bad shot....long night....happy ending

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

bad shot....long night....happy ending

Post by GonHuntin »

Haven't posted here in awhile, but thought some of you might like this story.

I managed to slip out of the house yesterday afternoon for a quick bowhunt......I have been fighting an upper respiratory infection and cold for over a month and I finally starting feeling halfway decent this week. This infection has pretty much kept me out of the woods since the day before thanksgiving and I have really missed bowhunting and predator calling....kind of hard to do either when you are hacking up a lung! Up to this point, my season hasn't been very good.......the property I bowhunt is usually full of deer, but, until yesterday, I had seen only ONE deer while hunting, and it was a yearling.

The Hunt: Well, I got a late start and didn't get in my stand until 4:00......didn't see a thing until about 5:00 when I heard a deer walking........turned out to be a nice buck......this was the first time I had hunted this particular stand, I had put it up after a morning hunt awhile back and hadn't trimmed shooting lanes like I wanted to. Of course, the buck came out on my left where I had lots of limbs in the way......but I thought I could get an arrow to him. He was walking fast and I really had to hurry.....I held for 25 yards and pulled the trigger on my Exocet. At the shot, he ran about 35 yards and made a small half circle, then just stood there "humped up".......he was about 50 yards from me.....lots farther than I would ever shoot at an unwounded deer....but I would have shot at him again if I hadn't been looking through a screen of brush. I watched him stand still for approximately 10 minutes, then he walked a few steps and laid down.......he stayed there 5 minutes or so, then got up......I could see the hit was too far back.......he stayed where I could watch him for another 5 top 10 minutes, then slowly walked into the scrub oaks. I knew he was really sick, and he acted like he was liver shot, so I quietly lowered my crossbow, got down and made a big circle to get out of the area without spooking him. I don't know if I hit a limb or if I just didn't allow enough lead for the speed he was walking, either way, it was my fault for hitting him too far back.

The recovery: It was a LONG night! I really wanted to go back and look for him last night, but I knew if I did, there was a very good chance I'd push him out of the area and would never find him.....the temps were suppose to drop into the high 20s overnight.....I didn't sleep too well, and, about 8:00 this morning, I was back where I lost sight of him. I waited until I had good light before starting to look for him......even at 8:00 the frost was so heavy that the blood didn't show up well (the blood was easy to see when the frost melted!!). I was hoping he would lay down in the scrub oaks and that I would find him dead where I last saw him....no such luck! I found blood where he walked off and I followed it for 30 or 40 yards, then nothing. I circled ahead and managed to find blood 100 yards further and followed it as far as I could.......when that ran out, I started walking the ridges and creek bottoms glassing everywhere with binoculars.......I have previously recovered "lost"deer using this method.....it works....sometimes. Patience and persistence paid off.......it took a couple of hours, but I found the buck.

Unfortunately, the coyotes (or dogs?) did too.......when I walked up to the deer, there was hair scattered for 35 yards! I figured there wouldn't be much of the good parts left, but, to my surprise, the coyotes (or dogs?) hadn't eaten any of him!! I studied the scene, looking at the scattered hair and found blood mixed with it, a few yards away I found a bed with blood in it too.......it was clear that the coyotes (or dogs?) had found the buck while he was still alive!! I don't know why they hadn't eaten him, the only damage was to the hide on one rear quarter.....in fact, he wasn't stiff and was still warm......I'd guess he hadn't been dead more than a few hours.

He is the second largest buck I have killed with my crossbow and, after the way my season has gone, he is truly a gift!!

This is the way I found him.....notice the hair behind him that was pulled off his rear, that is a very small part of the hair that was pulled off of him......from the amount of hair scattered around, you would think the deer would be completely bald!!

TYE

Post by TYE »

Congrats! He's a beauty! :D

Good story. Explained it well. :)
Big John

long shot

Post by Big John »

I love a happy ending! :)
Congrats Gonhuntin you done real good!
You kept up the proper recovery technique and it paid off! 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Nice buck, job well done.
navaman

Post by navaman »

great story ! and that's certainly a great buck also. congratulations !
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Congratulations on a very nice Buck and a good recovery also. :wink:
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Congrats!

Great story.!

Oneshot...............
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice buck! Glad to hear you were able to find him and he wasn't ruined by the coyotes or weather. As for the cold & infection - I guess it's that time of year! I didn't even try to get out for the additional weekend of gun hunting last weekend, and I'm not sure I'll make the muzzleloading hunt here later this week. Hard to hunt when water's pouring out of your nose and you're breathing like a lung-shot deer. :roll:
wabi
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

I hear you wabi! The last day I tried to rifle hunt in November, I did so with a handkerchief stuffed up my nose so I wouldn't have to blow it every 30 seconds.......a man has to want to hunt pretty bad to sit in a treestand with a rag stuck up his nose! :lol:
huntman

Post by huntman »

great deer congrats!!! Awsome recovery!!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Terrific. Glad to hear you got him. That is good eating this winter.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice Buck my friend! :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO