I now remember why I always process my own deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deanmac

I now remember why I always process my own deer

Post by Deanmac »

I took a doe the last evening of the season. I was lazy and took her to a local processor. She field dressed 87.5 lbs on a scale. I have no reason to not trust the processor and was pleased with the job he did.

Well I got back my meat today and I got 10 lbs. cubed, 11 lbs. sausage, 3 lbs. backstrap and 8.5 lbs. ground. Total of 32.5 lbs, $72 for the fee, that is @ 2.21 per pound in the freezer.

Now this deer was bigger than 90% hanging in the cooler that day, including several 8 point bucks. I sure don't see how people can justify the expense of a doe fawn or button head. It would have to run over $5.00 per pound for processing.
Take a kid hunting and you will be rewarded
duber

Post by duber »

I agree . I like to butcher my deer myself. I also find that it tastes better when I debone it than when a butcher cuts it up bones and all.Plus I have nobody but myself to blame if its not to my liking.

TTFN Wes
175 Exocet
Vari-Zone scope
Gold Tip Laser 2's
100 grain Wasp Boss
Deanmac

Post by Deanmac »

duber wrote:I agree . I like to butcher my deer myself. I also find that it tastes better when I debone it than when a butcher cuts it up bones and all.Plus I have nobody but myself to blame if its not to my liking.

TTFN Wes
Agree with you,

I know I cut out more than a processor will
Take a kid hunting and you will be rewarded
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've never done it myself, but I'm thinking about it for next year.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Happy new year all!

I also like to do my own. Every scrap of meat is cut off the bone. What is not even good for stew goes into the freezer labelled as "Nelly snacks". Our dog's name is Nellwyn :wink: . I spend a lot of time in the field and respect my quarry too much to waste any of it.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Fox

Post by Fox »

I agree, we do our own deer and have been now for the last 3 or 4 years. I was even a little upset when one of our guys did not want to take the rib meat out of my button buck after the shotgun hunt because "its only a few pounds", I remember when we only got a few pounds a year of meat for each guy.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I wish I was set up to do it. I would love to.

Odd experience today. Picked up a processed deer that came home 1/2 - 2/3 the amount of the meat I've ever seen for a deer the size dropped off. I mentioned it to the butcher and she tore a strip off of me. I took it over to my friend as we were splitting and he was shocked too. There wasn't even a roast in the mix. She said it was a very small deer which it wasn't. In fact they commented when I dropped it off that it was a decent size. Maybe they say that to everyone.

He called her too and mentioned the lack of roasts and got a going over as well. She kind of rolled her eyes at first when I said (nicely) I was surprised how little meat we ended up with which I understand as lots guys/gals without experience harvesting a deer are surprised their first time with what they end up with. I however, used to be an animal control officer and shot and had processed more deer (in the city) then I can remember that got caught in fences, swimming pools, hit by car or into an area where they were going to cause an accident.

Oh well live and learn. Anybody can make a mistake but she didn't have to get so mad especially as I didn't make a fuss. That's why I wouldn't go back.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
xeon

Post by xeon »

If anyones thinking of doing it, I got this DVD for Christmas: Outdoor Edge Deer Processing 101. They go through EVERYTHING! They even show optional ways to cape your deer for a shoulder mount. And ofcourse, they spend over an hour showing you how to properly cut it up. $20 at basspro or cabelas.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I do mine myself too, self taught, I might add. It's much more rewarding that way and not too time consuming ( careful...sharp knives and beer don't mix, oh never mind). I never quite enjoyed the venison taste after my butcher cut through the bones. Today I debone everything and its MUCH better that way. The Cabelas 1/2 hp meat grinder was the best do- it-yourselfer tool I bought for sure. All cut off scraps get frozen for dads dog meat, nothing goes to waste.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I never have paid anyone to cut up a deer for me. Don't intend to, unless I become unable. Nothing wrong with that, but can't see the need. Nothing to it. Don't take long, either.

Here's what you need to process your own deer:

Outside:

1. 6 - bags Redi-Crete concrete mix
2. 2 - 12' X 6" X 6", pressure treated
3. 2 - 8' X 2" X 8, pressure treated
4. 32 - #20 sinker ring-shank galvanized nails
5. 4 - 3/8" X 6" galvanized lag screws
6. 3 - 3/8" X 2" galvanized lag screws
7. 4 - Simpson Strongtie T-shaped joiner plates, with branded nails
8. 2 - 1/2" X 8" eye bolts, with nuts and washers
9. 2 - galvanized pulleys, rated 400#
10. 1 - boat winch
11. 12' 1/4" steel cable, 2 1/4" cable ties, 1 3/8" s-hook
12. 1 - gambrel
13. 1 - cooler
14. 1 - skinning knife (optional)
15. 1 - boning knife
16. 1 - deer
17. 1 - good ol' country boy

Inside:

1. One loving country-gal wife to clean, cut-up, prepare, package and freeze boned-out meat.

That's how I do it, anyway.

We team up for sausage, summer sausage, jerky and such!

Grizz
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Nice hanger grizzly :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TPM

Post by TPM »

I used to belong to a rather large huntcamp and we always did our own. I would do my own now but I have a guy who does an awesome job at a fair price. I know what to expect from butchering in the past and this guy doesn't short change me. I get back the roasts, chops and hamburger double packaged and the steaks individually vacuum packed. He has a very clean operation and only charges between $35 and $45 depending on the size and how much initial clean up work is involved (apparently he sees a lot of bad field dressing jobs).
He charged me $40 for my buck this year and to be honest for the time it would take me to set up, butcher, wrap, clean up and get rid of bones and other waste I really feel it's money well spent.
TPM

Post by TPM »

BTW, love the hanger Grizzly! Looking at building something similar at our rifle camp up north.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Some assembly required. :D

I'd market a kit ... but think of the shipping prices!

Seriously, if you're going to work up your own, you've got to have a good place to get 'em up and get at 'em.

You could easily adapt a hoist for multiple carcass use.

We're building a house, and I'm going to tear down my existing hoist and build a real cadillac of a game hoist (not in the house, though that's an idea!) ... a friend gave me a stainless steel table from an old restaurant, and a two-well deep sink. I'm going to build one with a roof, lights, running water, a concrete floor with a drain, and a bench for friends!

C'mon over and sit for a spell.
Grizz
knobby

Post by knobby »

yah it kinda sux when they charge 'per deer'

around here they charge $40-60

but you bring in a 100# deer and I bring in a 200# deer and we both pay the same price....doesnt seem fair.

Some butchers are better than others obviously. I dont like the ones that skin it, saw it and wrap it. I mean c'mon I have seen some of them do that and only that. They skin it....saw it bones and all on a band saw and wrap it up.
Less than 1 hours work.

I have done both....done my own and also paid. Usually I pay someone else if I am on a trip away from home and get a deer. I'd rather pay someone to cut/wrap/freeze it while I get back to hunting :D