Spitfire Broadheads for Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vince Galipeau

Spitfire Broadheads for Exomax

Post by Vince Galipeau »

Is there a problem with using 100 Gr. Spitfire broadheads on the Exomax Bow?
Vince
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

I tried some from an exocet and found that more times than not they would open because of the sudden initial force. I use Gator XP or Gold Tip Gladiators as far as mechanicals without any problems. Any of the forward opening mechanicals that don't use bands will usually open. On the ones that use bands I would double them. I have had friends miss a few deer because of the blades opening and the bolt diving wildly. It is best to learn form others mistakes.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Vince I have asked the company dirrectly and they told me that thier heads have been tested to over 450 FPS without opening.

Now is saying that, you whould also NOT SHOOT the head more then 5 times without replacing the clips. I personaly will not hunt without new clips and blades.

I personally believe that when people say that they have had early opening of these heads, it was because of inproper maintaince of head. Mechanicals require maintaince to make sure they sork proper. Use the head and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Haven't commented on my use of Spitfires, but I tried them this fall. Shot a doe at less than 20 yards and everything looked good. The shot was a little off the aiming point, but well within the heart-lung region. I lost the blood trail after 50 or 60 yards???? It just disappeared! When I finally found her a few days later the wound looked like it should have taken the lungs, but she was too "ripe" to do an autopsy on. I have no idea why she didn't go down like they usually do from a hit like that, but she didn't bleed like she should have, and she went much farther than I would have thought possible.
I went back to the "old-fashioned" Wasp JakHammers with 2 o-rings, and have shot 2 more does since. Both died within 50 yards and one went only 28 or 29 yards.
wabi
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

The premature opening problem I had with the heads were on brand new never fired heads straight out of the package. Granted this was back in the late 90's when the heads first came out, they could have made improvements since then. Factory testing vs. real world use is 2 different things.
speedball

Post by speedball »

i personally had very good results out of a compound with spitfires killed 8 deer with them with nasty wounds, and killed one doe using a 150lb horton hunter with amazing results, but that was before i found slick tricks and now i dont need a mechanical, they have made me a beliver 8 deer and not one went out of sight,speed......... :wink:
gone huntin never to return................