weak shaft

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lucky strike

weak shaft

Post by lucky strike »

at 15yds my shaft is entering the target nock right-using xocet 165-2117 -125 grn heads-made sure shaft was dead center on rails-string not cocked left or right. can i increase the brace height to make a correction??
thanks jp
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never heard of anyone tuning crossbow arrows. As long as the point is hitting the bullseye the rest of the shaft will follow.
How do you know the arrow is hitting nock right? Are you shooting through "tuning paper"? If not the arrow could be simply finding a weak spot in the target and following it. I often get arrows angled in the target, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were not flying straight before they hit. As long as I can hit the bullseys at various ranges I'm not going to worry.
wabi
grandtrout

Post by grandtrout »

A few things to check

- is the target uniform-this can kick an arrow out sidways after impact.
- is the bolt straight & the nock & insert aligned straight - spin test
- is the point itself bent
- is the fletching in good shape
- are you cocking the bow straight -mark the string on either side of the rail and then cock & verify string alignment - a white paint marker works well for this test
- check the tiller - measure from the riser to the string at the edge of the limb on both sides - make sure the limb bolts are properly seated.
-check for clearance issues - dust the rail & riser with baby powder & shoot.

Let us know what you come up with - hope this helps
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I'm no expert but isn't a 2117 shaft kind of light? I thought 22/64 inch shafts were reconmended, as in 2216, 2219, and 2215s. Like I said, I'm no expert but could it be the shaft?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

grandtrout wrote:A few things to check

- is the target uniform-this can kick an arrow out sidways after impact.
- is the bolt straight & the nock & insert aligned straight - spin test
- is the point itself bent
- is the fletching in good shape
- are you cocking the bow straight -mark the string on either side of the rail and then cock & verify string alignment - a white paint marker works well for this test
- check the tiller - measure from the riser to the string at the edge of the limb on both sides - make sure the limb bolts are properly seated.
-check for clearance issues - dust the rail & riser with baby powder & shoot.

Let us know what you come up with - hope this helps
Check for the above in red for sure as this can sure happen, and most think its the xbow or arrow.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
lucky strike

weak shaft

Post by lucky strike »

To groundtrout and others: all suggestions were taken into account and checked and still the shaft is hitting nock right.I shot a bolt with no fletch and the bend is the same but more severe-The point does hit my intended target but I don't like the nock end position as this could lead to a potetially bad shot on game and dissrupt penetration. I'll probably increase the brace height and shorten the stroke to see if it effectively changes anything.
jp
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Its always a possibility the back of the bolt is trying to pass the front end up at that short a distance and with the force that is still behind it. The only true test like wabi said is shoot it through paper.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Highlander wrote:I'm no expert but isn't a 2117 shaft kind of light? I thought 22/64 inch shafts were reconmended, as in 2216, 2219, and 2215s. Like I said, I'm no expert but could it be the shaft?
Before Excalibur changed to 2216, the bolt of choice was 2117, which weightwise is almost the same as the 2216. Reason, it has smaller diameter, but a thicker wall.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.