pics from yesterday

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

pics from yesterday

Post by chris4570 »

I've been seeing or hearing deer pretty much everywhere I set up these past few days(which is a nice change!!!), but decided to try the spot where I lost the doe earlier in the season. I like a change of scenery every now and then.

I got in a little later than I had been but still had to sit an hour before light. I heard some deer leave one of the fields they had been feeding in, before light.

I rattled at first light. Had one approach me but never show itself. I'm right at the edge of a field, a decoy would be very helpful.

About an hour after sunrise, I caught a glimpse of a deer moving to my left.I didn't see antlers so I went for my camera.

They kept looking back, to where I had come in. I thought maybe another hunter was coming, or the farmer. The farmer doesn't like me :twisted: !

A little closer, looking back again. Maybe a buck?

They seemed to ease up and stop looking back, instead they were now focused on the brush to the opposite side of the field, although one was focused on me. So while I am taking pics I am glancing at the opposite side of the field, I heard a deer make it's way in there before light.

Someone doesn't like the lump sitting on the ground!

Last pic before they flagged and ran. It wasn't until they flagged and ran that I noticed the four had become five, with the fifth being a forkhorn. When I left I found where he had made a scrape. I guess that is why they were looking back at him.

Oh well I wouldn't have shot him anyways. But would have liked to get his picture. Didn't see any deer on the evening watch but did see a dozen turkey.
Last edited by chris4570 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
huntman

Post by huntman »

great shots Chris~~!! You don't have a doe tag? or are you just hunting for a buck?
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I can take either but am hoping for a buck with a decent rack. Not sure I'll get the chance to go out again though :cry: .
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
huntman

Post by huntman »

I know what you mean! I just checked the weather for the next couple of days and its the WORST wind to hunt my stands so i thinks its best to stay home, warm and dry!! never seen a deer with an East wind on this property. I dont think ill b going out either!!
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Great pics Chris! Would you say the deer are starting to yard up now?
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Skeeter wrote:Great pics Chris! Would you say the deer are starting to yard up now?
Don't know if they are yarding up as of yet. Several deer moving together is kind of normal. For the most part this location and the amount of use it gets is pretty consistant throughout the year. With the exception of lone bucks, anytime I saw deer this year there were two or more moving together.

There is, however, plenty of sign to indicate the third rut is near or here!! I checked several areas during the day and scrapes have been reopened.

"It CAN Be Done!"
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Those are great pictures anytime you can get them Chris.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Great photos...The farmer doesn't like you because???? I hope that trespassing isn't the reason.
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Great camara shots. That makes any hunt a pleasure.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Highlander wrote:Great photos...The farmer doesn't like you because???? I hope that trespassing isn't the reason.
Not trespassing. He doesn't own the land. He farms it. I am hunting land that is owned by the conservation authority for the area. I spoke with the Co for the area and he said I could hunt it, just didn't recommend it because it could lead to a confrontation.

The farmer doesn't like hunters. I had a run in with him earlier in the year. He tried to say hunters were stupid and that we might shoot one of his horses while he was riding it. I explained that hunters do not shoot( for the most part) indiscriminantly, and that I knew the difference between a rabbit and a horse. I told him that I was informed that I could hunt this area and if he wanted he could call the authorities, and they could meet me by my van when I come out. i've been back several times since and have yet to have anyone wait for me.

"It CAN Be Done!"
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Cool shots Chris ! ..... how close were they ? What camera are you using ? ... nice clean shots !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great pics!!!!
wabi
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Those are great photos!!!!
Big John

nice pics

Post by Big John »

Very nice pics chris4570! 8)

Looks like your still trying for the right Deer eh?
Me Too, was out today again for 8 hours straight. Heard two deer run by about 50 yds awy in the thicket. :evil:
I have not seen the big guys in weeks. but they are still there! :evil:

Good luck to you, it's not over yet!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sure enjoyed those pictures Chris.

Grey Owl