What truck should I buy ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hipwader

What truck should I buy ?

Post by Hipwader »

Ok gang I need your expert advise. I'm in the market for a used truck around the 2002 year range. My problem is that I don't really know what I like. I have test driven the Ford F150, and liked it. I have tried the Chevy Silverado, liked it too. To make matters even more difficult I liked the Dodge Dakotas as well.

So give me your good, bad and ugliest info on all of them. Hopefully it will help me narrow down my search.

Thanks Hipwader
TYE

Post by TYE »

GMC Sierra :)

One sexy truck :)
Last edited by TYE on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have heard of a major problem with some of the Fords in the 2001-2003 models (not sure which year). The problem is that the motor would BLOW out a spark plug right out of the block. Strips the threads right out of the block.

If you going with a ford, I would make sure it is not one of those models, expensive fix.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
chessy

Post by chessy »

been in them all... ford gmc .... toyota hands down best truck and sure has on hell of a warrentee
TYE

Post by TYE »

chessy wrote:been in them all... ford gmc .... toyota hands down best truck and sure has on hell of a warrentee
Toyota Tacoma is another nice lookin' truck.

If I ever buy a truck it'll be GMC or Chevy, cuz of discounts :) Father works for GM.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Toyota Tundra hands down, if you can afford it. Just check the lemonade book. Hard to beat the Japanese in vehicles and electronics.

I know that's my next truck it I can ever afford it.

Grey Owl
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I have a Tundra quad cab and love it - I've owned Dodge and GMC before this and the Tundra is the hands down winner in quality, ride, and reliability.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Big John

trucks

Post by Big John »

Been a GMC Sierra Owner for 10 yrs. now and no problems!
Always liked the GMC or Chevy' Trucks, Just something about the Feel and abuse taking capabilities!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

I am a GM guy, but for a little over year now, we have been running Nissan Titans as crew trucks for the rig. I have to say I have been impressed with them so far. Lots of power and holding up real well and a nice ride. I would look at one for my own next truck.

..Al.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I drove a 88" Dakota till 2003 with no problems,sold it for $1500.00 and bought a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab :wink: new and haven't had any regrets.The V-6 is a little lacking though if you want power/strength but hauling capabilities in the bed are no problem.
TYE

Post by TYE »

bstout wrote:The one you like best.
Can't disagree with what Bob said.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've been driving two GMC Sierra's for 10 years as my principal trucks. I'd still be driving the first one, I'm sure, if I hadn't been T-boned by an inconsiderate Suburban driver going 35 mph! Sierra's are tough, but not that tough ... frame was badly bent ... but I drove it home, more than 60 miles. Very slowly! Insurance totaled it.

I've not had any trouble with these trucks in 350,000 miles of driving. Not one failure to start (except a dead battery); not one part has given out and stranded me. They have been exceptional trucks. They feel solid and drive nice, too.

I do believe Toyota makes some durable vehicles, but evidently those lil' ol' Japanese fellers don't know how to make a Grizzly-sized truck yet, because I sure can't fit into those small ones comfortably, and the big ones don't seem to be much better. Haven't tried the latest versions, though. Maybe they're roomier!

From the red-blooded American lineup, I'd vote GMC. I suppose Chevy's are just as good. Never owned one.
Grizz
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

FORD F150 FORD F150 FORD F150
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Supercab (2WD - 3.0 liter V-6) and love it. It has been virtually trouble free and has somewhere over 60,000 miles on it. Couldn't ask for better performance than it has given.
When I bought it I looked at a Dodge Dakota but the V-8 was way too much power for my driving style and that was all they had at the time. I had a Chevy S-10 at the time and it was a piece of junk from day 1. Not saying all Chevy S-10's are junk, I've owned good ones, but this one was falling apart at 40,000 miles.
To make a long story short, there are only Ford and Chevy, and Dodge dealers near me so that is all I was looking at. I've heard great things about Toyota, but I like to buy from local dealers so I have service available. I had just gotten married when I decided to shop for a new truck, and my wife's dad retired from Ford. I'm not particularly brand loyal to any of them but when she called her dad and got him to get me his discount on a new vehicle I became Ford loyal. For about 1/3 off the sticker price it was a real easy decision to go with Ford!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

we had a 1991 mazda b2200 in the family since new and just sold it last year. never had a problem and it would do anything you asked it too. my first vehicle is a 2000 mazda b3000 (3.0 v6 same as ranger) and i love it. Only thing i noticed was that it is somewhat light in the rear end and sometimes has trouble hooking up (wet and slippery roads) however with a load in it has nice ride and still has a decent ammount of power. the smaller trucks are cheeper on fuel and to buy in general. would never go away from one!
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.