Vari-Zone lens fog

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PRB

Vari-Zone lens fog

Post by PRB »

I was on another forum talking about Excalibur coming out with a new lighted scope and I had a somewhat bad response about the original scope. The customer said (in so many words) that he was not satisfied with the quality of the scope because it fogged up in rainy weather. He said he went through two of them before he gave up on them. I told him that I had one a year or so ago and had taken it from hot to cold and from cold to hot and never had any trouble but I dont remember having it under any wet conditions.
Has anyone else had this kind of trouble ?
Last edited by PRB on Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
huntman

Post by huntman »

there is no doubt that it fogs up in the rain!! Its happened to me as well, but i try to prevent it from getting wet, and its fine. I would imagine if you choose to spend more $ on a scope you would prevent that from happening
ie. bushnell with weather guard.
But would that be a waste on a crossbow!?
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've had mine fog up in cold weather.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for the insight. I never did have mine fog up from the cold. So some of the high $$$dollar scopes work alright in wet conditions ? So I take it that there is nothing happening to this scope that woulddnt happen to any other scope of the same price range ?
huntman

Post by huntman »

PRB wrote: So I take it that there is nothing happening to this scope that woulddnt happen to any other scope of the same price range ?
I agree with this statement! The VariZone is not the best scope however it is very good and effective for what we need it for...
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have 3 V-zones and haven't had any of those type problems. I did return one because I thought it wasn't holding "zero", but still am not sure that was the problem. This past August, a friend and myself went hog hunting in Louisiana, he had a Horton xbow scope on a Vixen, I had my Phoenix w/ V-zone. We foolishly left them outside under the camper the first night and they were both dew covered the next a.m. Very little dew here in Arkansas. His ended up so fogged up you couldn't see through it months later. Horton replaced the scope, no problems, but the point is the V-zone did not have any problems. I would expect the new illuminated offering to be even more weather proof than the regular V-zone. In talking to Danny Miller, i learned that he has had some Leupolds fitted w/ crossbow reticules. The cost of the reticules installed alone was more than the V-zone sells for. I personally think the V-zone is a heck of a deal for the money.
"Eze 18:21"
PRB

Post by PRB »

Sounds great so far. Thanks for the help.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I too had a problem with my vari zone scope foging up and I took it back to my dealer and he just swaped me for another new one, I haven't had any problem with this one. M&M
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

This has nothing to do with anything on this post but id just like to say to Tye, Chargers baby, just wait, there gunna make Brady look like a fool!
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Bow Life wrote:This has nothing to do with anything on this post but id just like to say to Tye, Chargers baby, just wait, there gunna make Brady look like a fool!
L.T. is impressive, but I'm a Patriots fan :)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well so far I have had none of my VZ scopes fog up, They all have worked just great. Like a pair of glass however I would figure that in cold weather if ones breath hit the lens (back lens) it could cause fogging.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
PRB

Post by PRB »

Thanks for the replies. I guess it could have been a bad batch. I know if there was a big problem with them that Bill T. would want to have the problem addressed. Thanks again. I still think I will be getting the new lighted scope when its available.
M&M

Post by M&M »

just curious does anyone know who makes the vari zone scopes for excalibur the eyepiece end of it kind of resembles a burris scope I have. M&M
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Mine fogs up in some rainy weather.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Some people will have a problem where others will not, espically in cold damp weather. I have seen expensive scopes have this problem, mainly because of the extreem body heat being exposed to the lens at the time of shooting. The combination of cold, high humidity, cold steel, and then high body tempiture can cause this problem.

If you have this problem, just use a high quality anti-fog solution from a eye shop (glass wear).

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]