what do you do??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fudster

what do you do??

Post by fudster »

ok we found a new place to hunt scouted around put up treestand then the guy that owns the place comes unclued says we are 4wheeling in his hay field. tried to tell him it wasnt us but he doesnt believe us. the tracks are smaller then our truck like a jeep or dunebuggy.what do we do forget this place and move on or try to clear this up with the guy that owns the place??i say try to clear our names what do you guys say??
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

The issue is more than just your names. When you clear yourself you will be clearing all decent folks who respect other folks property (hunter and non-hunters). Take a tape measure and go visit the land owner. Have him watch you as you measure tire with of the tracks as well as the truck tires. Then measure the distance between the tire tracks in the field and again the distance between you truck tires. Look at the treads marks as well. He will get the picture real quick. I would also throw in a supper for him and his wife (if he is married) to show how much you appreciate him letting you use his land. Remember, the greatest success will come from understanding what interests him (he wants) in this matter. You can also track the 4 wheeler back to the loading point or neigbors yard. That is about all you can do. Your actions will speak louder than words.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Tom

Post by Tom »

If I was you, I would try to give him evidence that it was not you, but I would not push it, walk away if you see he is not listening.

A question I have is ..... Was this a one time deal or is it an ongoing problem with people trashing his field. If it is on going, I would find a trail camera and mount it up to get a picture if you can. Nothing like a picture to let him know who is causing thr problem. By the way, if youcan go INFRA RED, it would be best incase it is night and they see the white flash.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, if I thought someone had scarred up one of my fields, I'd want to know for sure whether they did or not, and would welcome their cooperation in showing themselves innocent. However, I know that anger and the stress of continued abuse year after year can get in the way of good relations. If I were you, I'd respectfully plead my case, ask if I could demonstrate that it wasn't me, and offer to help the guy repair the damage. Landowners like hunters who show respect for them and the land.

If he won't listen to or work with you, just thank him for his time and leave. Chances are time will prove you innocent anyway. Don't blow up and give him evidence to use against you in any way. Be gentlemen hunters, always, and do what you can to improve our image in public.
Grizz
fudster

Post by fudster »

thanx for the suggestion i think i'll give it a couple of weeks and go talk to him. he was realy p@## off and said get out and do not come back but he won't listen to us at this time.i hunted his place about 4 years ago without a problem but he must realize that hunting and 4 wheeling don't mix.i'll talk to him wish me luck.