Is it just here

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Is it just here

Post by rutman »

I was just wondering if I'm the only one having trouble with the deer all being NOCTURNAL. I've never had a seaspn like this!.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
cubb

Post by cubb »

I live near stratford on. I think it's sort of the same around here, i've been last night and the night before that, both perfect nights, maybe a little windy, but i didn't see a single thing? which seemed unusual? i was going to go out this moring but i slept in. so tomorrow morning we'll see what they are doing?
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I agree with you Rutman. I hunted heavy this year and got 3 deer. That being said, I was really lucky because those are the only 3 deer I saw all season. I did not see any does all season.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I even tried a morning hunt to see if they were hanging in there. I sill did'nt see any, but tons of fresh tracks every where I go.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Tom

Re: Is it just here

Post by Tom »

rutman wrote:I was just wondering if I'm the only one having trouble with the deer all being NOCTURNAL. I've never had a seaspn like this!.
I normally see deer when I am out hunting, but usually just out or range or I choose to not take them. But this year, I have see one deer, the same with my dad and we both have been hunting hard. We even hunted in the rut without seeing anything. There is always sign the next time we go there, but nothing during the daylight hours. Even the farmer has stated that he does not see deer at dusk like normal, but about 1 hour after the fields have deer in them, usually alot.

I think the coyotees in my area have the deer spooked so that unless it is dark (their advantage) they do not move. Also if anything comes near them, they are gone in a hurry.

This is no doubt the most frustrating year to date.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
rutman

Post by rutman »

I never even imagined my areas to hunt could let me down like they have. Do you think it's this weird climatic change has them messed up as well. I't is a huge buffet in the fields this year with few fields plowed. Soys are sprouting and there probably isn't much competetion for available food source. They probably can fill up in a couple hours and chew cud the rest of the time.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

rutman

You're not alone. I see tons of sign but no deer except about 3 weeks before opening day when I saw a monster.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hasn't been so bad down here. Got four and could have gotten more, and expect to fill my last two tags next week. Haven't really been hunting much for the past four weeks.

The deer here always get really nocturnal after rifle season's been in for two months! You hardly ever see deer out in the open during daylight in December ... but sweep a light after dark (legal here) and you'll see plenty, usually.

If you're not seeing anything, I'd really hunt hard when you've got any kind of pressure system coming in after a spell of different weather ... especially if it's a big bad cold front.
Grizz
rutman

Post by rutman »

Thanks for the idea. I have drove my truck into a couple fields and the deer are there it's just the daylight there avoiding for whatever reason. I have a one acre food plot thats lousy with sign but the deer are all nightowls.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

WELL IT HAS BEEN ROUGH IN N.E. KANSAS , MY SON KILLED A BIG ONE THE YOTES GOT EARLY, BUT SINCE THEN IT HAS BEEN REALLY SLOW, I SAW 4, 2 NIGHTS AGO FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WHILE, OUR WEATHER HAS BEEN VERY WORM, TODAY IT IS 50 WE GOT 1IN. OF RAIN TODAY???????

H.J
they say he is still up there.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I'm not giving up, taking an old friend out that I've been trying to set up with a shot all season. Pretty tough helping someone else when you can't even do a good job yourself. I hope it finally works out. I't would be celebration time in a big way. :wink:
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I would say it's been a mixed bag this year. I've seen a number of deer during daylight, most prior to the shotgun season. But I have also heard a lot more moving to their bedding areas well before legal light.

It has been frustrating. Fortunately I was able to take a doe, so I do have some venison, but I would like to have an opportunity to take a buck.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Oh <whew>! It's nice to know I'm not the only one the deer seem to be avoiding! It's been so very frustrating as I'm sure I'm doing everything right and still no deer. Having said that, I saw three last week - on property I don't have permission to hunt! Sigh.

Took a day last week to thoroughly scour the whole property out for any clues to changes in habits. Found some fresh daytime sign in a new location and have relocated my set-up. Am still hoping to score before the season ends. Wonder if my family will miss me if I'm not around for Christmas? LOL
Last edited by VixChix on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Post by Tom »

well I went to my favorate ground blind tonight. I stayed until last light then slowly walked out into the field. Again still nothing. When walking back to the truck, I deceided to remove my trail cam to set in another location, so I walked back into the bush (another location) and removed it. On the way out, almost back to the farm house, I hear chunk chunk chunk chunk ....... starting right next to me at about 15 yards. :lol: my bow was in case and I could not see anything anyway but I heard a deer :shock: HEE HAW !!!!!.

Just the third live sign I have seen this season, but it was at night BOOO HOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
rutman

Post by rutman »

I'm sorry you guy's are sharing my difficulties. I guess it's part of hunting and we just have to suck it up. Yesterday, my brother who works at the local garage called me on my cell just as I was finished the morning hunt. He said a lady just pulled in with a smashed up van that had hit a deer, about 10:30 am. He asked her where she had hit it and she told him it had run out in the field dragging it's rear and that it was a big buck. I't layed down out in the field. I at that time was about five miles from the spot but only had the xbow. I went there to find it laying about 20 yrds out from the ditch head up and quite lively. I didn't know for sure at the time but it had two broken back legs. There was a lot of traffic on the highway and it looked like he was gonna take for the bush. I couldn't get out of the truck for fear of scaring him so with the bow still cocked I loaded and sent one flying. His front leg was back in camel mode and guess who sucked and shot low. :oops: I then decided, too bad for the onlooking traffic and best for the deer was to get out, reload and walk out. I got a better angle and the next one hit the mark. He was dne about 3 minutes later. he rolled over and broke one of my GT's and left one of my expandibles in his boiler room, made for scary field dressing. My brother took the meat so another deer was not wasted on the wrong kind of grill. I just wish I would of had a gun instead not only for a quicker kill but my lousy first shot made for an expensive road kill.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!