blood trail.Lots of leaves on the ground.Stayed in the bush with my head light for two hours.Decided to come back in the morning.Spent another two hours in the bush to no avail.Could not find her.That SUCKS.I will keep on hunting and i hope that doesn't happen to me again.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Don`t give up hope , I shot a buck during shotgun season on the friday afternoon it rained that night we had no blood and only a direction to go by . Unfortunately I did not find him till a week later he went for a swamp the last 100 yds is standing water but we did find it .It makes it a little easier to sleep . What I`m getting at is it could be just another 50 yds. from where you last looked . At least if you give your best effort then you can know deep down that was all you could do.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Don't give up yet. Go back in the morning and look. Believe me I was ready to give up about 5 times and just calmed my self down and slowly searched. That paid off 5hrs of looking and walked by him by 3 ft. I felt so much better than leaving him in the bush to go to waste. Hope it pays off for you.
sunset

Searching

Post by sunset »

When you go in the morning take someone else along with you. A fresh set of eyes can really help. As long as it's cold your doe should be fine overnight. Good luck.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

fletch wrote:I felt so much better than leaving him in the bush to go to waste.

Just wanted to say that a deer down in the bush would never go to "waste". Something will always get food from it.

I hear what you're saying though fletch.

Jay
rutman

Post by rutman »

Try walking the closest creek or water source.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!