Came to the dark side.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

redmandant

Came to the dark side.

Post by redmandant »

Hey all, I finally bought myself a excal, after many years hunting vertical.

Its used but in excellent condition. 185lb exomag.

Couple of questions..

The limbs are the older carved style, any concern with them?

Can I get the sound dampeners(rubber bumpers that press on the limbs) to go on this bow? Or need I bother?

The string was off when I got it, how many twists should I put in the string before I put it on?

I won't be shooting thousands of bolts thru it, its mainly for turkey hunting on sundays.

Thanks in advance :) DAN
I know I can't spell but does it look like I CAIR!!!!!
shurite44

Re: Came to the dark side.

Post by shurite44 »

redmandant wrote:Hey all, I finally bought myself a excal, after many years hunting vertical.

Its used but in excellent condition. 185lb exomag.

Couple of questions..

The limbs are the older carved style, any concern with them?

Can I get the sound dampeners(rubber bumpers that press on the limbs) to go on this bow? Or need I bother?

The string was off when I got it, how many twists should I put in the string before I put it on?

I won't be shooting thousands of bolts thru it, its mainly for turkey hunting on sundays.

Thanks in advance :) DAN
Regular string only on carved limbs, no flemish or excel

Yes I have limb savers on mine, I don't think they help much, also will slow your speed a little

You need to string it and see where your brace height is, distance of the serving from the riser where it connects to the rail, you also should have a mark or maybe two marks on the rail indicating proper brace height.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dan,
Yes, there is one important rule to follow with carved limb tips - Dacron strings ONLY!
You might want to read my post on strings on the thread http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=16622
As for the dissapator bars and pads I don't think they really make a huge differance when using dacron, and I have even removed them from my Phoenix since I switched to using dacron. Just didn't want to have to fool around with taking pads on/off to unstring, and they really don't seem necessary with a dacron string. I believe all Excalibur offers is the standard endless loop string, but ComfyBear makes strings and was thinking of adding dacron flemish twist strings. I just made myself a flemish twist dacron for my Phoenix, and it is a little quieter than endless loop.
The brace height should be measured from where the riser meets the rail and should be somewhere around 1". There was a post some time ago with pics on how to measure, perhaps someone will post the url. Seems like all my Excaliburs like a 1 1/8" brace height for a good compromise of speed and less noise.
wabi
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Brace height

Could do a search and find a lot of information on brace height. As for the carved tip limbs you can change them to MagTip limbs later on.

Have Fun and thats a great xbow the 185LB.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks Gary L.!
That's right where all my Excaliburs have performed best - 1 1/8"!
wabi
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Hey Dan,

Welcome aboard. you're going to find that this side isn't really dark at all....It's still bowhunting. All the same rules apply.
redmandant

Post by redmandant »

thanks guys, one stupid question, what is a flemish string? Surite44 says no to flemish, then wabi mentions flemish twist.

I am so confused :?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Do a search under FFF, and you will find a lot .... :D

here is two to get ya started.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hlight=fff

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hlight=fff
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Had to laugh over the darkside caption. Have a friend who use to say that, then he thought it wasn't so bad after he saw I could not harvest a deer any easier with the xbow than he could with the compound. Still yardage, branches :evil: and nervous deer to worry about. Enjoy the forum and your xbow. They'll both treat you well. Welcome
redmandant

Post by redmandant »

Thanks for all the repies guys, just doing some checking right now and the brace height is 1 1/4 inches with 6 twists so I should put maybe 2-3 twists in the string or just let is sit a bit. It hasn't been strung in quite some time but it is the original string.

When I shoot it it makes a heck of a whack! Guess I am just used to my compound, but man this thing is fast :shock:
wabi

Post by wabi »

A dacron string will usually settle in and stretch a little if it's been off the bow for some time. It will probably be close to the correct length after a few shots.
wabi