Cooking the heart??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildwindom

Cooking the heart??

Post by wildwindom »

Me and dad want to try the heart can some of you guys tell us how you cook it please.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
poordave

cooking

Post by poordave »

Cut in in 1/4" slices, cook in butter until just done. Great eating. Dave
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

You can also par-boil it, then slice it and spice it up and eat it, or after par-boiling it fry it in butter with onions and some sherry. MMMM MMM good.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
peter p

Post by peter p »

I like to cut it up into small chunks and fry it in a little oil with onions.
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

Slice in 1/4 inch slices. Dip in flour and drop in int 1/2 hot gease. Chicken Fried fresh deer heart excellent. You asked.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Anything that should be trimmed off befor cooking ? I have it soaking in salt water at this time is that ok or not ?
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

GarL,
Soaking in salt water assists in drawing the clotted blood out of the heart. You should change the water a couple of times and make sure it is cool water you are soaking in. I also insert my fingers into the various valves and remove any clots.
Because there is so much meat to consume in one sitting, I usually boil the heart and then let it cool. It is the best sliced meat for sandwiches combined with you favorite fixings.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

We fry the slices in butter with Spanish onions and a bit of soy sauce. Real good.
NZ Hunter

Post by NZ Hunter »

Frying with butter and onions with a bit of your fav seasoning is good.
Also I like it stuffed and baked, just like we do Ox heart.
We used to be the agents for game ie deer pigs goats, local hunters would bring in their game as well as hellicopters would drop piles of deer off. It was mainly for export, The good thing about it was we got to eat all the hearts we wanted.
We also saved the tongues and put them into a brian to salt them at the local butchers then put them into a gelotine mix into a large bowl then let set in the fridge overnight. Then tip the bowl over on to a large plate then you have a large deer tongue cake. would feed our family and the local hunters for days, great on bread with chutney.
If it feels good, DO IT.
navaman

Post by navaman »

when i cooked mine this past sunday i put it in a crockpot by itself for 4 hours. then i opened a can of pinto beans and added. i also added some chopped onion and jalepeno, 2 chopped cloves of garlic, and cumin. then i allwed the heart to cook for an additional 4 hours with all those ingredients. after the heart was cooked i took it out and sliced and chopped it and added it back into the beans. it was delicious ! i served mine to myself (my wife and daughter were having none of it. said it was gross :lol: ) in a cig bowl topped off with grated sharp chedddar cheese. :wink:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
knobby

Post by knobby »

NZ Hunter wrote: deer tongue cake.
:shock:
wabi

Post by wabi »

COOK IT????? :shock:
I thought you were supposed to cut the chest cavity, reach in and pull it out, then eat it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

wabi wrote:COOK IT????? :shock:
I thought you were supposed to cut the chest cavity, reach in and pull it out, then eat it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well that's what I thought also wabi, however the WIFE stated in a very well deep tone I did not know she could do I would be sleeping on the floor If I tried that :shock:

Thanks much for all the information fellows, will be trying out some of the suggestions except fer one, no offence wabi :twisted: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
shifty

Post by shifty »

I dont soke mine in salt as I feel that tuffens the meat . Iwash it out cut it in half trim out the vavles them cut them again to make thin steaks and iether dip them in oil before I BBQ it or fry it in oil with montreal steak spice. VERY GOOD EATIN
deerman

Post by deerman »

ORGANS STAY IN THE GUT PILE; BACKSTRAPS AND TENDERLOIN IN BUTTER AND ONIONS. :D