Against the tide?!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Matthias72

Against the tide?!

Post by Matthias72 »

This poll is not polemic, I Love Excalibur crossbows (I've two, total seven on my crossbow group), but I'm very interested to know your opinion about what you would want to change (in better off course :D ) on the future models of Excalibur.

On My opinion the principal defects of Excalibur crossbows are:

1. At the "first look" they seem to be a little "poor" respect some other brand (for example new Horton HD 175). The riser is not camo, the shape stock is very "old style". (My dreams is a Horton or Ten point stock with Excalibur limbs and trigger system).

2. Vari-zone scope "clicks" are not perfect: some time it loose some one and suddently with vibraction it get all them together.

3. I would want some more aim point inside Vari-zone (I train at long distances).

4. The trigger is too short. Ok 3 Lbs are few, but with a trigger little longer (major lever) it could be much more precise and light.

What You would want to change?
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nothing but the stock maybe to a wood thumb hole style stock. The trigger is super however I must admitt I like my TenPoint trigger as it's about as perfect as one could get for me.

As for the camo stuff I differ with most as I feel I do not need it, that is the store camo stuff. As for looks we all have are preference's and sure can't please avery one!

Reckon that's why there are many different models of weapons out there, if one company don't have what ya want, maybe another will.

The main thing is Excalibur builds a very fine xbow and one that all can afford plus simple/easy to keep up :!: That's what makes EXCALIBUR, EXCALIBUR plus of course the upstanding/super no hassle WARRENTY :!: :!: :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TYE

Post by TYE »

I would like to see a comfortable thumbhole stock.
PRB

Post by PRB »

TYE wrote:I would like to see a comfortable thumbhole stock.
Yes what TYE said and a lighted Vari-Zone scope 8)
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Big John

improvements

Post by Big John »

All I would like to see is a vari-zone Scope that will eliminate Glare! :evil:
Glare has cost me more than a few Animals.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

All I would like to see is a vari-zone Scope that will eliminate Glare!
Would a longer tube on the end of your scope help eliminate this? No sales pitch but I wonder if my top mounted quiver mount would "shade" the scope some to do the same thing as a longer scope tube. Another thought is are you getting glare coming back up of of your rail? Would it be possible to dull that down if it is?

Just thinking out loud, or in print. :roll:
Why ride when you can walk!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My impression after this first season of owning one is that the Excalibur crossbow is a solid piece of work ... tough as nails and highly functional. I have few complaints, as I believe them to be just what they claim to be: excellent hunting crossbows designed by hunters for hunters.

Kudos to Bill T and crew for building a crossbow that is just what it advertising claims it to be ... a quality hunting tool that will go the extra mile right along with you.

Having said so, for the sake of honest evaluation, I would lodge a couple of minor complaints. After all, no product is perfect, right?

1. The finish on the bow limbs of my Exomax is definitely substandard. I am thoroughly familiar with cutting edge bow manufacturers, and I am sad to say that my Excal's limbs are about as roughly done as I've seen in a long time, and by no means compare to most finishes on other quality bows ... molding marks are still there, sanding marks are plain and sanding lines are uneven, there is what seems to be some sort of finish splatter on much of the surface, and not a few bubbles and some flaking are present in the finish. Not impressive.

2. The stock material is super slick when wearing mesh gloves during bug season. It's actually difficult to hold onto the bow. Some serious stippling on the grip surfaces would help immensely ... what is present functions only cosmetically.

3. I have no big problems with the stock design. It's about as generic as any stock designed for the masses. Length of pull is short for me; I think the comb is a little low for the mounted scope's position, and I do not like the comb's uncomfortable narrowness.

4. The cocking rope groove above the grip could be a bit deeper.

5. The crossbow is somewhat forward-heavy.

That's it. None of my complaints affect the Excal's wonderful accuracy or dependable performance. 1, 2, and 4 could use some attention, in my opinion. 3 and 5 are purely personal preference.

Again, I want to reiterate:

I am pleased with my Excal crossbow; I think it's well made and does what it's supposed to do. My complaints are minor.

Good work, Excal ... keep it up, and strive to be even better!
Grizz
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Grizzly, I agree whole-heartedly with your observations. If we lived in an utopia all those flaws would not exist. I suppose for a "fist full of dollars" Bill T. could make a "pretty" bow like some of the others out there. However, if I had to choose between a "pretty" bow or a functional one, the latter one would be my choice each and every time. I want a bow that shoots good, rather than looks good. On the other hand, I did spend approx. an additional $325 to make my Exocet 175 also look and sound better, by installing one of Mark's stocks. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

1.) Finish needs more Quality Control
2.) Groove for cocking aid MUST be deeper.
3.) Thumbhole would be a nice touch as a option
4.) I hate the quiver and have had arrows repeatedly plucked off the quiver. The design, placement and functionality of the quiver needs to be rethought. Almost everyone I hunt with has dumped the original quiver and has made something that works better. Walking down a paved road the quiver works fine. In the bush it has cost me arrows.

To think improvements are not needed in any product is ultimatelly a death sentence for the product and company. This is their forum and I would hope we would get some positive feedback on what issues Ex is dealing with. Speed is not the only thing that sells bows in the market place.

What are you guys working on.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
wabi

Post by wabi »

About the only changes I would like are an anti-dryfire mechanism (I like the way Ten-Point does it, just a pivoting block that catches the string if no arrow is loaded) and a scope base that extends just a bit farther forward, or an integral scope rail machined on the receiver and a rear sight that fits a scope rail would do it.
I do not like thumbhole stock designs, as I like to be able to easily move my thumb to the safety when shooting. Perhaps a choice of stock design would be the way to go.
As for the quiver mount, I think Dan Miller (and groundpounder) have offered good options, and either style mount is readily available.
Last edited by wabi on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I also love my excalibur and I'm very happy with it. It is extremely accurate, durrable, simple, and functional. It's perfect for hunting. I would like to make some changes to better suit my needs though. I agree with everything that Grizz said except for #3. I would love to see a better stock with a thumbhole. The one I have now was not comfortable at all to carry or hold all day. I had wondered if maybe I got a stock that wasn't totaly finished. It was actualy painfull untill I gave in and ground it down. Plus I think a thicker and heavier stock may give it better balance and less vibration. I would also add a few other things.

1. I would like to see a better safety that isn't so easy to flip without knowing.

2. A way to prevent dryfires would be great.

3. I would like the whole bow in camo.

4. I know it's not importat but I think I would get more enjoyment from shooting my xbow if it was quieter but still very fast.

5. I would like the bow to be lighter but I am not sure if thats realy even possible.

6. When I load a bolt, the vanes are bent where they touch the sides of the piece that the scope is mounted to. It is still quite accurate but it bugs me, so I would make more clearance for the vanes.

These are all changes that I would like to see to make the xbow perfect for me. I realize that other people want other things and everyone can't be totaly happy. Nobody makes a better xbow in my opinion so I am happy with my excal.

GaryL made a good point too. If I could get a xbow with all these changes, I wouldn't be able to afford it. It would be great if excal made some of these things like a better stock or sound dampening kit available as add ons that I could buy down the road when I could afford them, or if they let us build a bow and order it from the factory like a car. That way we could keep it as simple as we want or we could go for all the bells and whistles and the price would reflect our choices.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I like the existing stock design, not a thumb hole fan, though it is a bit short for me. I'm in agreement that the cocking aid groove should be deeper. Not a fan the the factory quiver mount. Makes carrying your bow with a sling a real pain. I think the groundpounder mount is the best I've seen and should be the new standard. I'm one of the Neanderthals who still uses the factory sights and my biggest beef is with the front sight. The fiber optic piece is WAY too vulnerable. Not a critical issue as the sights are still quite functional even if the fiber optic piece gets broken but it's still a pain.
On a larger scale I think that making a more balanced bow would make a much nicer shooting bow. I'm a long time shotgunner at heart so balance and handling mean a lot to me. Even with rifles, especially target rifles, this is an issue. Crossbows are inherently front heavy but there are ways to improve this. This easiest is to keep the rail length as short as possible to keep the weight as far back as possible. Excalibur has done a great job of this without sacrificing speed. Other than that all that can be done is to remove weight from the front end and add weight to the back end. I would make every possible lightening cut to front end components such as the riser and rail without comprimising the strenth and integrity of the component. This can be done by changing shapes, drilling holes and scalloping edges. In the back end some sort of provision would have to be made to add weight. With a shotgun it's easy, you just drill out the butt stock to remove weight or put lead weights in the stock bolt channel to add weight. A slightly heavier well balanced bow is a lot more comfortable to carry and shoot than a lighter unbalanced bow.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Camo scope with more light drawing capability and lighted reticles.
Camo on the deck and stirrup.
I liked the safety idea on the old ones that went to safe position when the string locked but the position of the new ones is better. LH and RH shooters.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I would like to see a vixen with enough forward sweep to give it a 200-225 lbs of pull. Not sure if it is possible without breaking but this would be a great flat shooting stalking xbow. Maybe even a little shorter than the vixen, 13 inch power stroke at 225 lbs should do the trick, LOL.

Well that is just a dream, I like them the way they are actually.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Heck, all this is great but I do think we're getting a little spoiled here. These are, for the money, the best bows out there.

I've got a deerhide brown Vixen and I'm absolutely pleased with it. The finish is actually great camo, all you have to do is step back twenty feet and look at it against the backdrop of the woods, to see that. It's good in the shadows.

I'll agree that Excal stocks are not perfect; they look a little blocky, but in my mind it's sort of like the old Browning A-5 humpback shotgun, it worked great and you learn to love its distinctive shape. (To keep your thimb out of the way I suspect.) It's sort like dating the girl next door who has character and a sense of humour instead of silicone add-ons and three layers of makeup. After you get over the looks, you quickly see the merit.

Having said that, I'd like a pre-drilled hole in the stock for lowering the bow from your stand and an Excalibur-designed hip quiver since I like my bow without any attachments. Oh, and since I like the factory sights, maybe improve upon them by adding more fibre optics wrapped around the sight and protected like on a lot of the new compound bow sights. It's be nice to get a little more hunting light out of them.

The truth is, though, this bow has exceeded my expectations on all counts. So too has the company. Can't beat that.