Coyote medicine?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Coyote medicine?

Post by chris4570 »

I don't own any .22 centerfires, will a .22lr if used on coyotes, 50 yards and under, be sufficient? Head shots only.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
hawg hunter

22lr

Post by hawg hunter »

If the truth be known that little rimfire cartridge has killed more game than all the rest put together. In the hands of good shot it has kiled everything from rats to grizzly bears. The answer to your Question is yes.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

if I were you chris I would try to borrow a centerfire rifle. Coyotes are pretty tough animals and can take a beating. If you only take heads shots using round nose bullets (not hollow points) it should do the job but it is still iffy. If you do miss your mark and hit his jaw he will die a slow painful death and no animal deserves that. Every hunter must strive for clean efficient kills no matter what he is hunting and in this case a .22 LR in my opinon is just not the right choice. Use enough gun and put a good bullet through his chest.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I'm with buckeye.
rutman

Post by rutman »

50yrds or less, I'd throw one for the lungs, big target and less in the way. Bye bye yodle dog! :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Allan wrote:I'm with buckeye.
Likewise.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Cedrus wrote:
Allan wrote:I'm with buckeye.
Likewise.
Same Here
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Ditto
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

rutman wrote:50yrds or less, I'd throw one for the lungs, big target and less in the way. Bye bye yodle dog! :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
I'd prefer that shot than a headshot - although you probably still want a larger caliber, IMO. I've killed a few in my day when I was deer hunting that didn't go 5 feet - several with a .30-.30 to the torso and two with a broadhead through the lungs. Put one in the boiler and they go down quickly.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

Chris

I've dispatched enough animals in traps to know that the 22 is not a reliable killer on something the size of a coyote unless your shot is perfect!

You may be the exception, but I'd guess 95% of shooters couldn't keep 2 shots out of five in a coyotes head at 50 yards when the adrenaline is kicked in and they are trying to keep him from getting away! It's one thing to place your shots in a stationary target from a good rest......it's another thing to hit a moving 3" target (size of a coyotes brain) at 50 yards while you are excited and shooting from a field position!

I do a lot of coyote hunting......I've called in and killed a pile of them with .222, .223, 22-250 and 243.......I have seen too many require a second shot with those calibers to ever trust a 22 rimfire.......
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try with the Exocet instead. I know that will do the trick!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Chris,
Do you have a shotgun? For coyotes at close range that might be a better choice. I'd try a range of shot size from #2 lead to #4 buckshot and see what patterns best out of the gun. There is also a new "heavi-shot" load in T-buck called "Dead Coyote" that is specifically made for coyote hunting. They claim it is good up to 60 or 70 yards depending on the gun. Haven't tried it (yet), but it sounds good. Don't know how you plan to hunt, but night time calling (where legal) is a good method with a shotgun.
wabi
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

That's what I was armed with last weekend. Took some 3" 12guage turkey loads with the undertaker choke. 50 yards or less, I was pulling the trigger. Was using #5 , but will probably grab something heavier for next time.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

As far as a rifle is concerned, 223 or 222 is bare minimum. Anything less is cruel since it will leave wounded animals to die on their own. If you can call them in close #4 Buck is a good choice from a 12 gauge. You can't use Hevi-Shot unless your shotgun barrel is hard enough to shoot steel. Hevi-Shot is great and extends your pattern out to about 60 yards, but it will gouge the hell out of older barrels and chokes.

I have also had coyotes get past a 223 so right now I am using 17 Remington (no not them dang 17 HMR and 17 Mach II's) which will really jelly their insides and not cause much fur damage. On occasion I also use 243.

I'd use your crossbow or get a gun that will handle the game. I'm a firm believer in "not" leaving wounded critters out there so I wouldn't use a 22 for anything but squirrels and rabbits.

DrDan
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Myself I use a .22-250 Husqvarna Nitro, projecting a Nosler ballistic 55gr. Sure turns small critter quickly. With a quality placed shot, small and medium game just drop.