how long is deer season ????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

how long is deer season ????

Post by wabi »

I see several members are now finished deer hunting for this year, and was curious how long the season is in different areas.
Here in Ohio it opened September 30, 2006 for archery and runs until February 04, 2007. Archery equipment is legal the entire season, but there are also special area muzzleloader hunts, gun season, and a late muzzleloader season thrown in the mix. If my math is correct that's 128 days of deer hunting available!
I have mixed feelings about the length of the season. I enjoy the hunting, and the long season gives me a chance to do a lot of hunting without too much interference with family & work. On the other hand, I have to be careful not to mis-judge the deer's age in the early season and end up with a little one, and I am reluctant to shoot a doe this late in the year because I may be killing 2 or 3 deer with one shot (pregnant does). Not that I haven't done it and will probably do it again, but it just makes me question the ethics of it in my own mind. I know the game department has to keep numbers in check, and I guess they know best.
This late in the season I'm actually getting a little tired of deer hunting. I guess I need to learn to spread it out more, but I'm usually really excited when it opens and devote nearly 100% of my hunting time to deer. I forget about fall turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, and other small game, and go after deer hard. By now I usually have a good supply of venison in the freezer (I have 2 out of 3 tags filled this year) and I start to realize that I could have spent more time hunting the smaller critters a couple of months ago. :lol:
BTW - squirrels have been thick the last few days! I've been seeing them everywhere as the little boy squirrels are chasing the little girl squirrels all around the woods. The landowner noticed the same thing, so we went squirrel hunting yesterday. He took a .22, and I took a shotgun so we could shoot plenty for his mom who wanted a good mess of squirrel. Yep - you guessed it right if you said "I bet they didn't see any!". Not one squirrel was to be found! There was a rain blowing in, and there wasn't a critter to be seen! We hunted for a few hours and never saw any game at all. I think I'll gather up some old arrows and grab the Phoenix today and go out again. If I see squirrels I'll either kill a few, or thin my overstock of odd arrows. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

January 21st is the last day of general gun season,I think there is a late muzzleloader season in some area's.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yep wabi we have a good season here fer sure. I still can tag out on two more URBAN doe's, and the Better Half still has her BUCK TAG left so still a chance for a MONSTER BUCK before the end of season. Any one notice if the bucks are dropping their antlers as yet, no sign here.

35 more days in the season :D yet .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Here in Ontario, the archery season starts Oct. 1 and ends December 31. In between these two dates, the rifle season lasts either one or two weeks starting on the first Monday of November. We also have a drawn type "controlled hunt", which lasts up to five days, during which either shotguns or muzzleloaders maybe be used.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Here in dear old Carolina the archery season begins the first weekend of September and runs until the first weekend of October. Then we have a week of muzzleloader season, and then gun season opens and runs until January 1. You can hunt with archery and muzzleloading equipment during gun season, too.

We are allowed two deer per day, with a total of six. You may take all of them in any season, or in combination. Two antlerless, two antlered, and two "Hunter's Choice." No tags. All we have to do is call in for an authorization number.

All in all, a long season with liberal rules and a fair number of tags.
Grizz
PRB

Post by PRB »

Here in middle TN (unit L) Archery from Sept 23rd to Jan 7th
One more weekend to go :cry:
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

In my part of Ontario, the season runs from October 1 to November 30. There's a two-week rifle season thast interupts it. Technically, you could bow hunt in the rifle season but you'd have to wear blaze orange., so no one does.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Our Archery Season runs from generally beginning of October till middle of November. 6 weeks No Sunday Hunting.

Our Gun Season runs for 1st 2 weeks of December. 12 Days No Sunday Hunting.

Our late Archery started Dec. 26th till Jan. 13th combined with Flintlock.
No Sunday Hunting.
chris4570

Re: how long is deer season ????

Post by chris4570 »

wabi wrote:. This late in the season I'm actually getting a little tired of deer hunting. I guess I need to learn to spread it out more, but I'm usually really excited when it opens and devote nearly 100% of my hunting time to deer. I forget about fall turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, and other small game, and go after deer hard.
I get a little burned out as well. My sleeping in is done during the work week, getting up at 5:45am. I haven't carried a .22 or a shotgun out of the house since hunting ducks in September. I love deer hunting but would like to get some squirrel, grouse, rabbit etc. Fortunately there is still some time for rabbit, and geese.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
huntman

Post by huntman »

Just as Comfybear mentioned that is the season on Ontario, however there is also a second "controlled hunt" shot gun or muzzleloader during the second week of Dec. I personally hunt deer from Oct 1 through to the 31 of Dec and participate in the controlled shotgun hunt in Nov. When deer open I dont want to hear about any other hunting I dont get sick of it infact im a little upset that its over!!! Although my wife is on cloud nine!!! Counting down the days for Oct 1 2007!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

GaryL wrote: Any one notice if the bucks are dropping their antlers as yet, no sign here.

35 more days in the season :D yet .... :D

Every buck I have glassed is still wearing antlers. I think they will hold out till past feb 4th.