Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntman

Question

Post by huntman »

Hey Guys now that the season is coming to an end im already looking forward and planning for the 07 deer season. At the present time i am the proud owner of an Exomag 200 and i must say i love it and once heard it refered to the best x-bow ever made. Anyways what i'm getting at is im thinking of adding a second excalibur to the collection, doesnt make any sense why I have 8 shot guns but only 1 x-bow. What would you guys recommend i love the speed of the MAG and really dont want to comprimse on that but having said that, all i do is hunt deer i have no intentions on hunting bear or moose or any larger game. The excocet 200 is just about the same as i have and the max is just overkill in my opinion.... Any recomindations with a reason?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Huntman I have one of each almost ( He who has the most toys wins ) I would have to say the bow to fit your requirements would be the Phoenix or the Exocet . JMO
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Doe Master wrote:Huntman I have one of each almost ( He who has the most toys wins ) I would have to say the bow to fit your requirements would be the Phoenix or the Exocet . JMO
I would have to say the Vixen or the Phoenix .... Exocet would give you the same as your Mag 200 just a little shorter power stroke .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
korey99

Post by korey99 »

I have a 185 EMag and a Vixen...fits the bill for me. The Vix is great, as the kids are growing into it, and I don't mind lending it, as it's a handy "beater bow".

Pick your fav...that's the one you'll choose the most to hunt with, then pick "back-ups"...no need to overcomplicate your life in buying bows to confuse your choices...I have enough trouble deciding which stand to hunt each trip to woods, let alone which bow to use!

Good luck.....

korey99
huntman

Post by huntman »

I figured the vixen or the pheoneix (cause will excal dosen't make any other then the ones we mentioned) but i guess the reason why i really want a another bow is cause i have been out at least 35-40 times this season and I just dont want to wear my Mag down. It may sound fullish but why beat the crap out of something when i can afford to buy another bow. Maybe my best beat would be to go with the exocet 200 at least then it wont matter which bow im using i'll know they'll perform the same!
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'd say get a Vixen. Easy to cock for those longer shooting sesions at the range. It's no slouch as a deer hunting bow either.
Eight shotguns???? That's it???? If you're like the rest of us shotgunners you need one for waterfowl over decoys, one for waterfowl pass shooting, one for quail, one for grouse, one for pheasants, one for rabbits, one for slugs for deer, one for trap, three for skeet (12, 20 and .410), one for sporting clays, at least one vintage SxS (just because they're cool), one you inherited from a relative but you never use and you can't sell it because it's been in the family for 100 years, one for each of your kids that you plan on giving them "someday", one "rainy day" gun, one "snowy day" gun, at least three "back-up guns and one "beater" to loan to one of your buddies when his gun breaks down (even though he already owns between 25 and 30 shotguns). Tha's at least 21 shotguns, more if you have more than one kid. Get shoppin'!!! :D
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I might not own as many as Digger, or GaryL, but at one time or other, I've owned almost all of the Excalibur models. Currently I own only two. Exomag 200, Exocet 175. I love them both, and don't plan to part with either one.

However, having owned an Exocet 165, I feel it was a perfectly balanced crossbow. So, if I were to get another one, it would be one that's not available. It would have the Exocet 165's 15" rail, with the current limb forward risers. In other words, it would fit in between the Phoenix and the Exocet 200.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
hunter7558

get the most knock down power

Post by hunter7558 »

get the biggest fastest bow!!! I say he who knocks them down faster spends less time tracking and more time hunting!!!!! :P :P P.S. YOU DID NOT HAVE TO ASK THAT ? HERE YOU ASK ME ALL THE TIME WHEN WE HUNT!! :D :D :D
navaman

Post by navaman »

when TPM said the vixen is no "slouch" he is absolutely right. i used it to take my buck at 30 yards. with the the arrow combination and the little vixen i messed up that deer's day. i was very impressed with the perfornace of the vixen. i highly recommend it for a lot of reasons
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

First off . . .why do you have 8 shot guns? Answer that question and you probably have your answer to the xbow question. However, there isn't as wide a selection of xbows and there are shotguns. I have 3 shotguns, all gifts. I use the 16 gauge to hunt small game(a hot babe I dated in college bought it for me), sometimes I pull out the 410 . . .I've rarely used the double barrell 12 guage to deer hunt. In reality, I am very happy with the 16 guage and rarely reach for another unless I need more power . . .Actually, I was just fine with the 410 until the 16 came along.

If you just have a need for speed, then wait until next year and buy something really fast. Otherwise, you might end up with 8 xbows and 7 of them very lonely.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Unless you go down to a vixen for size or up to the max for speed I don't see the logic in another xbow. With that said I own three, LOL.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

You could get a forward riser for your mag, then you would have a 200 and 225, mag and max. The riser can be changed out with the bow strung in about a minute.