FOC and other arrow adjustments

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Highlander

FOC and other arrow adjustments

Post by Highlander »

Since I've joined this site I've read numerous discussions about customizing bolts, changing FOCs, refletching etc.... My question is, is all this worth it? I seem to get good performance out of the arrows I buy at the store especially, within thirty yards.

What kind of improvments could I expect by customizing my bolts? I'm open to the idea, just unsure of the benefits...
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

To answer your question in a nutshell; probably not. However, if your the type of person who continually asks: "What if I did this to that?" Then the answer would be different. Curiousity, or the inability to leave well enough alone.

If your arrows are doing what you want them to do, as you say, why would you change. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You could scroll through the posts made throughout this Fall season and see that members have taken game with all manner of combinations of bolt, broadhead, bows, etc. If your satified with the performance you're getting, then that's a good thing.

Regards
Joe
TYE

Post by TYE »

I kind of have the same mindset towards my crossbow as I do towards snowboarding.

When I'm snowboarding, I never quit untill I get the trick perfect. Same with my crossbow. I never quit playing with it till I get it perfect.
Daniele

FOC adjustments

Post by Daniele »

Hello everyone,
i too wonder occasionally about playing with settings and equipment, i don't do very much of that, i practice less than i should/would like, however i do until i can group at 30 yds, over time i have switched my broadheads and their weight; i have only missed one deer a couple of years ago, i misjudged the distance from the ground and shot under.
I am glad that there are a good number of members here that have the time and the drive/ambition to continually improve their performance with their toys; it's thanks to them that we ( The Contented ones? ) can ask a question on this forum about pretty well anything to do with hunting and shooting with fair certainty to get a positive answer.
I am still very happy with my older EXOMAG 185 lbs and my middle aged VIXEN at 150 lbs; thanks to all for the great help about all the queries i have posted.
Good hunting, be safe.
navaman

Post by navaman »

pokynojoe wrote:To answer your question in a nutshell; probably not. However, if your the type of person who continually asks: "What if I did this to that?" Then the answer would be different. Curiousity, or the inability to leave well enough alone.

If your arrows are doing what you want them to do, as you say, why would you change. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You could scroll through the posts made throughout this Fall season and see that members have taken game with all manner of combinations of bolt, broadhead, bows, etc. If your satified with the performance you're getting, then that's a good thing.

Regards
Joe
" leave well enough alone" boy ! that describes this old boy to a tee
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."