any guys rabbit hunt w/ xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowking

any guys rabbit hunt w/ xbow

Post by xbowking »

wondering if any guys rabbit hunt in the winter with there crossbows ?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

This is one of the main purposes of my choice of crossbow, although I have not yet, I soon will be.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

iv shot several deer w/ my excalibur , 2 grouse , several black squerrils, i going out deer hunting this week end , will be looking for rabbits too , i shoot squerrils with the JUDO points ,even with the claws on them they rip right through a squerril , im thinking they will do major damage to a rabbit , i also eat everything i shoot .
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

xbowking,
I work in Tottneham a couple of days a week. Perhaps in January, after the deer season is over, we can thump thumper. Do you kick them up or do you have dogs?
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
kev

Post by kev »

never tried for rabbit's. Shot 5-6 groundhogs out back over the years. Wacked a squirrel a few years ago.

I'm ashamed to say I have'nt done much small game hunting in a long time. I hunt groundhog's with rifle in spring through summer, hunt deer fall and early winter with Excal., call for yote's in late winter a little with rifle/shotgun.

Around me I think you'd need a good Beagle or two for bunnies. I really think I could shoot my limit of squirrels anytime though. I've not ran into anyone squirrel hunting in quite a few years around here.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I've done it with a compound and long bow for grouse, squirrel, and rabbit. My concern with a crossbow is the amount of dollars you'd spend on broken or bent shafts, even with judo points, about which you are right; they really rip them up. Remember, in winter, the ground can be, and usaully is, rock hard. It will be certainly be fun, but also costly.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I think it would be a ton of fun and a excellent way to practice. I have not done this with the crossbow yet, but use to regularly small game hunt with my compound bow(before I got a real job). I had a set of cheap arrows with target tips . . .aim small, miss small and have some fun. During the summer months I would shoot woodchuck/groundhog with my compound . . .I knew a guy that eat those . . .but not me!

I was thinking about setting the xbow up for fishing in the Gulf . . .I think that could be some serious fun in the "off season".
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shifty

Post by shifty »

Ive shot a few rabbits and squirrels with my exomag. Dosent trash them at all with a judo and they are fun to hunt but stick to carbons because hittin the ground can be hard on arrows