APEX TARGET BOW

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Yes it does and the instructional supplement indicates DACRON only. With the light weight and short power stroke you probably could get away with Dyneema but no real point to do so-its an idoor target bow-no way you would use this for a WCSA 900 round or the NAA style FITAS we are now shooting in ohio 70.60 50.30 meters.

dacron is far easier on the bow and the warranty says dacron only. a thick dacron 24+ strand string (heavy enough for the old 185 pound carved tip exomags circa 1999 or so) isn't going to be all that creepy with a light target limb like this bow.
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Digger

Post by Digger »

Jim,is there any way of putting a Point Blanc front end on the Apex or is the design that different or integral.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Digger wrote:Jim,is there any way of putting a Point Blanc front end on the Apex or is the design that different or integral.
Well the plastic stock is the same. The aluminum part of the stock is more like the vixen-the PB had that long extension past the riser.
the trigger is the same
the riser is different (most of the point blancs were cast risers-I have one of the LAST PB's NIB in my basement-I didn't check but the Apex has the forward slanting limbs-the power stroke and weight is about the same). the "front" end is part of the entire stock so all you would be doing is putting the apex riser and limbs on the stock of the PB

what I think I am going to do-is rather than trying to have someone machine a bracket that would fit the Apex Dovetail riser is to slap an excalibur Scope Mount (Danny brought be a couple yesterday) and put a non-magnifying non electronic tritium combat rifle sight on this bow. I had one for playing around wth (they are legal in WCSA and some guys used them in conjunction with a pivoting sight rail and a sureloc on the front) and since I would only shoot this bow at 20 yards I should be able to get a good zero
TNC and ACF Member
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

set the bow up without either the dissipator bars or the stabilizer I am planning to put on it-IE just out of the box. TNC legal 2114 X7 with feathers weighing 330 or so. (above the listed requirement for this bow). basic dacron string. took a few shots at my own range before taking it to the JOAD club. two warm up rounds-shot a 270. The bow is much much lighter than the PB's I have set up and I had no level on the bow. shot ok. The front sight is too big for serious target work. The new style risers(my last phoenix Danny was able to get me an older machined riser with the older style screw holes so I can put a level on it) looks nice but in all seriousness, they would have been better off using the older one where you can bolt a serious sight attachment bracket. The peep sight still has the good small hole version that the PB had (it has a screw in disc that is much smaller a hole than that on the hunting bows) The front sights are way too crude for target work. The current Ohio/Northern Outdoor Xbow winner from last summer is shooting one of my heavily modified PBs and he shot it. He said the trigger was fine but he liked the more substantial stirrup on the PB-I myself-didn't find that a problem at all.

I will see a couple of the excalibur guys on their way back from the ATA.
I don't know if they can still machine the older style machined riser that takes the bolts rather than the dovetail but that would be an improvement. the little martin sight sold with the last generation of PB Deluxe bows mounted on a riser bracket would be a smart move.
TNC and ACF Member
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

set up the apex with a set of dissipator bars and a stabilizer that originally came with one of my point blanc deluxes. I note the stirrup extensions went in easily but trying to remove one (to install the DB's) was problematic and the bar unscrewed from the bolt-I suspect the tension might have caused the bolt to freeze in the female part of the riser

If you get one of these bows, they do shoot better with the DBs and the stabilzer. removes lots of the jump taht gets annoying if you are going to shoot this bow 60-90 times in a row as I do. I won't try making it into a serious target bow because I don't have the means to cut a dovetail mounting bracket to put a serious sight on it. I might throw (if I can find it) one of those non-battery, non magnifying reflex sights on it because fine tuning the basic sight that came with it is a pain.

BTW I always shot flemish dacrons on m PBs but I am coming to believe the endless loop jobs-once you get the brace height where you want it-are more accurate

BTW Danny, Josh Pete and Rob came by today on their way back from the ATA and I got to handle one of the new thumbhole jobs. I have two new phoenixs set up for 3D and a vixen deluxe and an old exocet set up for hunting but I might have to get one. THey balance really well
TNC and ACF Member