B.C. natives win right to hunt at night

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

leonk

B.C. natives win right to hunt at night

Post by leonk »

They had lost their case every step of the way, but they convinced the Supreme Court majority they should be able to hunt with rifles in the dark, with the aid of a lamp, because their ancestors had engaged in the practice using torches and bows and arrows.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news ... 06&k=36792
BUCKSHOT

Humm

Post by BUCKSHOT »

If you can be charged with dangerous hunting in B.C, then there should be a lot of charges. It must be difficult to be aware of your backstop and what is beyond the target while shooting rifles in the dark!
The way that the hunting has evolved doesn't seem to be the issue, the problem is the fact that the ancestors used to hunt at night with a torch and bow and arrow!
Question, if they are using an argument like that, why would they not be made to practise the same method, with the same tools??!!!!
Crazy!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hmmm ... well, setting the immediate question of night-time rifle hunting aside, I'd say this:

I have always thought that native populations should be able to do what they want to do on their own treatied reservation lands, under their own tribal government. I don't believe national governments have any right to tell them how to live their lives on the small portions of land they've been allowed to retain for themselves and their own use. On land under the jurisdiction of national government, I believe natives should be subject to the same laws everyone else is subject to.

Now, as to illuminated rifle hunting at night, I think if they want to do it on their own lands, then that's up to them, whatever I or anyone else may think about it. On land I might share with them as a national citizen, I'd rather they couldn't.

That's my take:

On their own tribal lands, let them do their thing.

On national non-tribal lands, let them be subject to the same laws all citizens must observe.
Grizz
rutman

Post by rutman »

One more brilliant government decision!. :evil: I'm so sick of their stupidity/nievety. Some day someone with some grapes should run for gov! So much for protecting our natural resourses, first the fish, now the market of big game, lets see what happens when the go for the oil.??? :wink:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Daniele

Pick your battle!!

Post by Daniele »

My reply is a little off topic but i feel parallel, also it may shed some light on the naivety of our government and the astute thinking on the part of natives.
I have often thought that if Canadian Aboriginals want to retain all the hunting and fishing right/privileges they had before Europeans showed up they should definetly stick to canoes, horses, sleds or ways of trsportation
that were available before above mentioned occured; as well they should only fish and hunt with traditional means, I.E : harpoons, fishing lines, nets; bows and arrows, lances and the likes.
To refer to the heading of this post, i'd like to go the Caledonia Occupation as an example, this undertaking has cost ontario tax payers
Millions of $ and it's ongoing, no end in sight because none of our politicians have the CHUTZPA to call it a day and give these law-breakers what is due, instead they arrest non natives trying to make a point in their flawed execution of justice.
If the land in question belongs to the natives or First Nations, why is it that they haven't claimed all of the land in this Country? I'll bet all my money
( what little i have ) that they would not attempt the same scam on Toronto's waterfrfont or anywhere that they feel it would really not be tolerated, hence they have chosen Caledonia this time.
I can assure you that s--- would fly if it were in the face of elected officials and their families in their lavish mansions, or where it would jeopardize the playground/activities of of our turists and the rich and famous.Sorry for going a little off topic but it's my rant for the season.
Happy Holidays to all, Daniele.
Good hunting, be safe.
TYE

Post by TYE »

No offence to the natives, but I think this is bullshit.

If they want all their rights, it should be limited to archery only for them atleast, since they used bows and arrows back then, not rifles or shotguns.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

That's the way my ancestor's used to kill them too.

Can I now petition the government to allow me to hunt that way too?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I beleive it's tme for one big pay out to settle it all. These people, and it is only a small vocal minority, make a living from taking us to the cleaners with BS cases that have no merit in the modern world.

Meanwhile, they benefit from both laws. Yes, their ancestors were exploited, but name one ethnic group that wasn't. Conquered peoples have always been made to assimilate. Few have been given even this consideration. It might not be nice but it is the way of the world. I'm sick of paying for wrongs that were done 200 years ago. It's time to move on.

I remember once I was at a hunt camp practicing with my bow when a couple of natives walked up to me and began a conversation. I was young and thrilled. I thought that they might teach me a thing or two about archery. It turns out that they came over because they had never held a bow in their hands and wanted to see how these things worked.

So much for tradition and heritage....give me a break.

Sorry for the rant. I actually respect native culture and I like the native people I've met. I just can't stand the fact that their rights take precedence over ours. What happened to equality?
TYE

Post by TYE »

Highlander wrote:I beleive it's tme for one big pay out to settle it all. These people, and it is only a small vocal minority, make a living from taking us to the cleaners with BS cases that have no merit in the modern world.

Meanwhile, they benefit from both laws. Yes, their ancestors were exploited, but name one ethnic group that wasn't. Conquered peoples have always been made to assimilate. Few have been given even this consideration. It might not be nice but it is the way of the world. I'm sick of paying for wrongs that were done 200 years ago. It's time to move on.

I remember once I was at a hunt camp practicing with my bow when a couple of natives walked up to me and began a conversation. I was young and thrilled. I thought that they might teach me a thing or two about archery. It turns out that they came over because they had never held a bow in their hands and wanted to see how these things worked.

So much for tradition and heritage....give me a break.

Sorry for the rant. I actually respect native culture and I like the native people I've met. I just can't stand the fact that their rights take precedence over ours. What happened to equality?
I agree.
rutman

Post by rutman »

ARE YA CANADIAN OR NOT! If not there is no reason for any gov. cheques now is there!.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Let them hunt with a longbow and a torch see how well they will do, but I really find it hard to believe that native people invented the rifle and also the flash light. I am just amazed that everything they ask for they get, its about time the goverment says enough is enough.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
TYE

Post by TYE »

Maritimer wrote:Let them hunt with a longbow and a torch see how well they will do, but I really find it hard to believe that native people invented the rifle and also the flash light. I am just amazed that everything they ask for they get, its about time the goverment says enough is enough.
Yep.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
How could hey posibly go for this? I am not surprised considering what light sentances they give out for child offenders. It must be hard for these judges to think with there heads so for up there a$$es. I like to know what happens after some night hunting accidents?
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I have to say this goes right along with the Caledonia land claim. The government will not do anything, and there is so much that goes on here that no one ever hears about. I live about 10 mins away from the land claim and its crazy what goes on. This isnt just costing us millions ... guarenteed its costing us 100's of millions, you cant have that many police on staff and not have a huge bill. and whats this the 10th month? the government deffinetally needs to step up to the plate and stand behind something for a difference. I personally believe there should be no reserves, no laws that are different between anyone. pay one lump sum and everyone lives together and abides by the same law. This double standard is what is causing the problem. Once you segregate someone there always going to expect special treatment. But as far as the hunting at night goes? it should be one law for everyone, and i believe that the saftey factor is what would stop most moral and ethical hunters from actually hunting with rifles at night. Thats just my view on the topic tho. Happy holidays!
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Just because they did doesn't mean they should be able to.

My grandfather hunted without a licence, didn't need one, does that mean I should also be able to?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"