Dacron Flemish Twist Strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Post by TYE »

ComfyBear wrote:
Tye wrote:How come the switch from 24 to 28 strands?
Tye,
The reason is that after making the 24 strand string I noticed that the even though the dyneema material is stronger, it's also lighter than the FF, so I decided to experiment and made two strings using 26 and 28 strands respectively, and they both turned out great.

Even though performance and speed wise these two strings are similar and comparable to the 24 strand string, I felt that they might be a tad quieter, without affecting speed.

Also, when compared to the factory FFF string, the 28 strand is still a bit lighter, but just as fast, if not faster. However, there's no doubt in my mind that it's far superior in quality and durability. The 24 strand strings are great strings, and more than adequate, but wanting to produce the best strings possible, I decided to make all my strings using 28 strands.
Ahh makes sense :)
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi ComfyBear , i have a regular Exocet w/ mag tip limbs , i think its an 04 -05 model , the string that came w/ it was a daycron flemish twist , and yes it has to be set (twisted) once in a while cause of stretch , but the serving that came on it only lasted 2 bow tournament shoots ( i shoot several tournys a year), then the serving started falling off , had that string reserved , that serving only lasted one tourny, so then i bought a brand new string with that green serving that i had seen on other guys bows , and theres had lasted a very long time, and it must be good , cause i have had it on my bow for over a year now and its just starting to wear , i payed a little over 20 $ for it , so yes i would buy my strings from you if your serving is very tough and lasts a while ( do you know the green serving im talking about ?) i dont know what it is about it but i like it alot , it is very tough, i live up in Haliburton , so i could just mail u 20 $ and you could mail me the string, i really like the sound of how u seem like u take pride in making your strings , good quality counts , glad i seen your post . my email is - [email protected], if u could send some pic of your strings that would be great, i also have a few friend that would buy from u also, anyway iv rambled enough take care tks Dave.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Dave, I'm not sure exactly which green serving you're talking about. I do know that some of the older FFF strings had a Mid-Green serving, but it wasn't too tough. I know the Brownell serving I use is tough and wears well.

Brownell Crossbow serving: A 100% Hmpe material. Resin coated for that needed durability. .036 diameter. Colors are yellow and teal. I've finished my yellow spool and have started on my teal.

Here's a link to a post which shows a close up of my serving after approx. 50 shots. You'll have to scroll down to see it. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=serving

You can also go to the Trading Post for further details and another pic. http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=16605

Here a pic of one of the dyneema strings I've made for Digger, using the green/teal serving.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

You all might try Dyneema rather than the now hard to get fast flite (Spectra) all domestic production of spectra was requisitioned for the military which is why BCY's end servings are dyneema now and why Brownell's TS-1 (Spectra) is now TS-1Plus (Dyneema)

common Dyneema is 8125 or D-97 by BCY and Brownell's D75 and D75 Thin and TS1 Plus

a main advantage of the Flemish Twist is a greater lattitude in brace height which is why so many longbow target archers use them. I use the Excalibur dacron FT on my target bows but I am changing to the endless loop since I use t hose on my australian TNC rigs and I can make them much faster and more consistently but for hunting a FT dacron is probably the quietest string you can use
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Jim you're quite right. Honeywell which makes the Spectra (Fastflight) supplies the US military with 80% of their production, and the other 20% goes to the fishing industry. Personally I use Brownell TS Plus (100% HMPE) dyneema string material which in my opinion is very similar to Spectra, but better.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Dyneema or Spectra is a synthetic fiber based on ultra high molecular weight polyethylene which is 15 times stronger than steel and up to 40% stronger than Kevlar. It is usually used in bulletproof vests, bow strings, climbing equipment, fishing line and high performance sails in yachting. Dyneema was invented by DSM in 1979. It has been in commercial production since 1990 at a plant in Heerlen, the Netherlands. In the Far East, DSM has a cooperation agreement with Toyobo Co. for commercial production in Japan. In the United States, DSM has a production facility in Greenville, North Carolina which is the largest production facility in the United States for UHMWPE fiber. Honeywell has developed a chemically identical product on its own. The Honeywell product is sold under the brand name Spectra. Though the production details will undoubtedly be different, the resulting materials are comparable.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Jim C

Post by Jim C »

ComfyBear wrote:Jim you're quite right. Honeywell which makes the Spectra (Fastflight) supplies the US military with 80% of their production, and the other 20% goes to the fishing industry. Personally I use Brownell TS Plus (100% HMPE) dyneema string material which in my opinion is very similar to Spectra, but better.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Dyneema or Spectra is a synthetic fiber based on ultra high molecular weight polyethylene which is 15 times stronger than steel and up to 40% stronger than Kevlar. It is usually used in bulletproof vests, bow strings, climbing equipment, fishing line and high performance sails in yachting. Dyneema was invented by DSM in 1979. It has been in commercial production since 1990 at a plant in Heerlen, the Netherlands. In the Far East, DSM has a cooperation agreement with Toyobo Co. for commercial production in Japan. In the United States, DSM has a production facility in Greenville, North Carolina which is the largest production facility in the United States for UHMWPE fiber. Honeywell has developed a chemically identical product on its own. The Honeywell product is sold under the brand name Spectra. Though the production details will undoubtedly be different, the resulting materials are comparable.
I have made several strings of TS1+ and hundreds from 8125 and see no real difference. I have used recently ASB MAJESTY which is the FASTEST stuff going for recurves and their new serving material which I find best for TARGET crossbows (Compared to Crown or HALO or Mono). DSM's american production apparently was requisitioned as well with much of the remaining going to commercial fishing application.

have you found a difference between BCY-DSM dyneema and Brownell-DSM dyneema
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ComfyBear wrote:
Tye,
The reason is that after making the 24 strand string I noticed that the even though the dyneema material is stronger, it's also lighter than the FF, so I decided to experiment and made two strings using 26 and 28 strands respectively, and they both turned out great.

Even though performance and speed wise these two strings are similar and comparable to the 24 strand string, I felt that they might be a tad quieter, without affecting speed.

Also, when compared to the factory FFF string, the 28 strand is still a bit lighter, but just as fast, if not faster. However, there's no doubt in my mind that it's far superior in quality and durability. The 24 strand strings are great strings, and more than adequate, but wanting to produce the best strings possible, I decided to make all my strings using 28 strands.
Got my 28 strand strings today ComfyBear .... :D WOW they sure feel and look super. Will be testing as soon as the weather gets a little better.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

As to colors, may I propose the traditional brown and yellow might be nice! Just a thought, the choice is yours.

Regards
Joe
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

pokynojoe wrote:As to colors, may I propose the traditional brown and yellow might be nice! Just a thought, the choice is yours.

Regards
Joe
BROWN with olive green serving .... Looking super good .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

very nice looking string comfybear ill probly be contacting u for one in the next week or so , i have a paypal account , do u have a paypal account ? , if not email me your address and ill send the money to you, tks again --Dave.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

GaryL wrote:
ComfyBear wrote:
Tye,

Got my 28 strand strings today ComfyBear .... :D WOW they sure feel and look super. Will be testing as soon as the weather gets a little better.
Good that means I am next, LOL. I left my emag cocked overnight accidentally with my vixens forward riser installed. Now I got two nice little grooves in my serving, darn.

Only string I have left now is the excel and it gives me about a two inch brace height.

Comfy what color is are my strings going to be??
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

shurite44 wrote:Comfy what color is are my strings going to be??
The same as all the other ones I've made.

I've already got one made up for you, all I have to do is serve it, but I'm stretching it first.

This one is for Digger, but here's what it will look like:

ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Good, the serving looks nice and sturdy. My supercharged emag is eating up my serving now, LOL. Oh well.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

My servings are tough, after about 50 shots, the serving on the string I made for myself looks almost like new. However, I'm only shooting a Emag. When I had a Max, it was eating my serving too. :cry:

Of course that was on the factory string, and I'd like to think that as good as my servings were back then, I've improve my serving after I started using a serving tool, instead of my bare hands and teeth. :lol: :P
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Well Comfy I don't think leaving the darn thing cocked for almost 24 hours helped any.

I believe this was my old flemish fast flight that came on the emag used. Remember I screwed up the other one, that was my new one. My boy has a flemish on the vixen but I don't want to steal that yet, LOL. I already have the poor kid's riser on my xbow.

You think it is still safe to use this string with the grooves in the serving or should I put on the excel?