Pop Up Blinds and Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Pop Up Blinds and Crossbows

Post by BryanOney »

Want to try a pop up blind with a crossbow next year. A crossbow takes more space to shoot than a compound. What is a good roomy pop up blind that would work well shooting a crossbow. What do people sit on in these things. Would a 5 gallon bucket or a lawn chair be best.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I have the Ameristep Grizzly. I think I paid around 70 bucks off ebay. It is 5x5 and you can almost stand in it, it has vertical sides. The windows open up three different configurations. One is a small square hole about 1x1, then a large horizontal window 1x3, or you can have shoot through screens over the 1x1 square window.

It is plenty of room for just myself, sometimes my 11 year old son and I are in it together and it is a little tight. Usually if we are together I don't take my xbow.

So far I have no complaints, for the price it is a descent product.

I just took out a couple old lawn chairs. I think it is best to have two chairs, that way you can switch sides to shoot without moving your chair.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Actually, I found that my compound took up more room than my Vixen, mostly because of the extra room it took to for me to draw (my elbow space, etc.)

I have an Ameristep Outhouse blind (small dia.) which is large enough. I have been busted however by slight movement of the bow because it is so close to the window. Am hoping that my next blind will have shoot thru mesh to eliminate that problem. Maybe a Double Bull blind?

If you're not going to be relocating too often, go bigger. But if you'll be hauling it around on your back quite a bit, lighter is nicer. I use a little folding stool that I can tuck right in the carrier that the blind comes in. I've also hauled in a small heater in that bag for the cold days. Didn't take me long to decide that blinds are the way to go!
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have the Aneristep doghouse that works well with a xbow.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I have the Hunters View Wigwam (5X5) & find it very comfortable with my Xbow.

I use a lawn chair without armrests in it & love it.

In the coulder weather I use one of those folding stadium seat cushions on the chair & can sit all day in the tent quite comfortably.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I have used the Ameristep Outhouse in the past and it was too small so now I use the Ameristep Doughouse and it is PERFECT!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
Last edited by Brampton Mike on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a cheapie, only bought it because of the shoot through mesh.

On the weekend I was in Bass Pro, they had a small foam seat that fit on top of a 5 gallon pail (pail not included) and the foam pad swiveled silently, made for this application. Looked a lot like the ice fishing one commonly seen, but with a swivel.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use the Ameristep Doghouse (5' x 5') and find it has enough room.
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

This is the one I have. Plenty of room for TWO hunters..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=321445

Another one that looks good..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=277914
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I've used an Ameristep Doghouse for several years, both with a vertical bow and a crossbow. It is large enough for either.

This christmas I bought myself a present, an Ameristep Signature series "Intimidator" blind,

Have not had a chance to use it yet, but it is quite a bit nicer than the doghouse. The material is different, it is softer and has no glare at all.

Ameristep Blinds

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

I got the doghouse for Christmas. I will try it in the Spring. It looks roomy.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I've got a Double Bull Matrix that I like very well - although this will be my first turkey season with it.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Ameristep Doghouse for me !!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Makomachine wrote:I've got a Double Bull Matrix that I like very well - although this will be my first turkey season with it.
Ooooo... The DB Matrix! That's what I'd love to have! :lol:
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I've taken a few animals from a Double Bull blind and all shot through the mesh. For places where I can easily set it up I use one of those folding camo chairs. Other places where distance and the added weight is a problem or I have to haul it in or out same day I use a Roll-A-Chair or other lighter folding chair. I also bought the Wild Thing backpack. Carries the blind, chair and all your gear really well. The pack has a pocket thats made for the cam and limb of a compound to pack it too. I took the stirrup from my crossbow and put it in the pocket and used the strap to hold the stock or rail and it carries a xbow fine. Puts the wide part at your hips and it's really easy to walk with it.