turkey hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Highlander

turkey hunting

Post by Highlander »

Okay, I know the deer season is still going strong in most places, but here in central Ontario it ended on November 30. I am still practicing every day and enjoying shooting my Vixen. I might even take one more foray down south to try to fill a tag. But....now my thoughts are starting to turn to ice fishing and, more importantly, the turkey season which will be upon us in a mere 137 days (but who is counting?).

So, in preparation, I'd like to start a discussion on how a crossbow hunter needs to prepare for this. Any advice on proven broadheads, tactics, and special considerations that a crossbow hunter should take into account would be appreciated. I'm probably going to hunt with a shotgun most days, at least for the first bird. But this bow needs to earn its keep and I'd like nothing better than to give it the opportunity....

Let's get this thread going, turkey season will come sooner than we
think....Thanks.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Deer season is still on here in Ontario :? Must be a wierd rule where you are.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Wildlife Management Units 46, 48, 49, 50 53A, 54, 56, 57, and 58 end their archery seasons for deer on November 30. The rationale is to protect deer when they yard up, since our winter's come a little earlier here. If we were allowed to hunt them into December, we'd massacre them in the yarding areas. They are too well known and easily accessed.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Sorry about your short season, but I am as exited about turkey season as I am about deer. The end of last season was good to me and I got my first xbow turkey. It was a call shy 7.5 year old tom. I know that because he was banded by the ministry when he was released. His mistake was that he followed a daily pattern which made for easy ambush. I used a goldtip laser 2 tipped with a 100 gr. wasp jak hammer sst expandible and a zwickey scorpio arrester. It took out the wing bone on entry side then the spine, lungs and took out the muscle of the exit side wing. It was awsome to see him stop his leisurely walk so suddenly. My bolt shaft broke in half, I don't really understand why. I would reccomend the zwickeys and your favorite most accurate head.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Did the bird go far?
rutman

Post by rutman »

Dropped in his tracks, there was some good luck on my side because I was laying on my belly in the long grass when he was walking by. There is no stopping a turkey for a shot so I put a little lead on him. Bit of bs luck!
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

no your not the only one. since heard those two birds sound off last weekend while i was deer hunting. i am ready for the turkey season to get here fast. i just wish ga had a fall season but we dont. i have all ready got a list of things to do before it even starts. the main thing is pattern the new 20 ga i got at the end of last years turkey season. so come on spring i am ready for it.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

No fall season here either....Do the Zwickey arresters affect arrow flight much?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Highlander wrote:Wildlife Management Units 46, 48, 49, 50 53A, 54, 56, 57, and 58 end their archery seasons for deer on November 30. The rationale is to protect deer when they yard up, since our winter's come a little earlier here. If we were allowed to hunt them into December, we'd massacre them in the yarding areas. They are too well known and easily accessed.
Makes sense.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Highlander wrote:No fall season here either....Do the Zwickey arresters affect arrow flight much?
Not at all. They only add a tiny amount of weight and no ill effects to the arrow flight. As for what head to use, any head that your confidant with and which is accurate. The most important part is the accuracy and then an arrestor of somesort to stop the arrow from passing through the bird.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

In 2007 the MNR are talking about having a fall hunt around thanks giving.
Highlander, how far north have you seen wild turkey?
TYE

Post by TYE »

hikerman wrote:In 2007 the MNR are talking about having a fall hunt around thanks giving.
I think that's a good idea :)
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

hikerman wrote:In 2007 the MNR are talking about having a fall hunt around thanks giving.
Highlander, how far north have you seen wild turkey?
one of the guys that i work with owns a cottage up in magneto one, parry sound, and he saw a hen with a bunch of little ones with her this summer, that in area 47, the spot here we leave our cars when going to deer camp, also in area 47, the owner has spotted some turkey's.

but the winters are really rough up there, i believe it will take some time probably until trukeys learn to survive the winter up there.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Turkeys are amazingly tough for a bird. They seem to live in exactly the same manner as deer. They prefer hemlocks to roost in,(right above the deer beds). There diet is identicle to deer except for bugs and grubs. They prefer the same spots in the fields to feed as deer. They even yard with deer to the point that if you want a good confidence decoy for deer try a turkey. I can't believe how the #s have increased around here since their introduction in the mid 80's. Especially with the sickening coyote population. You'd wonder how a hen would ever be able to sit on a nest for 31 or 32 days and survive but they do.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I live northeast of Haliburton and we have them here on our property. I had two hens walk under my stand in deer season and we saw at least ten birds in the immediate area this spring. Though we don't have a season here yet, I called in a nice gobbler to a camera two seasons ago. I hunt them just south of Parry Sound. I have to since it isn't legal here yet.

Everyone says they won't make it here because of our harsh winters and lack of agriculture, but the turkeys seem to be proving them wrong. They've been here for at least five years now and every local I know has experienced at least a few sightings. The other day one of my neighbours called to tell me about two hens at her bird feeder. They seem to hang out in the cedar and hemlock swamps in winter and they hit bird feeders, cow manure piles, and sumacs as well. One trapper I know says they are budding on poplars too. Yeah, they're tough, all right.