Bohning Blazer vanes...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

Bohning Blazer vanes...

Post by pokynojoe »

Will the 2" Blazer vanes help to stabilize broadhead flight better, as opposed to 4" Duravanes or 4" feathers, if the FOC is a little less desirable than it should be, not a lot, just a little, like 0.5-1.0%? Thanks guys for your input.

Regards
Joe

PS: Get well soon Saxman!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Joe,
4" feathers should be the lightest - 2" Blazers next - and 4" dura vanes heaviest. The lighter the fletch the higher the FOC should be.
wabi
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Joe, I have been fletching my own arrows for 30 years now. I started using Blazers almost 2 years ago when they first came out and have found nothing better. They are short but the profile is actually the same heigth as a 5" vane. They work so well I even use them for large 2 blade fixed broadheads out of my recurve, and get excellent flight.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Thanks guys. I guess what I'm asking is: Will the profile of the Blazers help compensate for a less than desirable FOC, given everything else is the same?

Regards
Joe
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

No sir they will not .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Everyones setup is different thus shoots different. In my opinion I would say there is a good chance they could help. I believe the profile of the Blazers will help because they are short and stiff plus the lesser weight in the rear should help. If you have a "less than desirable FOC" then I guess you have an aluminum front insert with a lightweight broadhead ??? Possibly trying to get down to minimum bolt weight ?
If so then I believe the Blazer vanes might help stabilize. They are not real expensive and if you have a fletcher then I think it would certainly be worth a try. Good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I fletched a couple Blazers tonight onto some Beman Thunderbolts to give them a try.

If all goes well I might try them on my Gold Tips and see if they will make a difference with them.

pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Thanks again fellas. Looks good Tye.

PRB
I believe I'm learning what many on this forum already know. You kind of hit the nail on the head, sort of. I know I can get down to minimum weight with Laser 2's, but they are expensive, especially around here. I'm trying to manipulate my way down towards minimum weight with 2216 while still trying to maintain between 12-13% FOC. I know I can't do this, but I thought maybe I could get close. The best I'm able to do is a 17" arrow, with feathers, 100gr. tip, carbon flat nock and aluminum insert(slightly cut down). Even with this I'm still around 368gr., FOC=12.4%. This is acceptable, and the arrows fly pretty good, but I'm really going through feathers. I bought some blazers to try, but I'm only able to get 11.8%FOC and I'm roughly 6grs. heavier. Haven' t had a chance to shoot them yet. Since I shoot a Vixen, I would like to keep my speed up as much as possible. Anyway, I believe I know what I'm going to end up doing. This little endeavor is probably going to come around full circle.

Regards
Joe
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I tried some bohning 5 inch vanes and the .600 height kept my bolt off of the rail. the down vane was hitting the bottom of the groove. Also they were bent hard by the scope mount. Switched to 3 inch duravanes.
Hope this helps, Stosh
PRB

Post by PRB »

Yes pokynojoe I know what you mean. I too am learning what many on here know as well. I have done in the past exactly what your doing now. I used my dremel tool and cut the bolt length, rear nock down as well as the front. I was down to 323 grains for my Vixen and the minimum is 325 so I was pushing it real hard. To make a long story short I now shoot a 445 grain (20" Laser GT, blazer vane, brass front insert, 125g Montec) and I have a FOC of 17.2 % :shock:
I really did enjoy messing around with different weights though.
Good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Pokynjoe - wouldn't changing to 125-grain heads help your FOC?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Pokynjoe what type of problem you be having using feathers :?: I have been using feathers for a very long time and have had no real problems with them. Only problem is just like a vane if one gets nicked by another arrow or at times if not glued proper tear one lose in the target.

I do however keep a set of fletched vanes for rainy weather but hardly ever have to use them as I don't go out much in the rain to hunt.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Stosh:
I measured the rail with a plunge gauge and got .657 or there abouts. The 2" Blazers are around .523 at the widest, so this is a non-issue, for my Vixen anyway.

Corvus:
Adding a heavier point would increase my FOC as you state, in fact drastically, given the over all weight of the arrow. But, it would add 25 grains to the total weight, I'm trying to see how low I can go, while maintaining an acceptable FOC. What you suggest, is probably what I'll end up doing in the long run. I believe I've reached the limit of what I can do, at least with the various arrow components I've got laying around.

Gary:
Nothing wrong with feathers, they're all I've ever used for my recurves. Really the problem is my home made targets are chewing them up. I can also see some interference from the arrow hold down spring(sic). This probably isn't an issue, but it doesn't look right. These are 4" parabolic feathers. The penetration problem is only an issue inside 25yds. or so. If I wasn't so cheap(I mean thrifty!), I'd buy a better target.

Thanks for your input guys
Joe
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Tye,

Let us know how those blazers work on your Bemans. I'm real curious....espcecially out of a Vixen.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Highlander wrote:Tye,

Let us know how those blazers work on your Bemans. I'm real curious....espcecially out of a Vixen.
I just went outside and shot the 2 Beman's I fletched Blazers on.

They flew great out of the Phoenix. Dead center every single shot. I only shot 20 and 30 yards though. I never tried them out of the Vixen. I'm sure they'd shoot the same.

The fletch tite glew didn't hold them very good. The cold weather must have weakened the glue. They blazers fell off after a while. I'll have to try some stronger better glue. But I will probably be using these Blazer vanes on my hunting arrows next year, or for turkey in the spring.