Phoenix Vs Exocet Vs Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rage_A_Holic

Phoenix Vs Exocet Vs Exomax

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Hello all! My name is Lawrence, and this is my first post on this forum. I am a long time member of Oscarfish.com, and I run the Photo Of The Month competition there. Anyway, I live near Toronto, Canada, and have hunting opportunities in Sudbury, and just outside Ottawa.

Recently, I spent some time up north with the in-laws, and decided to take up hunting. I have never been hunting, and there for know very little. I like to research my purchases before I spend my money; hence why I am here today. I have already begun that research, and after a multitude of hours I have come to the conclusion that I would like a recurve crossbow.

After further research I have decided on one of the Excalibur products. The Bass Pro Shops near us sells the;

Phoenix (305fps)
Exocet (330fps)
Exomax (355fps)

Therefore those are the three under consideration. My original understanding was that the Phoenix is intended for small game, the Exocet is for small-medium sized game, while the Exomax has been developed for small-large game. Under that information I decided on the Exomax, and have begun saving money for it.

However, after a bit more research it appears that the Phoenix is plenty for anything in North America, the Exocet, is a tad overkill, and the Exomax is far too much power than ever necessary. I recently saw a video on the Excalibur website of someone killing an elephant with 1 shot from the Exomax!

Anyway; I think I still want the Exomax; however the gentleman at the store seems fairly insistent that the Phoenix is plenty, and if I want to get a bigger bow, the Exocet is the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience with these bows? Can anyone advise me which bow is best?

Since I have not begun hunting yet; I don’t know exactly what I want to hunt. I am assuming deer; but what if I get an invitation to go Moose hunting? I don’t want to be in a situation where I have to buy a bigger bow to attend.

Anyway, I’m a tad confused, and am still strongly considering the Exomax. Can anyone offer any advice to the situation?

Thanks
-Lawrence
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Here is perhaps a better way to phrase my question. I am a fairly large guy, and have no problems dealing with the extra pull. And the money issues regarding the larger bows aren’t really an issue. Those factors aside, what are the pros and cons towards a smaller bow? Larger bow?

Correct me if I’m wrong; but isn’t the only draw back of a larger bow the price, and the added physical stress?

And isn't it a huge draw back of the smaller bow to potentially not be able to hunt all the game I may wish to in the future?

What if I got the Exomax... could I still go turkey hunting? What if I got the Phoenix... could I still go Moose hunting?

I think the situation I am in... is one where whenever I save up and make a large purchase, I always find myself wishing I went one step higher. At least if I buy the biggest model, I won't have to worry about wishing I had more power.

I suppose I am really asking.... price and physical stress aside; is there such thing as TOO much power?

Thanks
-Lawrence
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

This has been hashed over so much it's getting well sorta fun :lol: Do a search on SPEED and all your answer's will be there.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Well all three will take a moose no problem. If your into speed then go with the Max but it won't kill a deer any quicker then the other two. It will shoot flatter and get there quicker but it will be tougher on strings and more difficult to cock time after time when practicing. If your a big guy then you may prefer the feel of the Max as the rail is longer. Just keep in mind it still won't give you a fifty yard shot.
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Excellent Thank you.

Next question... I live in the city; and have a backyard thats about 15 feet long... haha

Anyway, where can I practice shooting? are there ranges that you can rent time at? or do I have to drive all the way up to nowhere, where I have friends with large proporties?
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

The Exomax has a draw weight of 225, the Exocet has a draw weight of 200 and the Phenoix has a draw weight of 175. I have an older Exocet and its draw weight is 165. This bow has been in the family and killed one moose and plenty of deer. My cousin has the same bow and has also shot a moose and a few deer with it. My father has an Exomag which boasts a 185 pound draw weight. He takes moose and deer every year with his bow. That being said it is more of a personal choice. I believe that what i have (the Exocet 165) is enough for all I will ever hunt. But like i said it is more of a personal choice. Like Gary said alot of people make their decisions based on the speed the bows shoot. The bigger the bow, the faster you can shoot a heavier arrow. But its more your own preference. The other draw back of the larger bow is its weight and size going through the bush. Hope this helps somewhat.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I don't know of any ranges that you could rent but maybe you could join a bow club in the area. There is one in the Newmarket/Aurora area.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Joining a club where there are avid crossbow shooters/hunters would also be a good idea, because you will be able to obtain knowledge from just shooting with them.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
ComfyBear

Re: Reply

Post by ComfyBear »

Jeeptag wrote:There is a public range in the park (i think it is seton park) just south of the Ontario Science Centre.
Your correct, but I doubt that they will allow crossbows.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wabi

Post by wabi »

You can hunt and kill anything in North America with any of the three bows mentioned, so you can't make a wrong choice from that perspective.
It really comes down to a personal choice on whether you feel that you need the biggest, baddest, fastest bow you can get, or are you going to be happy with a little less poundage & velocity but still have plenty of power to do the job.
I like the lighter Phoenix because it allows me to shoot a few more times before I get fatigued from cocking it. I've killed two deer with it so far this season and both were down & out within 50 yards or so, and I had to pull both arrows out of the ground on the other side of the deer which means there was more than enough energy to do the job. Both deer were within 10 yards when I took the shot, so the arrow velocity was not an issue either.
Every shot is it's own situation as far as the game's reaction to the noise, so it's impossible to set a hard rule as to the limit of an ethical shot as far as distance. But if you did the math comparing the time of arrow flight vs. the time it takes for a deer ot hear the sound and react it would really amount to very little gain for 40 or 50 fps. increase in arrow velocity. The faster arrow might add 5 yards or so to the "ethical range", but I'd rather be able to enjoy practice more and have to "hunt" a little harder to make up for that few yards.
Just my opinion (and you know what opinions are like :lol: ), but the lighter poundage has the advantage of less strain on working parts (both the crossbow's and mine!), perhaps a little less string wear, definately less stress on things in the event of a dry-fire, and perhaps a little quieter.
The heavy poundage offers a slight gain in ethical yardage, a little more arrow energy, and slightly flatter trajectory allowing a little more "forgiveness" in range estimation.
The choice is yours, but one thing I can promise - you won't regret buying an Excalibur!
wabi
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Thank you so much guys!

I am so glad I joined this forum. I think I have decided on the Exomax, because I don't mind the extra pull, and I think the longer deck will be nice.

I also, I like the idea of the flatter trajectory, and the ethical yeild distance... however minor it is.

Thank you so much for the tip about the park behind the science center. Any idea what the name is?
Tom

Post by Tom »

If you do a search on Record Ontario Moose you will find that it was taken with an Excalibur 150lb crossbow. So each and every bow you mentioned would be large enough for moose. Just remember that with the larger animals it is alot more vital to place your shot in the kill zone (best with a broadside, slightly angles away so you can place the arrow into the heart/lung cavity).

I know you have said that you have deceided on the EXOMAX and I am not trying to change your mind, just only trying to answer your previous question.

About downfalls to the Exomax. It is harder on strings, but not really too bad even at that. More difficult to cock. Remember that a crossbow (when cocked) only stores the energy which you have to load into it. For practicing, many have found that they get tired alot sooner with the max then with the lower poundage bows. This limits the time that they want to practice, not as fun when they get tired. Also remember that with the Max, your arrow will travel alot further on the pass through then with the others.

Advantages are mostly speed. The arrow has a flatter tradjectory and will get there just slightly faster then with the other bows.

Good luck and enjoy.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Digger

Post by Digger »

If your hunting deer and smaller game the Pheonix is the most and best you'll need. For moose, bear, elk and the like an Exocet 200 will do. I have used a Vixen or Wolverine, both 150 lbs, to hunt with over the last 16 years and find them quite enough to do the job.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Re: Reply

Post by Digger »

Jeeptag wrote:There is a public range in the park (i think it is seton park) just south of the Ontario Science Centre.
No crossbows allowed on their range..
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
xeon

Post by xeon »

Well first I would go here, to get your hunting licence course information:
http://www.ohep.net/
You need to goto a Hunter Education class before you hunt. Make sure you pass that and get your Hunting-Outdoors card (With Small Game or Deer ect) before you go hunting, otherwise if your stoped by a Conservation Officer, your liable to loose your crossbow... and your CAR(Serious!). I would also suggest getting your PAL (Possesion Aquisition Licence) so you could also go hunting with guns once in awhile, which is usually combined into a one-stop course that offers both the Hunting Course and Firearms Course. Gun hunting for small game is a bit more practical because ammo is cheaper than a lost arrow, but that usually doesnt stop me. Both ways are very fun, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Also, both of the courses are stupidly easy, and if you fail them, id take that as a sign that you shouldnt be handling something dangerous like a crossbow.

For your choise of crossbow however, im wondering if you could hold out until april? They NEW 2007 line of crossbows is coming out, and they have a couple new crossbows you could try. The only difference is the Thumbhole stock really, so if you would rather have that than the other stock, choise is yours. Also make sure you save up now to buy every single accsesory, because you will be hitting yourself later.

Most important thing to do if you want to go hunting is to get that hunter education course. Also, dont shoot small game like squirrels or rabbits unless you intend to eat them, otherwise let them live. No need for a sensless death. Racoons, Possum, Skunk, only take them if they are being a nusence, otherwise leave them be. Nothing worse than watching a grown man acting like a child shooting everything that moves for no reason. So if your not into eating rabbit, and you know someone who is, take them along. Also, start thinking about the things you have to do after the shot; such as field dressing... im sure if you have never hunted before you wouldnt have the first clue on what to do, so make sure you take an experienced hunter with you.

If you need anymore help on this, try calling the Minstry of Natural Resources and they know all the laws and such relating to hunting.