Odd rule in Oklahoma for xbow hunter's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shurite44

Odd rule in Oklahoma for xbow hunter's

Post by shurite44 »

I am thinking about a hog hunting trip in March. I have been looking at hunting in Oklahoma. The rule on xbows there is disabled only, and if you are from out of the state you can hunt with an xbow if you are disabled but only in a neighboring state with a joint border.

I don't get that one. I am a disabled hunter but from Ohio. I was looking at this place (Big Horn Outfitters), seemed like a nice place and cheap for hogs. But it says you go by the state regs, so I guess that means I could not hunt with my xbow there.

I wonder why just neighbor states? I know sometimes states share some regs because they share a border but this one seems odd to me. I would think a disabled hunter is a disabled hunter.
TYE

Post by TYE »

That is rather odd.

I kind of have a "dream" to hunt Saskatchewan, I've never looked into the regulations and requirements and stuff for that.

I also would like to hunt Ohio or Iowa.

I won't be able to do something like that untill I am much older though.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I would call the Wildlife Department and ask someone. I'm not aware of the "neighboring states" rule but I can't imagine that being an issue if you are truly disbled - you just need to carry a note from your doctor stating that fact. Another reason to contact them is that the hog isn't considered a game animal here and is quite the nuisance. People get authorization all of the time from the game wardens to spot light them at night via gun, bow, dogs & a knife, etc. so I can't imagine the crossbow being an issue. Again, call and ask...
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Tye,

I have rifle hunted for deer in Saskatchewan. It is awesome. You owe it to yourself.

Don't know about crossbow or archery rules there but if it is doable, one day I'll go back. Saw 70 shootable deer in a week and finished with a bruiser ten-pointer -- 275 pounds. That wasn't even the biggest bodied deer I saw. A guy we ran into had one that made mine look puny by comparison.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

These states/provinces need to get their act together.

My wife is handicapped (MS) and doesn't walk very well. We have handicaped plates in both vehicles and when we go state to state they are good for parking in any handicapped parking spot in any state/province.

Why should a handicapped individual have to get a permit from every state/province when he/she wants to c hunt there when he/she has one from his/her home state in his pocket?

The states/provinces need some sort of a reciprocal agreement on this stuff.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Highlander wrote:Tye,

I have rifle hunted for deer in Saskatchewan. It is awesome. You owe it to yourself.

Don't know about crossbow or archery rules there but if it is doable, one day I'll go back. Saw 70 shootable deer in a week and finished with a bruiser ten-pointer -- 275 pounds. That wasn't even the biggest bodied deer I saw. A guy we ran into had one that made mine look puny by comparison.
I'm not sure how I would hunt them (rifle, bow, shotgun, etc.) but I just want to go out there and give it a go.

A guy who's in my rifle camp up north, has gone out there and he got a whitetail tag, mule tag and pronghorn (antelope) tag and he said it was amazing.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Makomachine wrote:I would call the Wildlife Department and ask someone. I'm not aware of the "neighboring states" rule but I can't imagine that being an issue if you are truly disbled - you just need to carry a note from your doctor stating that fact. Another reason to contact them is that the hog isn't considered a game animal here and is quite the nuisance. People get authorization all of the time from the game wardens to spot light them at night via gun, bow, dogs & a knife, etc. so I can't imagine the crossbow being an issue. Again, call and ask...
Yep I am going to either send an email or call them. You never know until you ask, do you hunt hogs with your xbow in OK Mako?
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

shurite44 wrote:
Makomachine wrote:I would call the Wildlife Department and ask someone. I'm not aware of the "neighboring states" rule but I can't imagine that being an issue if you are truly disbled - you just need to carry a note from your doctor stating that fact. Another reason to contact them is that the hog isn't considered a game animal here and is quite the nuisance. People get authorization all of the time from the game wardens to spot light them at night via gun, bow, dogs & a knife, etc. so I can't imagine the crossbow being an issue. Again, call and ask...
Yep I am going to either send an email or call them. You never know until you ask, do you hunt hogs with your xbow in OK Mako?
Shurite - My uncle is a big time hog hunter with dogs and everything. He's got 9 live ones right now in a pen behind his house that he caught in live traps or hog tied when his dogs got them pinned down. He fattens them up on corn before slaughtering them quite a bit - but also doesn't hesitate to take his 45/70 along and shoot them when his dogs are clear. Given that, you'd think I would have been hunting hogs multiple times by now - just hasn't happened for one reason or another. I do have a standing appointment with him though now that deer season has wrapped up here so that I can get in on the action. Whether or not I use the Phoenix for it is still up in the air though. I'm a little hesitant to do it by bow - he has run into more than one hog that went 400+ lbs....

I've been told it's the poor man's grizzly so I'm sure you'll get quite the rush hunting them.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I've been told it's the poor man's grizzly so I'm sure you'll get quite the rush hunting them.
Poor man's Grizzly - I like that phrase. :D

How's the meat compare to grocery pigs.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Well in Ohio anyone can hunt with an xbow. But we have a great program for 100% disabled vets, free everything, fishing, hunting, tags, drivers tags.

I really would like to try hog hunting over bait from a stand I think for hogs. I may just call that hunting reserve and ask them, I am sure they will know the rules. But I read that on the OK state hunting faq's, so I would say it is true, but like was mentioned may be different for hogs in some areas since they are pests.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

shurite

I believe you are mistaken.......you don't have to be from Oklahoma or an adjoining state to hunt with a crossbow......you just have to have a disability certification from a physican licensed to practice in Oklahoma or an adjoining state.....
How can a person get a crossbow permit and who is eligible?

The Wildlife Department no longer issues crossbow permits. Hunters who have a permanent disability to the extent that they cannot use a conventional longbow, as certified by a physician licensed to practice in Oklahoma or bordering state, may hunt with a crossbow. A person who qualifies to use a crossbow shall have in their possession while in the field written evidence of such certification. Hunters with existing permits (lifetime crossbow permit) may use it for as long as the hunter hunts. If you go to our web site at www.wildlifedepartment.com/apps.htm you will be able to download a form that your doctor can fill out. You can carry your expired crossbow permit as proof of permanent disability instead of a new letter (since you had to have proof to get the crossbow license in the first place).

You don't even need a hunting license to hunt feral hogs on private lands.....might be different rules for commercial hunting preserves, but I haven't found any yet???? Looks like you might need a $5 permit to hunt on a commercial area.....(found that on the commercial hunting area application)

Hog Hunting on Private Lands
Feral hogs may be taken year-round on private land with the landowner's permission and hunters must comply with all current season regulations.
License Requirements: No hunting license required, except during youth antlerless deer gun, deer muzzleloader, deer gun, special antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun season (in open counties), and antelope (in open areas), hunters must possess a filled or unfilled deer or elk license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Guys, I think I can shed some light on this. In some states, feral hogs are not considered game animals. For example, I would need a DR filled out form to use xbow in La for deer, but not for feral hogs. I've been told but have no personal knowlege, that it's the same in Ok. Need permit for deer, but anyone w/ xbow can hunt non-game hogs w/ xbow.
"Eze 18:21"
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

John Wade wrote:
Poor man's Grizzly - I like that phrase. :D

How's the meat compare to grocery pigs.

jw
Depends on what they've been eating from what I've been told. Not sure which type of acorn it is (think it is Red Oak, but not sure), but if they have been eating on them they get pretty "fatty" and are just as good as a domestic hog. If they are on the thin side they aren't quite as good.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I read it wrong, the doctor has to be from OK or an adjoining state. Thanks for the clarification. That rule is even more odd though. I don't know any doctors in those states, LOL. I guess maybe I could try to find one.

Ok, is anyone hunting hogs in OK with an xbow in here? I am curious.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

awshucks wrote:Guys, I think I can shed some light on this. In some states, feral hogs are not considered game animals. For example, I would need a DR filled out form to use xbow in La for deer, but not for feral hogs. I've been told but have no personal knowlege, that it's the same in Ok. Need permit for deer, but anyone w/ xbow can hunt non-game hogs w/ xbow.
I don't think that is how it is in OK.