hearing protection

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

hearing protection

Post by M&M »

does anyone use any type of hearing protection while gun hunting and if so what do you use and how do you like it and why? Last week during the ohio gun season on tuesday I shot a 8 pointer with my muzzleloader, I didn't notice it at first till later but I couldn't hardly hear out of my left ear for a day and a half so I hunted with an earplug in my left ear for the rest of the week, I have seen electronic ear muffs which would work great on the gun range but thy would be hard to get a hat over top of them to keep my ears warm I would like to find something small to insert into the ears that is comfortable that I can still hear good with but protects during a gunshot and also that I can still pull a hat over my ears without discomfort. thanks guys M&M
TYE

Post by TYE »

Sometimes when I wizz off a few shots out of my semi, my ears will ring for a few moments after I'm done shooting. Sometimes I don't noticed it in all my excitement of shooting a deer anyways. :lol:
A.W

Post by A.W »

I damaged my hearing in the military. Too many round and rockets.

Cabelas has a selection. Just depends on what you can afford.

I found this on the Net. I don't know how good they are but the price is reasonable.

http://www.bkkenterprises.com/products.asp?cat=20
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I splurged and spent $400 on the Walker's Game Ear Power Muff Digital QUADS A/I model.

I don't find them THAT useful for hunting as far as actually hearing animals, because you're just NOT going to hear a walking deer until it's right on top of you anyway, but I can imagine they'll be more useful during turkey season. I feel like they DO make me more conscious of how much sound *I* am making, though, which is a good thing.

I hunt near a major highway, and with the digital model, I can filter out the noise of the traffic somewhat by adjusting the frequency.

The Quad part means that there are 4 microphones - two on each side split front and back. They really DO let you know what direction the sound is coming from. That part works remarkably well.

The A/I option lets me directly plug in my cell phone (good for checking my work voicemails quietly when I've skipped out to hunt) or my two-way radio. Nice for when I'm sitting in the blind, but not very convenient to have the wires running about when I'm walking through the woods.

The big reason I wanted them was for the gun range. I can have amplified hearing all the time except for when I'm shooting. Much safer than wearing regular plugs/muffs.

As far as getting a hat on over/under them - I wouldn't worry about your ears. These things will keep your ears warm just fine. I put a knit cap on my head (off my ears) and put the muffs over the hat.

The one big drawback is when I'm bowhunting, because the muffs interfere with my anchor point. I *think* I can still shoot with them on, but I need to do more testing in the offseason. I wouldn't dare trying it at this point.

Were they worth $400? Probably not, but I had a $200 gift card to use so I considered it half-off. :wink:
M&M

Post by M&M »

I also allready have some hearing loss. I am a military aircraft mechanic and working around aircraft running engines and other ground equipment takes its toll so I can't afford to loose any more hearing, my wife claims it is selective hearing loss ha ha [that part is a bonus] but anyway I looked at the walkers game ear site and they have a lot of neat products that might fill the need I'll have to check them out. M&M
Basel

Post by Basel »

I use Pro Ears muffs for both gun and archery hunting. They are great. The sound amplification really does help these middle aged ears plus they also help over come some of my hearing loss from childhood ear infections. They can be somewhat unconfortable if you wear them all day long but I can wear them for 3-4 hour streches without too much problem. They are definately worthwhile and I don't leave home without them. The dimension 2 model that I have can take an input from an mp3 or cd player. I like to use them when I cut the grass.
Basel
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I damaged my left ear years ago shooting a 460 Weatherby Magnum to much. I always wear muffs while sighting in or shooting but not to Hunt. I might rethink that soon now that there are muffs on the market that dont hinder your hearing in the woods.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I don't plan on ever firing a gun without my muffs on again. My father poo-poos it, but I've heard too many stories of people that have suffered permanent hearing loss just from firing one shot in the woods while hunting. It's not an acceptable risk to me.

For anyone that is considering buying the original Game Ear (or any other brand) that is more like a hearing aid - you should put it in the *opposite* ear from your shooting hand for maximum protection. In other words, if you shoot your gun right-handed, your left ear takes the brunt. I prefer to use the muffs and make sure that both ears are covered.
Duey

Post by Duey »

I use Walkers power quad muffs for all types of shooting and hunting.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I do not shoot anymore without hearing protection. I am constantly asking people to repeat themselves and suffer from tinnitus. The ringing is so bad that I use a radio or tv with the volume up to create background noise so i can go to sleep. :cry: