Soap

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Soap

Post by John Wade »

I know this has been done to death but I still am not getting a clear idea of what to buy if I don't want to buy the expensive "hunting detergents". The reason I'm opening this up for discussion is I just bought a new washer and dryer and as there is just me and my sons I've no pressure to use scents, softeners and brighteners.

Is there a recipe for making your own detergent that would suit my hunting purposes and still get my clothes clean.

(I also bought a new freezer which I won't have to taint with non-game meat.) :D

John "Organic" Wade :D
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

I use either arm&hammer or all in the free and clear type, all year on all my clothes and have no problems. There must not be much in the way of brightener in either as I have taken several deer within 15 yds. from the ground. I used to spend the extra money for the UV free and special soaps, but I have found it not necessary.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use Arm & Hammer baking soda or 20 Mule Team Borax for my hunting clothes.
wabi
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

Straight Borax? Cup for cup regular detergent portions. Cleans other clothing too?

jw
www.johnwade.ca
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

Straight Borax? Cup for cup regular detergent portions. Cleans other clothing too?

jw
www.johnwade.ca
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

I like the Arm and Hammer; the one that says" For sensitive skin. Free of perfume & dye".I put my nose right over the spout and can't smell a thing when it is consentrated. In a pinch I've even used it in the shower.
A.W

Post by A.W »

My local drug store has finally started to sell non-scented under arm deodorant.. $2.00. A lot less expensive than the hunt store stuff which was about $5-6.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I've been using sport wash and other hunt soaps. The borax plan has been on my mind for a while and I have been using baking soda in the dryer when I can't put them on the line. A friend just tried and tested a drugstore variety deodorant. I will let you know the brand, its cheap and works like a charm.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

All I use for washing soap is Tide Non scented. For the old underarm trick WallMart has Mitchem Non Scented and thats with me every season.

What alot of hunters don't realize is that on the highest level Business men go to work with a nice smelly deodorant and splash a little love possion on as well. These type of body cover for everyday use forms and stays in the skin pours for days. On the weekend you cut back and head for the woods but infact you can still smell the Wild Ice under your arm and the Cousin Hearys Snake oil behind the ears :wink:

A Good month before the season opener I quit using anything that smells and only use NonScented on any contact of the skin. I run by this all season long...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
rutman

Post by rutman »

A Good month before the season opener I quit using anything that smells and only use NonScented on any contact of the skin. I run by this all season long...
Diddo!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Arm & Hammer baking soda: Cheap but effective.
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Check out your local Walmart as they are selling hunting accessoires at dirt cheap prices. I noticed that they have the drier sheets "EarthScent" for about 3 bucks
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I use regular Ban unscented antiperspirant. I use baking soda for some of the washing (hunter specialties soap as well). I also brush my teeth and rinse with baking soda. I hang my clothes outside on the line to dry and leave them for days (including socks and underwear). My boots usually stay on the porch. I avoid scents during hunting season, eat extra apples (have found deer aren't repulsed by urine if I eat plenty of apples - in fact this year I've found it was a curiosity attractant.) When I've had to put clothes in the dryer because of rain, I toss a little bag of cut cedar branches in too.

I also carry a little mini bubble maker (one of the kind they give away at weddings) - I've added real vanilla extract and I use it to determine wind direction. The areas I like to hunt have swirling winds and the bubbles give me the confidence to know exactly how the wind is blowing from one moment to the next... I figure the vanilla can't hurt either.