thanks and learning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

thanks and learning

Post by navaman »

i just got back in last night from my hunt and i wanted everyone to know i'm really grateful for all the "good lucks" and prayers. i nailed a really big ten pointer with my vixen at 30 yards.(will be posting pictures as soon as i recieve them from dan hendricks) i was using GT lazer ll with the heavy brass insert and a 100 grain montec. yes, the heavy arrows are much slower but oh, what devastation it put on that buck ! i shot him in the left shoulder area and the arrow pierced the heart,passed through and broke the leg bone on the oppisite side. he didn't run but about 20 yards or less. a very good kill. the God of my understanding was very gracious to me and very merciful to my buck.
a couple of things i learned are that peeps aren't worth a damn to these old eyes. on my first day i had two misses on a beautiful 8 pointer. shot just under him. after the first miss he came back in a couple of hours and, son of a gun, if i didn't do the same thing! that evening i went back to the cabin and mounted a 2.5 shotgun scope on that vixen and the following morning bob bruce (a staff writer for horizontal bowhunter magazine) and myself sighted in at 20 yards. by golly. that evening at the last bit of shooting light my ten pointer strolled in. so another thing i learned was i want to go to red dot i know i would not have had such a hard time getting his vital area in sight with an illuminated dot.
another thing i learned is a nice hand made stock is great if all you're doing is taking your crossbow to tournament and 3D shoots but, in the real world of cold weather, rain, snow and other horrible conditions you just can't beat that composite stock that excalibur makes for being able to handle any field condition. i made a mess of that pretty stock :cry: .
anyway guys i can thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge and experiences with me. you have all been a blessing to me and have insrumental in my first crossbow kill and my first big buck kill.
in a few minutes before i go to church i'll get my wife to take some pictures of that heart and my arrow. gonna put that heart in the crock pot and cook it all day. :wink:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Congratulations!!!
Darz Bór!
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congratulations.
Can't wait to see the pictures.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

CONGRATS GREAT STORY!!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Digger

Post by Digger »

Congratulations on your buck, great story with it.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Congratulations on your buck, super story fer sure .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congratulations on the harvest Navaman!
Why ride when you can walk!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Way to go navaman! Congrats! Enjoy that slow cooked heart. She should be good and tender.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good job!

I'm a heart-eater, too. I crock 'em with half a white onion and a big bay leaf in some broth, and simmer all day. I just slice 'em and eat 'em ... usually use the broth in something else, like beans.
Grizz
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Congrats
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Big congrats on your 10 pointer!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
You might want to look at the TenPoint Pro-view scope. I put one on my Phoenix and I love it. 3 crosshairs with illuminated dots at the centers, 3x magnification, red or green dots. With the Phoenix I sighted the center crosshair at 25 yards, and the others are on at 15 & 35.
wabi
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

Congratulations!! Great story!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats!!!
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "