No
79%
Let someone else make my choise
No votes

Total votes: 43

xeon

New Forum Topic?

Post by xeon »

Hey, I just did a bit of thinking and I think it would be a good idea to start up another main forum topic. The idea would be an Off Topic section, as this is a Crossbow Hunting forum, and theres no where else to put other topics that dont really relate to hunting.

Any suggestions for this are welcomed, wether you think its a good or bad idea, let me know, I would rather you tell me than think it. Im trying to find out from all of you if you would like that idea first before I tell one of the moderators the suggestion. Now come on, lets hear what you think.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I voted yes. Since, if an off-topic (i.e. miscellaneous) section was added, it would remove non-hunting topics from the crossbow/hunting section. However, how soon thereafter, would someone else suggest than another section also be added so that the Off-topics could be more specific and related to each other, and if so where does one stop from wanting more and more topic specific sections.

Added Jan. 12/07: I forgot to add.....so maybe I should of voted NO.
Last edited by ComfyBear on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
BUCKSHOT

Humm

Post by BUCKSHOT »

In most cases the guys on here seem to offer opinions on most anything that interests them!
If they are not interested they will usually avoid a post, I voted NO because I feel that if you have a question or something neat to offer and share, fill your boots on the regular forum!
If you get feedback or info, good for you, if not try to search somewhere else on the web!
A lot of times if you want off-topic info, guys will shoot you a helpfull pm and all is well! :wink:
JM.02cents. :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have to agree with Buckshot on this. If thew O/T doesn't interest me I won't open it.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I agree with buckshot too!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Xeon ...

Just my opinion, but you wanted to know what we think! :D

I think the old saying well applies: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" :)

And the Excalibur Crossbow Hunting forum is by no means broken, despite the many O/T topics seen. True, many things posted by many of us have little or nothing to do with crossbow hunting, but I can tell you why that is:

Any forum that works and enjoys a lot of participation becomes something of a cyber-community; friendships develop, good feelings abound, and all the natural sharing of life that attends any community also appears on the forum ... thus the jokes, the pictures, the "Can you believe this?" posts, the "Hey, guys ... check this out!" posts, and all other O/T subjects.

Does that clutter the board? Well, technically, I suppose it does.

But if it is insisted that all such be relegated to a specific site just for that, it kills the spontaneity and warmth that makes the original forum such a friendly and fun place ... and it inevitably follows that not nearly so much spontaneity and warmth shows up on the forum "just for it," because people won't take the time. Imagine being at a family reunion, and having a rule that every time you wanted to discuss something other than the family, or tell a joke, or catch up, or whatever, you had to go into a side room to do it. It just doesn't work as well.

I say keep the forum as it is. If folks don't want to read a post, they don't have to open it.

If a "NO OFF TOPIC" posting rule is enacted :shock:, I think it will do harm to the nature and atmosphere of the forum.
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I think when the membership grows it will become nessasary to keep the fluff and hunting stuff seperate. I have seen it change considerably in the past month alone.
gad

Post by gad »

Digger wrote:I have to agree with Buckshot on this. If thew O/T doesn't interest me I won't open it.
2nd Buckshot agree.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
TPM

Post by TPM »

I think Grizzly explains it well. The sense of community can be lost if you start to fragment things. I like to think of this forum as a group of friends or family with common interests sitting around the spam table talking. I'd hate to have to get up from the table and go to different rooms just to talk about different things.
Last edited by TPM on Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote:I think when the membership grows it will become nessasary to keep the fluff and hunting stuff seperate. I have seen it change considerably in the past month alone.
Yeah, but it seems to me that the content of any hunting forum changes with the seasons, and invariably becomes more O/T related as hunting season winds down. I'll bet a search of the archives would prove this true.

Good observation, though, Pydpiper! :) Did you notice the slowdown in posting during the last days of hunting seasons?! Just natural.
Grizz
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I still wouldn't mind a separate area for 3D and target shooting discussions... That way it would be organized and easy to access. I don't think it costs anything and it might encourage different aspects of the sport.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

I would hate to have jump back and forth. As stated, if the topic does not interest me I will not open it, but I have to admit I view every topic.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I had to vote no too . . .never know when a off topic might interest you. I wouldn't want to miss something really cool.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi all , this is an Excalibur forum lets leave it to Excalibur related topics or around about related to Excalibur hunting & target shooting topics , thats my opinion . Have an Excalibur day. - Dave
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

I also voted NO , there are some great and funny posts on here , that keep things light and running smooth, not like some other forums were its very confrontive and the old MY DOG IS BETTER THAN YOURS stuff going on. Most of us that have been here awhile look forward to a good joke or information about other members, as this site has sort of become a very large extended family , Just my 2 cents worth GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]